Sign In

Star Wars Holiday Special Ultimate Edition

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In the hopes that Disney will release the Holiday Special on Disney+, I plan on making an “ultimate edition,” which includes all of the commercials spanning various TV stations. It will also feature the Spanish and French dub along with a recreated title card. EditDroid’s DVD will be the main video source. You can toggle between having commercials and none at all.

WCBS commercials from Still216’s Myspleen rip
WMAR commercials from the Zion Hybrid Edition v2
KCCI commercials from BLAK0019’s KCCI Angrysun Edition (Not certain if they are original)
WHIO+WMAR (original WHIO release did not contain original commercials)

Station IDs will also be an option. If you plan on watching any of the versions with commercials, you will have the option to enable the extra WHIO audio track from Tasjo’s version 2 DVD. During the credits, there is an additional voice-over promoting “The New Avengers” and “Sweet Hostage.” They are part of CBS’s Late Movie block.

New details in regards to video and audio quality will be shared soon.

UPDATE: 5/22/19
I compiled a spreadsheet detailing all the sources used for this and the various commercials. Progress has finally started, as the French intro is being recreated. Unless Myspleen has freeleech on, I need someone to download/share Tasjo’s WHIO version 2 and the KCCI Angrysun Edition. Subtitles are now being accepted, too.

UPDATE: 5/29/19
Finished syncing up the French starfield with the English version. This is what the background is going to look like. Apparently, the English version of the starfield shot is cropped on the left side, while the French is cropped on the right. Link. Thanks to zman’s suggestion, I’ve downloaded BLAK0019’s KCCI Angrysun Edition from Usenet. The only trouble I have is identifying the font used for the French Holiday Special logo. It’s either Tw Cen MT,Tw Cen MT Condensed Extra Bold, Bahnschrift SemiBold Condensed, Century Gothic, Arial Bold, or a weird mix. (To see the text, please open it in Word.) This is the reference being used.

Author
Time

Are you adding subs? I’m making one but it’s still halfway there… They’re timed to the Editdroid version.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LexX said:

Are you adding subs? I’m making one but it’s still halfway there… They’re timed to the Editdroid version.

Haven’t even thought of that! Yes. The commercial versions will have the Wonder Woman/Incredible Hulk bumper at both ends. Are the subs going to be in English?

Author
Time

Morphzero said:

LexX said:

Are you adding subs? I’m making one but it’s still halfway there… They’re timed to the Editdroid version.

Haven’t even thought of that! Yes. The commercial versions will have the Wonder Woman/Incredible Hulk bumper at both ends. Are the subs going to be in English?

No, it’s gonna be Finnish but someone could use the timings after I’ve finished them. But like I said, it will be timed to the Editdroid version only which has no commercials, not interested in watching commercials. 😃

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

LexX said:

Morphzero said:

LexX said:

Are you adding subs? I’m making one but it’s still halfway there… They’re timed to the Editdroid version.

Haven’t even thought of that! Yes. The commercial versions will have the Wonder Woman/Incredible Hulk bumper at both ends. Are the subs going to be in English?

No, it’s gonna be Finnish but someone could use the timings after I’ve finished them. But like I said, it will be timed to the Editdroid version only which has no commercials, not interested in watching commercials. 😃

Can’t wait! Hopefully some volunteers from Project Threepio can help out with translating once this project gets more development put in.

Author
Time

I found BLAK0019’s KCCI Angrysun Edition on Usenet. A free trial account with one of the providers should be sufficient to pull that down.

Author
Time

zman said:

I found BLAK0019’s KCCI Angrysun Edition on Usenet. A free trial account with one of the providers should be sufficient to pull that down.

Thank you for letting me know.

Author
Time

Exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about the ultimate edition of this travesty.

(Note: Using “travesty” in the loving sense. Same as I’d use for the Ewok films, and MANY steps above the Prequels.)

“Before the Dark Times. Before the Prequels.”

Author
Time

Interested to see what you come up with for this. I’ll help if I have anything to add.

–SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

Hey, I remember you from this thread I made ironically also about the Holiday Special and I was wondering how far along with the project you are. I was planning on creating a version of my edit with the original adverts in HD and would really like to know your process.

Thanks,

Sishyo

I’ve gone batshit several times over for the sake of historical preservation…

Author
Time

MattMahdi said:

Exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about the ultimate edition of this travesty.

(Note: Using “travesty” in the loving sense. Same as I’d use for the Ewok films, and MANY steps above the Prequels.)

SKot said:

Interested to see what you come up with for this. I’ll help if I have anything to add.

–SKot

Moiisty said:

whats the status of this?

The project was put on hold. A week or two after my last update, my (pirated) licence to Vegas Pro 14 stopped working. Since then I decided to move it all to the latest version of Premiere Pro CC. I’m trying to learn how to use this program, and the only thing that’s finished is the background of the French edit.

  • Still trying to find the exact same font used for the French edit. Would you rather have this intro remade or reused from the VHS tape?
  • The “CBS Late Movie” announcement likely came from WMAR, rather than WHIO.
  • In the Gormaanda Hybrid V2, the WHIO v2 disc is (supposedly) included as an easter egg. At the very beginning of that video track, there’s an extra news segment talking about the Moscow neutron bomb. afaik it isn’t featured anywhere else, and I’m wondering if it should be included in this release. Thoughts?
  • Other full-length commentary tracks from YouTube videos will be included in addition to Rifftrax.
  • Should I use Editdroid audio for every scene with no dialogue and smoothly transition to the dubs when necessary?

Sishyo512 said:

Hey, I remember you from this thread I made ironically also about the Holiday Special and I was wondering how far along with the project you are. I was planning on creating a version of my edit with the original adverts in HD and would really like to know your process.

Thanks,

Sishyo

  • All commercials will be improved to some degree, but I don’t plan on working on an HD release, as there won’t be any real improvement to the picture. At best, the main segments would look similar to the Zion Hybrid v2. It would probably be on a DVD-9.

I’m very sorry to everyone who were kept in the dark about this. It feels terrible.