Sign In

Star Wars Holiday Special - Zion Hybrid v2 — Page 7

Author
Time

Lost Dingo said:

Hi there,

I recently stumbled across this and was wondering how it might be possible to get a copy of Zion’s V2? It sounds excellent. I know some are for sale online, but I don’t think it is appropriate to buy it…

Thanks to anyone who is able to help!

Lost Dingo

EDIT: Nevermind, found a copy! Thank you to those of you who helped me out!

If anyone is selling either of the Zion Hybrid DVDs online it’s definitely not me and I would certainly not recommend paying for it.

Happy belated Life Day, everyone!

My Projects:
[Holiday Special Hybrid DVD v2]
[X0 Project]
[Backstroke of the West DVD]
[ROTS Theatrical DVD]

Author
Time

Hello,

Every year my friends and I enjoy watching the Holiday Special together, it’s a very memorable experience and pure hilarity. We’ve been watching the Zion Hybrid, and I’d love to find v2. Could anyone help me out, please? Would much appreciate it!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Life Day this year!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s still up on the Spleen as far as I’m aware. Outside of that, I don’t personally know of anywhere else it’s currently available.

Say, all this talk recently of The Mandolorian and Jon Favreau being a fan of the Holiday Special and him interested in making another one, it’s got me thinking about revisiting this project.

Improvements can certainly be made. For starters, there’s some great feedback in this thread on various aspects. Things like better handling of the interlacing to possibly improving the quality of the Boba Fett cartoon by using the version from the EditDroid. Then of course there’s upscaling to HD or 4K using modern upscaling techniques. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Also, how do people do HD releases these days? Just a standard MKV or MP4 file, or do people do full on blu-ray authoring?

My Projects:
[Holiday Special Hybrid DVD v2]
[X0 Project]
[Backstroke of the West DVD]
[ROTS Theatrical DVD]

Author
Time

Nothing fancy for me – I think DVD quality still gives this material plenty of headroom. I’d like to see the optional MST3K crawl handled as a menu-navigable chapter stop. Watching just the Holiday Special by jumping to a chapter in the stream, or watching with the MST3K commentary by playing the stream from the beginning. I suppose if you went with HD this could be seamless branching, but a chapter stop would work there too, at least in disc form.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

Zion said:

Also, how do people do HD releases these days? Just a standard MKV or MP4 file, or do people do full on blu-ray authoring?

Please do both if you can! MKV is good for convenience but Blu-Ray is still better for quality (in my opinion) due to the way most new players (oppo 203/Panasonic ub-9000, I use the latter) handle upscaling of hd content on a blu ray. Team negative 1 does both for projects like 4k77 (they release an mkv and an HD blu ray) and honestly I prefer it that way. And plus, who doesn’t love the menus!

I Don’t Even Like Pickles?

Author
Time

Zion said:

It’s still up on the Spleen as far as I’m aware. Outside of that, I don’t personally know of anywhere else it’s currently available.

Zion, I have it uploaded to zippy! If anyone is wanting this DVD please PM me and I’ll get you the link!

“My skill are no longer as Mad as the once were” RiK

Author
Time

Zion said:

Nice, Rikter! Thanks for doing that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Please keep it coming!

Sounds like I need to brush up on my blu-ray authoring skills. Any particular software people are using these days? I’ve used several DVD authoring programs in the past, including Scenarist and Adobe Encore.

I use encore but unfortunately that’s no longer in development so you can’t download it anymore. Hopefully you still have it installed 😕

I Don’t Even Like Pickles?

Author
Time

Ah, sadly I do not. I upgraded my system about a year ago and ended up reinstalling Windows. I opted not to install Encore at the time along with the rest of the CC apps, thinking I could just add it again when I needed it. Adobe CC used to give you that option to install older CS6 apps. I wonder if there’s an alternate way to download it.

My Projects:
[Holiday Special Hybrid DVD v2]
[X0 Project]
[Backstroke of the West DVD]
[ROTS Theatrical DVD]

Author
Time

Zion said:

Ah, sadly I do not. I upgraded my system about a year ago and ended up reinstalling Windows. I opted not to install Encore at the time along with the rest of the CC apps, thinking I could just add it again when I needed it. Adobe CC used to give you that option to install older CS6 apps. I wonder if there’s an alternate way to download it.

Well if you still have the cs6 install discs then you can probably still install it. Alternatively there is piracy… I know it’s frowned upon but since adobe doesn’t even give you the option to legally purchase encore, would pirating the software be any different than downloading despecialized or the 4k## series? I guess it’s just a moral decision.

I Don’t Even Like Pickles?

Author
Time

Pickle2503 said:

Well if you still have the cs6 install discs then you can probably still install it. Alternatively there is piracy… I know it’s frowned upon but since adobe doesn’t even give you the option to legally purchase encore, would pirating the software be any different than downloading despecialized or the 4k## series? I guess it’s just a moral decision.

I would be of the opinion that yes, it’s almost a preservation. But there are a few issues the older Encore is not compatible with Win7 or Win10 so you’d have to reinstall XP which is also no longer supported. I’ll load up the old back up HD to see if I still have the install files for CS6 - I hated the learning curve so I stuck with TMPGenc simple but quick and easy but my menus did lack the WOW factor.

“My skill are no longer as Mad as the once were” RiK

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Encore CS6 is definitely older, but I used it to author the Hybrid v2 DVD three years ago and I’m almost positive I had Windows 10 at the time. So it’s possible it could still work.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that if they no longer support it or offer a way to purchase it, it should be fair game to download by whatever means.

My Projects:
[Holiday Special Hybrid DVD v2]
[X0 Project]
[Backstroke of the West DVD]
[ROTS Theatrical DVD]

Author
Time

Zion said:

Encore CS6 is definitely older, but I used it to author the Hybrid v2 DVD three years ago and I’m almost positive I had Windows 10 at the time. So it’s possible it could still work.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that if they no longer support it or offer a way to purchase it, it should be fair game to download by whatever means.

Yeah I’d probably go that route. IMO encore was always consistent with creating the best menus.

I Don’t Even Like Pickles?