Sign In

Star Wars OT & 1997 Special Edition - Various Projects Info (Released) — Page 153

Author
Time

The DVD Set v3 was my 3rd attempt, this is our 2nd and final attempt at a Blu-ray Set, so that is why it is v2, but to be honest the method used on v1 Blu Set really is bad compared to this new Set so I really think the other Set is pretty much dead to me and this is v1 lol.

and yes You_Too is 100% correct, v3 DVD Set sucks compared to this Set we are doing now, everything involved in that DVD Set is just so outdated and it will show big time.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

 so I really think the other Set is pretty much dead to me and this is v1 lol.

YOU'RE GEORGE LUCAS

Fanres - fan restoration forum: https://forum.fanres.com/

Author
Time

Feallan said:

dark_jedi said:

 so I really think the other Set is pretty much dead to me and this is v1 lol.

YOU'RE GEORGE LUCAS

lol it is just that much different, if you have the old compare to the new when it is released, believe me it truly is night and day different.

I do now kind of feel bad for ripping on my own projects lol, but anything DVD is pretty useless to me now anyways.

Author
Time

Feallan said:

We totally should preserve it.

It already is preserved.

Author
Time

@You_Too - thanks for the kind welcome! OK, I'll keep a look out for the v2 blu ray editions. Most of my TV's are 720p only so the v3 DVD's should be OK for now. Any suggestions for a good program to re-author the DVD's? Thanks again!

Author
Time

Alex Rogan said:

@You_Too - thanks for the kind welcome! OK, I'll keep a look out for the v2 blu ray editions. Most of my TV's are 720p only so the v3 DVD's should be OK for now. Any suggestions for a good program to re-author the DVD's? Thanks again!

You're welcome! Actually our blu-rays will be in 720p so you'd probably see the extra resolution even on your TVs. I don't know about re-authoring but check the how-to's part of the forum and maybe somebody has a guide, otherwise you could start a thread about it.

Author
Time

Thanks for the info. I was able to NRG the movies and then use DVDFAB to clone/burn. I had to compress to DVD5 because I don't have any dual layer DVD's at the moment but it worked just fine so I will pick up some DVD9 blanks and try that out.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

As a fan of the DVD (v3) works, I'm very excited to see the blu take on things... Very cool stuff, and I hope it can be available soon :)
Between this and Harmy's work, it's great that the originals are preserved in such ways. To me, both matter, and I dig the approach both have taken. Cannot wait to check out these when they're out there. Will it be just Star Wars first, then ESB/ROTJ next, or will all 3 be pretty much simultaneous?

Author
Time

It'll be Star Wars first, then we will start working on ESB.

Author
Time

You_Too said:

It'll be Star Wars first, then we will start working on ESB.

And to add A New Hope 97 SE will also go out at about the same time, we are going to do them both together, the original along with the 97 SE counterpart for all 3.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

You_Too said:

It'll be Star Wars first, then we will start working on ESB.

And to add A New Hope 97 SE will also go out at about the same time, we are going to do them both together, the original along with the 97 SE counterpart for all 3.

Very slick! Can't wait!! The 97SE will be interesting. Very curious how it'll look, since it was the first "cleaned up" version out there. Guess it's still kind of special to me since I saw them in theaters, and still have a VHS set of this edition.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

OK just to let you guys know for sure, we have confirmed that once Fright Night Part II is finished we are going to author up Star Wars 77 and A New Hope 97 SE, so not to much longer now, FN2 might be done as early as next week sometime, fingers crossed.

Awesome,  Fright Night Part II is finished the wait should almost be over.

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

dark_jedi said:

You_Too said:

It'll be Star Wars first, then we will start working on ESB.

And to add A New Hope 97 SE will also go out at about the same time, we are going to do them both together, the original along with the 97 SE counterpart for all 3.

Sweet. I just popped in Star Wars v3 on the 1080p and it looks great, the 720p is much anticipated!

Author
Time

bump..any updates on this project?

Author
Time

dlvh said:

bump..any updates on this project?

We are working on the menu's and authoring right now.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

dlvh said:

bump..any updates on this project?

We are working on the menu's and authoring right now.

Glad to hear/read it. ..maybe an early Thanksgiving present?

Author
Time

Dear dark_jedi, I cannot thank you enough for what you are doing. You are awesome! You and Harmy are my favorite people in the world.

Having said that, I just want to vent a little about something I already vented about in Harmy's thread, so most of what follows is copied and pasted from what I typed there.

This is about something that bothers me but it's not specific to your work. It's a general trend I've noticed in fan preservations. It's the lack of "Episode IV A New Hope" in the opening title crawl of the first movie.

I know, I know, the original theatrical presentation in 1977 didn't have those words. But surely almost everybody grew up watching copies that did, right? Those words were not a "Special Edition" alteration, but you almost wouldn't know that anymore from examining the current non-special edition fan preservations that are around.

To be honest, when I watch the opening crawl without those words, it's just as foreign to me as Han stepping on Jabba's tail or Greedo shooting first. As far as I know, before the GOUT DVDs in 2006, everybody's home video version of Star Wars said "A New Hope" at the beginning. People watched it once (or a few times) in the theater in 1977 without those words, but then spent the rest of the next two decades watching it with those words included in their homes over and over and over. So Star Wars hasn't been restored to what I grew up with unless Jabba is taken out, Han shoots first, and "A New Hope" is included in the opening crawl.

It's not that I don't appreciate a true original theatrical restoration. I'd much rather watch it without the episode number than watch the Special Editions. But I find it hard to believe that I'm in a minority when I say that the title crawl with no episode heading is not the Star Wars I burned into my soul for almost two decades growing up.

But let me just bottom line this by saying the thing that really scares me - if the 1977 theatrical presentation continues to be the ongoing trend in fan preservation, then the only way for future generations to see the words "A New Hope" in High Def will be to watch the Special Editions. And that's not fair, because the words "Episode IV A New Hope" are not a Special Edition innovation and a person should not be forced to turn to the Special Edition in order to see those words.

Forgive me for being long winded, and I hope that what I have said has not negated any of the praise and appreciation I have for your preserving work. I know what you're probably thinking: "why doesn't deepanddark make his own fan edit instead of whining about what other people are doing." And I wouldn't really have a rebuttal to that.

Author
Time

A big thanks to dark_jedi and You_Too and the others who helped (iirc, msycamore has further refined the alien subtitles in this new set, and they are now *really* close to the correct theatrical ones :) ) for all their hard work! =)

deepanddark20: I can understand the sentimental connection, but being these are theatrical preservations/restorations, I'm sure you understand. :)

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time

Dunedain said:

(iirc, msycamore has further refined the alien subtitles in this new set, and they are now *really* close to the correct theatrical ones :) )

I think msycamore helped DJ with the subs and timing on the V3 DVDs, but this time it's all my work. Harmy sent me a few photoshop files back when I helped him recreate the original subs for his version, and I used them for this one too. It was a lot of work since the original subs didn't match the closest-looking font completely.

@deepanddark20: While I understand that it was what we all watched on video, theatrical is theatrical and there were no episodes in 1977 so that's how a theatrical version has to be.

Author
Time

deepanddark20 said:

I know, I know, the original theatrical presentation in 1977 didn't have those words. But surely almost everybody grew up watching copies that did, right? Those words were not a "Special Edition" alteration, but you almost wouldn't know that anymore from examining the current non-special edition fan preservations that are around.

This is what's known as a "slippery slope".  If Team Blu and Harmy are restoring the original versions of the film and they decide to change anything, then that opens the door for other changes or fixes.

Author
Time

You_Too said:

Dunedain said:

(iirc, msycamore has further refined the alien subtitles in this new set, and they are now *really* close to the correct theatrical ones :) )

I think msycamore helped DJ with the subs and timing on the V3 DVDs, but this time it's all my work. Harmy sent me a few photoshop files back when I helped him recreate the original subs for his version, and I used them for this one too. It was a lot of work since the original subs didn't match the closest-looking font completely.

@deepanddark20: While I understand that it was what we all watched on video, theatrical is theatrical and there were no episodes in 1977 so that's how a theatrical version has to be.

^This is 100% true.

Author
Time

Ah, I see, it's been awhile since the V1 Blu-ray set came out, so I couldn't remember for sure who was working on the ones for this set. So thanks for the new improved theatrical subtitles, You_Too. :)

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time

Really looking forward to this nearing completion! Especially the '97 preservation,  gonna bring back lots of good memories for me!