Sign In

Star Wars The Lost Cut: Everything We Know About It — Page 2

Author
Time

https://screenrant-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15809033858840&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fstar-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene%2F

After watching your video this was the main point of contention regarding the falcon gun special effect shot. I know you got that info from a wikipedia page that I feel is incorrect info and I don’t blame you for taking that statement at face value.

The link above describes the shoot out where Greedo comes to collect Jabbas money and they both get caught up with the stormtroopers. Greedo dies and Han escapes.

Kind Regards

Author
Time

I do agree that the Falcon’s under-cannons being originally meant for Star Wars is a little far-fetched. Especially since no version of the script points this out. Not to mention the piece of scenery is definitely Echo Base instead of Docking Bay 94 (mist included). It’s a fun rumor, wherever it started, but I think it’s pretty well incorrect.

I feel like I must also warn you that ScreenRant’s reputation is not the best… Though you should also remember Greedo has many dopplegangers in the deleted Jabba scene.

I’m just here because I’m driving tonight.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

True that it is perhaps “not” greedo at this point just a henchman of little importance.

It’s interesting that it is the same thing or same story executed differently kept the basic ideas and reshot via pickups.

I think that is an important observation. It’s unlikely there will be any huge deviations from the story we know.

Any Pick ups or reshoots would be based on something already present but an effort of improvement it would seem.

This is the only reference to an alternate for that scene and all we can do is accept that the actor probably is telling the truth.

The torture droid scene on the deathstar has the guard by the door change to a diffetent actor… Is this a reshoot? Which actor was the original actor for the scene? I have often wondered about this or if it was a bad shot of the torture droid entering the door? Could be anything really only we know something was reshot meaning something there was swapped. Or the droid itself was not ready in time? Perhaps it was an addition to the scene?

I really don’t know the answer only that the Guard by the door changes.

Author
Time

Ronster said:

The torture droid scene on the deathstar has the guard by the door change to a diffetent actor… Is this a reshoot? Which actor was the original actor for the scene? I have often wondered about this or if it was a bad shot of the torture droid entering the door? Could be anything really only we know something was reshot meaning something there was swapped. Or the droid itself was not ready in time? Perhaps it was an addition to the scene?

I really don’t know the answer only that the Guard by the door changes.

That is interesting. We do know about a few reshot scenes for Empire Strikes Back, but not very many for the original Star Wars. Star Wars Aficionado did once publish a photograph of the original Leia stun scene; apparently in the original shot there was a very blatant up-skirt that had to be toned down.

There’s many explanations for that actor change. The most probable one is that the two shots were captured on different days and the coverage cut together well enough that they didn’t feel a need to correct it. Once you start trying to track the smaller actors (Rebel pilots, Imperial commanders), you realize there was too much for the continuity people to keep track of effectively. Nobody but us madmen are going to notice things like this. 😃

There is a possibility of some original reshot scenes existing in Jympson’s original assembly. The location shooting was definitely done and over with by this point (so Luke’s alternate poncho scenes like in the canyon were likely never part of an edit unless Jympson plainly chose different takes than Chew/Marcia Lucas/Hirsch), but the Elstree shooting at this point would have been very flexible.

I’m just here because I’m driving tonight.

Author
Time

Ronster said:

https://screenrant-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15809033858840&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fstar-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene%2F

After watching your video this was the main point of contention regarding the falcon gun special effect shot. I know you got that info from a wikipedia page that I feel is incorrect info and I don’t blame you for taking that statement at face value.

The link above describes the shoot out where Greedo comes to collect Jabbas money and they both get caught up with the stormtroopers. Greedo dies and Han escapes.

Kind Regards

I could see George thinking about changing when the Greedo scene happened and how it happened and getting something alternate, but I’m pretty sure that if this was filmed that it was never in any cut.

Author
Time

Tack said:

Ronster said:

The torture droid scene on the deathstar has the guard by the door change to a diffetent actor… Is this a reshoot? Which actor was the original actor for the scene? I have often wondered about this or if it was a bad shot of the torture droid entering the door? Could be anything really only we know something was reshot meaning something there was swapped. Or the droid itself was not ready in time? Perhaps it was an addition to the scene?

I really don’t know the answer only that the Guard by the door changes.

That is interesting. We do know about a few reshot scenes for Empire Strikes Back, but not very many for the original Star Wars. Star Wars Aficionado did once publish a photograph of the original Leia stun scene; apparently in the original shot there was a very blatant up-skirt that had to be toned down.

There’s many explanations for that actor change. The most probable one is that the two shots were captured on different days and the coverage cut together well enough that they didn’t feel a need to correct it. Once you start trying to track the smaller actors (Rebel pilots, Imperial commanders), you realize there was too much for the continuity people to keep track of effectively. Nobody but us madmen are going to notice things like this. 😃

There is a possibility of some original reshot scenes existing in Jympson’s original assembly. The location shooting was definitely done and over with by this point (so Luke’s alternate poncho scenes like in the canyon were likely never part of an edit unless Jympson plainly chose different takes than Chew/Marcia Lucas/Hirsch), but the Elstree shooting at this point would have been very flexible.

I don’t think they did many reshoots. The ones they did do were for the Cantina. The way the film is edited (and after trying to do a scene by scene correction/restoration of the BR I’ve seen some interesting things) seems like they made use of what they had. The FX shots often cover some issues and those were done last. The several shots of R2 from the Death Star control room used for other locations is a good example. And some of the gaffs in the R2 shots (the various versions of the character gave them many issues and you can still see some of them in the final film). Reshoots would have hidden those but weren’t done.

Author
Time

yotsuya said:

Ronster said:

https://screenrant-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15809033858840&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fstar-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene%2F

After watching your video this was the main point of contention regarding the falcon gun special effect shot. I know you got that info from a wikipedia page that I feel is incorrect info and I don’t blame you for taking that statement at face value.

The link above describes the shoot out where Greedo comes to collect Jabbas money and they both get caught up with the stormtroopers. Greedo dies and Han escapes.

Kind Regards

I could see George thinking about changing when the Greedo scene happened and how it happened and getting something alternate, but I’m pretty sure that if this was filmed that it was never in any cut.

What you see in the finished film “is” this scene with the greedo / Rhodian character edited out.

Author
Time

Very good video. Looking forward to the changes to EMPIRE and JEDI videos.

Author
Time

Ronster said:

yotsuya said:

Ronster said:

https://screenrant-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15809033858840&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fstar-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene%2F

After watching your video this was the main point of contention regarding the falcon gun special effect shot. I know you got that info from a wikipedia page that I feel is incorrect info and I don’t blame you for taking that statement at face value.

The link above describes the shoot out where Greedo comes to collect Jabbas money and they both get caught up with the stormtroopers. Greedo dies and Han escapes.

Kind Regards

I could see George thinking about changing when the Greedo scene happened and how it happened and getting something alternate, but I’m pretty sure that if this was filmed that it was never in any cut.

What you see in the finished film “is” this scene with the greedo / Rhodian character edited out.

And how can you tell? That scene described is not in the script where everything else in the film is. IF it was filmed, and that is a big if, it was an alternate take. You are taking one actor’s word over everything else we have that says that there was never anyone else in that scene. Because one actor says he was in a scene that shouldn’t exist is no reason to insist it should exist. It most certainly wasn’t in the Lost Cut that we are talking about. Or any other cut. From the scene as finished, only Han is shooting. So no trace of it in the script, no trace of it in any known footage, and the conclusion is no alternate scene and the actor is mis-remembering. You have to use logic and reason when researching these things and when you don’t find the evidence, then it never existed. Just like the shot of Luke throwing the grappling hook and missing before he succeeded. I clearly remember it, but there is not a shred of evidence that it ever existed outside the book. It was never in the script. One of those clumsy edits in the film does hint at it, but as far as we can tell, it is just the shot that fit when editing, even though the continuity is off.

Author
Time

The fact that this was filmed at some point isn’t entirely out of the realm of possibility (even if it is unlikely). A similar scene with an Imperial bureaucrat named Montross was cut out of the script rather last minute. If it had been filmed, Han’s escape from Docking Bay 94 would have been quite a bit different. That they may have tried the same thing with a Rodian gunman isn’t entirely out of the question, but I’m going to require quite a bit more evidence before I consider it.

In any case, this is surely something David West Reynolds would have brought up in his original Insider article. I don’t think we should assume it was part of the original Jympson assembly, nor any other edit.

I’m just here because I’m driving tonight.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ronster said:

yotsuya said:

Ronster said:

https://screenrant-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15809033858840&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fstar-wars-greedo-han-solo-deleted-scene%2F

After watching your video this was the main point of contention regarding the falcon gun special effect shot. I know you got that info from a wikipedia page that I feel is incorrect info and I don’t blame you for taking that statement at face value.

The link above describes the shoot out where Greedo comes to collect Jabbas money and they both get caught up with the stormtroopers. Greedo dies and Han escapes.

Kind Regards

I could see George thinking about changing when the Greedo scene happened and how it happened and getting something alternate, but I’m pretty sure that if this was filmed that it was never in any cut.

What you see in the finished film “is” this scene with the greedo / Rhodian character edited out.

oojason said:

The thread has been somewhat cleaned so it is now back to being about 13las’ video project on ‘The Lost Cut’.

Both the mods and 13las don’t want to see repeat of what occurred in here earlier - thank you.

I strongly suggest you pay heed to this - I don’t want to have go through all that we’ve been just been through again, and nor does anyone else.

Please feel free to post such claims and any others in your own ‘Lost Cut’ thread - but not in here - not without more substantiated evidence other than an assumed / ‘could have been’ scenario… thank you.
 

I hope you all enjoyed 13las’ Lost Cut video - and his project in here on it (without the false & disingenuous claims that it was something to do with the Prequels or other similar nonsense that descended into a mud-slinging match).
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

I find that answer vague and unconvincing. Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves?
Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

I hope we can keep the discussion open about what was shot and what might be included in this cut. But I think it is clear that the Lost Cut we are discussing probably followed the script pretty closely and that a lot of trimming was done to get down to the final edit. I have an fan edit in mind that would put back and undo as many of the changes as are possible, but with the final music and FX left in place. So I am very interested in what all exists that we can use to get as close as possible to this cut.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

yotsuya said:

I hope we can keep the discussion open about what was shot and what might be included in this cut. But I think it is clear that the Lost Cut we are discussing probably followed the script pretty closely and that a lot of trimming was done to get down to the final edit. I have an fan edit in mind that would put back and undo as many of the changes as are possible, but with the final music and FX left in place. So I am very interested in what all exists that we can use to get as close as possible to this cut.

I Think the video on the lost cut was good overall I have pointed out where I disagree on one point. I don’t really feel it is possible to talk openly about it here. If I start to try to explain why I said something it will cause even more trouble.

Nobody has to agree with my opinions I don’t mind people disagreeing with me. As much as I would like to elaborate on what I said and the reason why I said it and I do feel the greedo Rhodian character scene is legit I don’t think the actor under the mask is a liar. You will have to think about what I normally look for and what I normally talk about…

I don’t actually have anything else to say because it would not be relevant to the black and white first assembly…Although the falcon shoot out is.

You also must remember in the video from this thread it talks about the script being changed many times throughout shooting. I don’t think the script is entirely trustworthy because it is revised to not include many things we know that were shot. It would be good to have the one Peter Mayhew was sharing on twitter… That would be the one you need 😃

Author
Time

Ronster said:

yotsuya said:

I hope we can keep the discussion open about what was shot and what might be included in this cut. But I think it is clear that the Lost Cut we are discussing probably followed the script pretty closely and that a lot of trimming was done to get down to the final edit. I have an fan edit in mind that would put back and undo as many of the changes as are possible, but with the final music and FX left in place. So I am very interested in what all exists that we can use to get as close as possible to this cut.

I Think the video on the lost cut was good overall I have pointed out where I disagree on one point. I don’t really feel it is possible to talk openly about it here. If I start to try to explain why I said something it will cause even more trouble.

Nobody has to agree with my opinions I don’t mind people disagreeing with me. As much as I would like to elaborate on what I said and the reason why I said it and I do feel the greedo Rhodian character scene is legit I don’t think the actor under the mask is a liar. You will have to think about what I normally look for and what I normally talk about…

I don’t actually have anything else to say because it would not be relevant to the black and white first assembly…Although the falcon shoot out is.

You also must remember in the video from this thread it talks about the script being changed many times throughout shooting. I don’t think the script is entirely trustworthy because it is revised to not include many things we know that were shot. It would be good to have the one Peter Mayhew was sharing on twitter… That would be the one you need 😃

There are many versions of the script available, including several different revisions of the 4th draft (the final draft). I think that we know quite a bit about what was in the script at the time of shooting. What we don’t know are what Lucas decided to do on the fly during filming. I would guess very little, but there is little to go on. And I’m not saying the actor is a liar, only that he may not be remembering correctly. It happens to many of us.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Is there any mention of the extended conference room dialogue we saw only recently in any of the scripts?

Is there any script where Ben Kenobi does not die on the death star? This is an admitted change to the script by Lucus himself.

Could you actually link to some versions I did look at one version.

I think it is quite impossible to know you need original shooting script and shooting schedule and shooting script revisions. It would be quite complicated due to the various rewrites during shooting.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ronster said:

Is there any mention of the extended conference room dialogue we saw only recently in any of the scripts?

Is there any script where Ben Kenobi does not die on the death star? This is an admitted change to the script by Lucus himself.

Could you actually link to some versions I did look at one version.

I think it is quite impossible to know you need original shooting script and shooting schedule and shooting script revisions. It would be quite complicated due to the various rewrites during shooting.

  1. Treatment/Synopsis (May 1973)
  2. Rough Draft (May 1974)
  3. Revised First Draft (July 1974)
  4. Second Draft (January 1975)
  5. Third Draft (August 1975)
  6. Fourth Draft (January 1976)
  7. Revised Fourth Draft (Shooting Script) (March 1976)
  8. Public Revised Fourth Draft (Conformed to edit) (Published 1979; claims January 1976 date)

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thank you ChainsawAsh!

Do you think we can assume that the Lost Cut is very close to the fourth draft (shooting script) ?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think that’s a very safe assumption, yes.

Also, if anyone ever comes across a non-revised first draft, please let me know! I’ve never seen it. (The one I linked doesn’t say “revised,” but it’s identical to all the ones labeled “revised first draft” I’ve ever found and I just tried to link to the best-quality copy of each draft I could Google within ten minutes since I didn’t feel like figuring out which hard drive my PDF’s are on.)

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sorry just going back to the peter Mayhew script tweets about his shooting script.

I seem to remember a discussion about a scene which is yet another variation at mos - eisley docking bay. Somone coming to tell them that they did not have clearance for travel or could not take off… I don’t remember to be honest. But I do remember people getting excited about the potential character that pays a visit to the falcon before they take off.

Montross character you mentioned he pulls a gun on Han…

The thread is in the general discussions here somewhere in regard to peter mayhew tweets on his shooting script.

Sorry but I am really tired been a busy day I just do not have the energy to search for it right now.

Thanks for the script links

Author
Time

Ronster said:

Sorry just going back to the peter Mayhew script tweets about his shooting script.

I seem to remember a discussion about a scene which is yet another variation at mos - eisley docking bay. Somone coming to tell them that they did not have clearance for travel or could not take off… I don’t remember to be honest. But I do remember people getting excited about the potential character that pays a visit to the falcon before they take off.

Montross character you mentioned he pulls a gun on Han…

The thread is in the general discussions here somewhere in regard to peter mayhew tweets on his shooting script.

Sorry but I am really tired been a busy day I just do not have the energy to search for it right now.

Thanks for the script links

I think the principles likely ended up with a couple of drafts due to the revisions. The screen tests are all from an much older draft that bears little resemblance to the final shooting script. So unless we have a glimpse of the cover page to show us the draft and date, it is more likely to be an older draft and the scene in question was removed on revision and was never shot. All the footage I’ve ever seen matches the shooting script. I’ve never seen or heard of anything to indicate there are any scenes missing that we don’t know about. You have to remember just how much got dumped on the public back in the 70’s in terms of behind the scenes photos. We knew the Biggs scenes had been filmed, although they weren’t seen until the 90’s. so I’d be very surprised to learn now that there was anything of significance beyond alternate takes and what was cut from the shooting script in the Lucasfilm archives. Not impossible, but it would be something that Lucas imagined he might need. But the shoot was never that ahead of schedule or ahead of budget to do things like that. The evidence just doesn’t support it.

I’m more interested in what has made it out of the archives to be able to reorder and expand the movie to get closer to a previous edit. I really want to put in all the cut scenes (97 Jabba because I think they got some things right, although the base CG model is very wrong). And I would imagine that the lost cut had nearly all of those cut scenes in it (with the human Jabba).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes this is all correct but on inclusion of the Jabba scene… I think that Montross became the Rhodian that come to collect Jabba’s money essentially Jabba changes his mind.

Once Montross was written out they needed to still establish Mos-Eeisley was shut down… We have the short scene with Vader and Bast to accomplish this.

But since it probably felt a bit sort of slow and even was getting caught up with the Montross thread as it did not progress the plot the decision was made to take the Idea of the Rhodian Bounty hunter which they had and do the re-shoot of the Greedo Cantina scene which covers all the plot from the Jabba scene apart from Mos-Eisley is Shut.

Presumably the Rhodian at the Falcon was similar to the Cantina scene and how it was shot like a Mexican stand off he was easy to remove because Han and the Rhodian were only seen together probably for only one shot. (It was a short interupted Mexican Stand off gate crashed by Stormtroopers)

You need to remove Greedo in the Cantina as this was a re-shoot in England primarily to remove Jabba and to pair everything down then. I prefer the way it was done without the Jabba scene in terms how the handled it though.

This is the only occasion in the film / script that something quite major was done to change the way it worked. I can’t see any other major changes apart from Killing Kenobi but he had nothing to do at the end anyway apart from give the briefing. When was the Greedo cantina scene shot in the United states after principal photography at elstree?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/the-star-wars-cantina-scene-the-151216488.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABF54BC4P-yBrNZE0RuU9-iPBiJatnvshtnalamQAmlEjp40mWHN6v1yh-i-GSoswMmNdqPX01fMbzCPzQM8Py61Okv7dlRoWX6msiaKPlvAOZg_uxe3JtDrl_nuQAb6n79aGklTWDcYRL1iBSU9wQ4kzsW9e7Z0DjC6QyF_YAYf

There would have to be an awful lot of stuff removed creature wise too! Seems Greedo was in and Jabba was out but they had to make Greedo work Better and add more fun alien creatures music and so on.

Everything else like the Biggs Scenes are straight up removals with the threads seen throughout the film pointing to their existance and interwoven.

I think you feel a bit conflicted about the fact Greedo was not always there? You can’t get rid of Greedo I agree so no need for Jabba 😃

been looking for this scene can’t find it… Is the graphic on the screen a map of the detention block prison?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ronster said:

You need to remove Greedo in the Cantina as this was a re-shoot to pair everything down then. I prefer the way it was done without the Jabba scene in terms how the handled it though.

No, definitely no.
The Cantina scene with Greedo is in the fourth script (Jan.1976), so it was not a late re-shoot. Did you read the scripts that ChainsawAsh mentioned above?

Anyway, we can assume that the Cantina scene with Greedo is in the Lost Cut, and it is in the final cut also 😃

oojason said:

Please feel free to post such claims and any others in your own ‘Lost Cut’ thread - but not in here - not without more substantiated evidence other than an assumed / ‘could have been’ scenario… thank you.
 

Please, could you do as oojason advised… ?