Sign In

Star Wars Digital HD Release .... April 10th — Page 13

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

When was Maul's saber orange?

On Halloween. He wanted to get into the season, y'know. 

Author
Time

captainsolo said:

And this release is ridiculous in that it is significantly more than the blasted Blu-ray set. Who do they think they are kidding???

Loser fanboys like the guy whose brainless review was quoted in the posts above. 

Author
Time

I certainly was not willing to pay over a hundred dollars for the set. Not even for Charlie Lippincott's tapes used in the making of star wars book.

Not sure even at that price i would pay for streaming versions of the oot.  I would want blu ray copies to own.

The price is batshit crazy but typical of Disney pricing. 

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

I love when you throw out random unsupported statements and then ignore it when you're questioned.

Author
Time

I know it's kinda late in this discussion but after skimming through much of this thread here's what I've got to say. I didn't buy the BluRays so why would I buy this? I'm not particularly thrilled hearing the Fox logos have been cut from the front of the film's aside from ANH. Seeing those opening Fox logos is as much a part of seeing SW as anything. But I get why it was done. Hopefully Disney and Fox will reach a deal in the future to restore those logos but I won't hold my breath. As far as the new theme that accompanies the Lucasfilm logo I'm not particularly thrilled with it and hopefully it's temporary. I thought the recut version the gentleman who cut it in five minutes posted before was actually better. Well done. Me personally though I'm gonna have to agree with the one guy who said there should be no music accompanying the logo. If the Fox logo is gone what's the need for the music? There was no music that accompanied the Lucasfilm logo at the beginning of Indy 4 so why the need for music now? Again that's just me. As far as TFA I had mixed feelings when it was first announced. I kinda felt it was pointless when it was first announced. I felt we really got the bulk of the story with 1-6. Why the need for more? Fast forward three years my opinion of it is more open and I'll definitely see it. My initial judgement over a new film which I still slightly hold was more out of the feeling of the stories completion not so much of Lucas' excessive changes to the saga. In regards to the latter I feel once it's done its done. SW is a 1977 film, ESB is a 1980 film, ROTJ is a 1983 film plain and simple. Leave it that way and I only pray that justice will be served to these iconic films some day.

Author
Time

So I assume there's not a soul on this site who has purchased this?  There may be a little bit of interesting material in the special features, but for the life of me, there may not be anyone on this earth who actually paid for this whom I can even ask. :(

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

So I assume there's not a soul on this site who has purchased this?  There may be a little bit of interesting material in the special features, but for the life of me, there may not be anyone on this earth who actually paid for this whom I can even ask. :(

 Take one for the team.

Author
Time

I knew someone would say that. :)

It speaks volumes as to the foolishness of this release, I feel.

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

I knew someone would say that. :)

It speaks volumes as to the foolishness of this release, I feel.

 Then again, the people on this site aren't exactly the target demographic for this release. :-P

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. ~ Spock

Author
Time

Last star wars I have purchased has been on VHS. So my hopes are low already. :p

Author
Time

Handman said:

darth_ender said:

I knew someone would say that. :)

It speaks volumes as to the foolishness of this release, I feel.

 Then again, the people on this site aren't exactly the target demographic for this release. :-P

 While you are right, this isn't the only site where I've asked.  I guess I haven't gone to TFN, where surely somebody says something about it.  Nevertheless, a couple of FB groups I've posted on don't have any info either.

Author
Time

Apparently my Mac is too old to be able to access iTunes Extras. I guess the technical hurdles are too great for my machine to stream 480p "Legacy content." I heard from someone who did buy that the Legacy content is just the same SD video as the DVDs.

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time

There's preview videos on the Star Wars YouTube page of the bonus content with the digital release.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Apparently my Mac is too old to be able to access iTunes Extras. I guess the technical hurdles are too great for my machine to stream 480p "Legacy content." I heard from someone who did buy that the Legacy content is just the same SD video as the DVDs.

Sh*t..... that means that the deleted scenes are also highly likely to be the SD versions from the DVDs as well. :/

It's like Lucasfilms knows we're just chomping at the bit for HD versions of the deleted scenes so we can make better fanedits of the movies, so they're intentionally screwing with us, lol.

Author
Time

JasonN said:

Hal 9000 said:

Apparently my Mac is too old to be able to access iTunes Extras. I guess the technical hurdles are too great for my machine to stream 480p "Legacy content." I heard from someone who did buy that the Legacy content is just the same SD video as the DVDs.

Sh*t..... that means that the deleted scenes are also highly likely to be the SD versions from the DVDs as well. :/

It's like Lucasfilms knows we're just chomping at the bit for HD versions of the deleted scenes so we can make better fanedits of the movies, so they're intentionally screwing with us, lol.

 Well that's what they've been doing to us for over 35 years. It's all a faustian bargain in hindsight: we will make the greatest film trilogy of all time, then destroy before your very eyes piece by piece just for shits and giggles. I mean by 2025 the GOUT will still be seen as the last official release of the real trilogy. They got us hooked like junkies, and they're pimping us out.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I very grudgingly bought the SW Blu-rays as a source buy so as to be as ethical as possible while enjoying the Harmy edits.  They sit in the box opened but un-watched.  Getting a digital copy of this exact same set is completely unthinkable to me. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thought I would mention that the HD digital releases have been updated within the last week or so. They now include nearly everything available on the Blu Ray release.

After a cursory inspection, the only things missing from the set now are “The Making of Star Wars” and “SP:FX: The Making of the Empire Strikes Back”. I’m not sure why they left those out.

So far the “newer” content is only available through Disney Movies Anywhere and iTunes. Vudu and Google Play, at this point, only have the content that was released back in April.

The concept and production artwork is only available through iTunes Extras.

As far as exclusive content (I’ll post it here since no-one else seems to have ever done it):

Conversations:
Doug Chiang Looks Back
Sounds In Space
The Star Wars that Almost Was
Creating a Universe
The Lost Interviews
The Effects

Discoveries from Inside:
Models & Miniatures
Costumes Revealed
Hologram & Bloopers
Weapons & The First Lightsaber
Matte Paintings Unveiled
The Sounds of Ben Burtt

Other Stuff:
George Lucas On The Digital Revolution (iTunes only)
The Podrace: Theatrical Edit (full 1080p HD)
The Art of Attack of the Clones (DMA only)
The Journey (Parts 1 & 2) (Originally from starwars.com, but here part 1 is a slightly extended edit)
ILM Episode III Siggraph Reel (Originally from starwars.com, and in better quality there!)
Scrap Into Gold: A Conversation with Roger Christian (DMA only)
Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk (Originally from DC Laserdisc, available free on starwars.com)
1080p Trailers for all six films plus one for the entire saga

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…

Author
Time

Interesting. Does the theatrical Podrace extra give us any shots (crowd shots iirc) that we don’t have in HD?

Author
Time

Yes, there are two shots not complete in the DVD/HDTV/Blu Ray edit. The shot of the fans cheering for Sebulba is incomplete in the DVD/HDTV/Blu Ray edit and the shot of Watto cheering for Sebulba is absent from the DVD/HDTV/Blu Ray edit.

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…

Author
Time

Well, that’s a minor win, at least.

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time

Thanks schorman13, for the list. Always a treat to see what “new” stuff they try to add to lure folks in. I’m sure at some point, all of those will quietly show up around the net, maybe making a digital bonus disc possible for the fans.

😃

Author
Time

Maybe sooner than you think. 😉

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…