Sign In

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Redux Ideas thread — Page 121

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I guess the idea was for Kylo to be a reverse Luke Skywalker in the way that he progresses from someone who is unsure and unexperienced in the “path”, and by the 3rd film becomes a fully fledged and dedicated follower of said “path”.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

thebluefrog said:

Imagine if Kylo had straight up killed Palpatine at the start and been the primary antagonist. TLJ turned all the villains into jokes, with Hux being ragdolled around, Snoke dying like Jar Jar, and Kylo throwing a tantrum at Luke. Phasma not so much, but she was wasted too, so…

Getting Kylo back on track to be a genuine threat would’ve helped raise the emotional stakes and made his evolution over the trilogy more interesting.

Unfortunately…I don’t think this is editable with current material. Probably 10 years away to be able to edit that with deepfakes and video games.

That was the intention with The Last Jedi killing Snoke, to set Kylo up as Episode IX’s main antagonist. That’s what Colin Trevorrow’s Duel of Fates did as well. I think that was the prevailing idea forward until Abrams’ came back.

Of course, Treverrow’s script didn’t handle it particuarily well either, contriving an excuse for Kylo to get an even more Vader-ey mask and having him lose the final fight because Rey becomes a bad fanfiction grey Jedi using both the light and dark, and with later revisions pulling the ‘last minute turn to the light’ and making one of the Knights of Ren (coincedentally, one that was very much not visible during the flashback in TFA, because a) she’s a woman and b) she has the darksaber) be the eleventh hour final boss.

Because it’s so obvious in the TFA flashbacks that none of them are women?

Author
Time

None of them were pink OR had a bow.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

thebluefrog said:

Imagine if Kylo had straight up killed Palpatine at the start and been the primary antagonist. TLJ turned all the villains into jokes, with Hux being ragdolled around, Snoke dying like Jar Jar, and Kylo throwing a tantrum at Luke. Phasma not so much, but she was wasted too, so…

Getting Kylo back on track to be a genuine threat would’ve helped raise the emotional stakes and made his evolution over the trilogy more interesting.

Unfortunately…I don’t think this is editable with current material. Probably 10 years away to be able to edit that with deepfakes and video games.

That was the intention with The Last Jedi killing Snoke, to set Kylo up as Episode IX’s main antagonist. That’s what Colin Trevorrow’s Duel of Fates did as well. I think that was the prevailing idea forward until Abrams’ came back.

Of course, Treverrow’s script didn’t handle it particuarily well either, contriving an excuse for Kylo to get an even more Vader-ey mask and having him lose the final fight because Rey becomes a bad fanfiction grey Jedi using both the light and dark, and with later revisions pulling the ‘last minute turn to the light’ and making one of the Knights of Ren (coincedentally, one that was very much not visible during the flashback in TFA, because a) she’s a woman and b) she has the darksaber) be the eleventh hour final boss.

Because it’s so obvious in the TFA flashbacks that none of them are women?

I think (hope) he just means that none of them had the Darksaber…

Author
Time

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

Author
Time

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

Author
Time

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

That’s fair, that script was far from perfect… but it was a lot better than what Abrams turned in. Like pole-vaulting over a crack in the pavement.

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

That’s fair, that script was far from perfect… but it was a lot better than what Abrams turned in. Like pole-vaulting over a crack in the pavement.

I really, really don’t agree. It’s not better, it’s just different bad.

There are a lot of cool elements, but there are elements so bad that they drag the rest of it deeply below the final product for me.

Author
Time

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

That’s fair, that script was far from perfect… but it was a lot better than what Abrams turned in. Like pole-vaulting over a crack in the pavement.

I really, really don’t agree. It’s not better, it’s just different bad.

There are a lot of cool elements, but there are elements so bad that they drag the rest of it deeply below the final product for me.

I don’t know. Any attempt at originality is better than more member-berries.

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

That’s fair, that script was far from perfect… but it was a lot better than what Abrams turned in. Like pole-vaulting over a crack in the pavement.

I really, really don’t agree. It’s not better, it’s just different bad.

There are a lot of cool elements, but there are elements so bad that they drag the rest of it deeply below the final product for me.

I don’t know. Any attempt at originality is better than more member-berries.

We’ve had this conversation before, but I strongly disagree. Originality can be good, but only when done well. The same can be said about nostalgia. DOTF was bad originality, TROS is bad nostalgia. They’re bad in different ways, but they’re both equally bad.

Author
Time

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

Probably because we don’t have the script that actually features her to determine.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

Probably because we don’t have the script that actually features her to determine.

Even if we had the script, she would probably still seem like a last-minute afterthought. Trevorrow has never been good at writing compelling villains, and the plot outline that was posted doesn’t feature her much at all. She shows up for the final fight, dies, and that’s her entire screen time. She feels like Darth Maul 2.0.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

StarkillerAG said:
Even if we had the script, she would probably still seem like a last-minute afterthought. Trevorrow has never been good at writing compelling villains, and the plot outline that was posted doesn’t feature her much at all. She shows up for the final fight, dies, and that’s her entire screen time. She feels like Darth Maul 2.0.

Then that’s exactly what she should have been. Bring the entire story full arc referencing Episode 1’s Sith.

Have her wield the double blade, and have everyone question why is she a total Maul ripoff?

And then she reveals her identity, and why she hates Ben Solo so much:

She’s Qira.

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

DominicCobb said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

Probably because we don’t have the script that actually features her to determine.

Even if we had the script, she would probably still seem like a last-minute afterthought. Trevorrow has never been good at writing compelling villains, and the plot outline that was posted doesn’t feature her much at all. She shows up for the final fight, dies, and that’s her entire screen time. She feels like Darth Maul 2.0.

I’m not gonna doubt it, but it seems weird to be so definitive when we don’t have the script, only secondhand reports.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

StarkillerAG said:

DominicCobb said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

Probably because we don’t have the script that actually features her to determine.

Even if we had the script, she would probably still seem like a last-minute afterthought. Trevorrow has never been good at writing compelling villains, and the plot outline that was posted doesn’t feature her much at all. She shows up for the final fight, dies, and that’s her entire screen time. She feels like Darth Maul 2.0.

I’m not gonna doubt it, but it seems weird to be so definitive when we don’t have the script, only secondhand reports.

I know we can’t be definitive, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for a magic script that fixes everything either. Judging by Colin’s earlier work, it doesn’t seem like he’s very good at franchise movies.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

StarkillerAG said:

DominicCobb said:

omnimuffin said:

JakeRyan17 said:

omnimuffin said:

I mostly meant that we know who all of the actors for the original Knights were and they were all male, and also that none of them had the darksaber.

We also know that the original “actors” weren’t actors so much as stand-ins for later.

Also, no one knew that Moffat’s Gideon had the Darksaber until he pulled it out. It’s quite portable. Also, who knows, maybe she didn’t acquire it until sometime in the years between that flashback and a year after TFA/TLJ takes place.

I just feel portraying it as an impossible plot hole is a bit much.

That’s a valid point.

That said, the scripts do not make her feel like a very good villain, haha.

Probably because we don’t have the script that actually features her to determine.

Even if we had the script, she would probably still seem like a last-minute afterthought. Trevorrow has never been good at writing compelling villains, and the plot outline that was posted doesn’t feature her much at all. She shows up for the final fight, dies, and that’s her entire screen time. She feels like Darth Maul 2.0.

I’m not gonna doubt it, but it seems weird to be so definitive when we don’t have the script, only secondhand reports.

As much as I absolutely despise linking to his website, we do have a credible (but disgusting) leaker’s notes on it:

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/i-read-colin-trevorrow-and-derek-connollys-final-star-wars-episode-ix-script/

(my reluctance linking to it comes from the fact that the proprietor of Making Star Wars is an absolute creep who doesn’t deserve the clicks/traffic monetization money.

Author
Time

Battle of Exegol Rescore

I’ve got a concept of added musical score for the beginning of the Battle of Exegol, reusing the “Resistance deployed” motif from the battles of D’Qar and Crait in The Last Jedi. (For comparison, the original scene features no music whatsoever after the cannons begin firing)

https://youtu.be/nkDUIIyLk4w

The music that plays right before the battle is already reutilized from an earlier scene in TROS, so I thought it wouldn’t feel unfitting to add another canned track (and for me it’s less jarring than adding a prequel or OT theme).

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:
The music that plays right before the battle is already reutilized from an earlier scene in TROS, so I thought it wouldn’t feel unfitting to add another canned track (and for me it’s less jarring than adding a prequel or OT theme).

Oh wow this is awesome 😄 !

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Daisy Ridley on the evolution of Rey’s lineage
https://youtu.be/6ELygTJL8Xg

Gad: Have you been keeping Rey’s secret from the beginning. Did you know about the parentage?

Ridley: No. At the beginning there was toying with an Obi-Wan connection. There were like different versions and then it really went to that she was no one. Then it came to Episode IX and JJ pitched me the film and was like Palpatine’s granddaddy and I was like “Awesome!” Then 2 weeks later he was like “Oh we’re not sure.” So it kept changing. Even while we were filming I wasn’t sure what the answer was going to be.

Edit: This puts the line uttered by Kenobi in TFA into perspective, “Rey…these are your first steps”. It is likely that there were versions of TFA were Rey was explicitly related to Obiwan, and that this line is a remnant of that.

And yeah, it actually looks plausible now that the whole “You are a Palpatine” thing could have been recorded a few weeks before the release in Adam Driver’s closet…

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Welp, that totally puts that whole train of speculation to bed.

To be fair, I suppose we do have to acknowledge that Vader-as-father only came in an early ESB script, and Leia-as-sister only existed as an idea for ROTJ, so Star Wars does kind of have this ‘laying the tracks before the train’ approach.

But still, I don’t think that justifies this lack of oversight and planning for what should have been a cohesive trilogy from the start.

EU media will gradually embed Palpatine-as-grandfather in the canon more solidly, but personally I’ll always prefer Rey Nobody, especially knowing how little it mattered to the production team.

Author
Time

EddieDean said:

Welp, that totally puts that whole train of speculation to bed.

To be fair, I suppose we do have to acknowledge that Vader-as-father only came in an early ESB script, and Leia-as-sister only existed as an idea for ROTJ, so Star Wars does kind of have this ‘laying the tracks before the train’ approach.

But still, I don’t think that justifies this lack of oversight and planning for what should have been a cohesive trilogy from the start.

EU media will gradually embed Palpatine-as-grandfather in the canon more solidly, but personally I’ll always prefer Rey Nobody, especially knowing how little it mattered to the production team.

+1

Italian faneditor.

EDITS LIST:
CHOSEN ONE - A STAR WARS STORY (3-in-1 prequels).
Personal saga: I - SHADOW OF THE PAST. II - KEEPERS OF THE PEACE. III - RISE OF THE DARK SIDE. IV - THE SON OF SKYWALKER. VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Just look for them in the forum, and PM me for links if interested.

Author
Time

EddieDean said:

Welp, that totally puts that whole train of speculation to bed.

To be fair, I suppose we do have to acknowledge that Vader-as-father only came in an early ESB script, and Leia-as-sister only existed as an idea for ROTJ, so Star Wars does kind of have this ‘laying the tracks before the train’ approach.

But still, I don’t think that justifies this lack of oversight and planning for what should have been a cohesive trilogy from the start.

EU media will gradually embed Palpatine-as-grandfather in the canon more solidly, but personally I’ll always prefer Rey Nobody, especially knowing how little it mattered to the production team.

All valid points. I very much get where they got the impulse to freewheel it- not wanting to tie themselves down and wanting to recapture some of the ‘free’ atmosphere of the original trilogy, which, like you said, was equally freewheeled original trilogy. It was definitely a mistake.