Sign In

Star Wars Deleted Scenes - Reincorporated? — Page 8

Author
Time

Personally I'd love to see the extended footage of the ROTJ space battle, esp. the new pilots. With a little creativity and some colorizing, it could really be awesome. New CGI effects for the ships would be great, but I realize that's stretching it a bit... ;) (dreaming of Y-Wings making strafing runs on that Star Destroyer like in the story boards)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So, I was looking over the deleted scenes for ESB for the initial planning stages for continuing my SW EE's, and noticed a lot more Black and White scenes than I remembered, did anybody try colorizing some of the scenes? even just basic tinting?

John Williams score to Return of the Jedi Remastered/Remixed:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/JOHN-WILLIAMS-Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-Remastered-Edition/topic/14606/page/1/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Kurgan said:

Personally I'd love to see the extended footage of the ROTJ space battle, esp. the new pilots. With a little creativity and some colorizing, it could really be awesome. New CGI effects for the ships would be great, but I realize that's stretching it a bit... ;) (dreaming of Y-Wings making strafing runs on that Star Destroyer like in the story boards)

I put them back in The War of the Stars II, The Future in Motion fanedit.. But this is a fanedit that plays with the story, it's not really ROTJ. But if you want to have a look at what this could look once those deleted scenes are reincoporated then WOTS II is a thing to watch I guess. (did not colorized the B&W pilot. I tried, but got bored. I colorized the B&W Dagobah scenes from ESB though.)

The deleted scenes are not cleaned. They are just color corrected to match the GOUT.

I'll put WOTS I on vimeo this week, and probably WOTS II next week. So, if vimeo allows those videos to stay online, then people could easily watch almost all the deleted scenes back in the three movies (at least those versions of the three movies..)

(you can also find the DVD versions at fanedit.info)

Author
Time

Cool, didn't know that. Thanks!

Author
Time

This is a scene that was already restored and reinstated into the Special Edition release? Can you explain, as out of all the possible deleted scenes I'm not quite following why you have worked on this scene? Cheers.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If you notice, this cut is different, because in the fully restored version, there is a person walking past them, that is not present here.

Also, a weird continuity error, where C3PO is looking at R2D2 at the beginning from the 5-10 second mark, which should be pushed much later in the shot.

This might have been a different take.

Regardless, we are going through all the deleted footage.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

It is indeed a different take.  Thanks for doing this.  Looking forward to more.

Author
Time

Thanks for clarifying, and great job!

It would be nice to get all the scenes cleaned up, but whilst some of them are more interesting as curio's, in particular I think the inclusion of several of the ROTJ scenes could genuinely improve the movie.

Obviously the blu-ray deleted scenes all have condition issues to varying degrees. In your experience do you believe any of the deleted scenes could ever be restored sufficiently to include in an HD edit without standing out as poorer quality? If so, which scenes?

Author
Time

team_negative1 said:

Here is one of the first passes at a restored scene, where Luke meets Biggs. There is a jump cut around 17 seconds, that will be smoothed, also it will be stabilized.

No color correction was done.

==================================

The comparison:

==========

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2PdzJyBLicXcNb6MxO

The restored:

===========

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k28KI5lELYeZ2db6MPf

Team Negative1

 gret.realy great.more.please more.

thanks for making this.

Author
Time

benduwan said:

team_negative1 said:

Here is one of the first passes at a restored scene, where Luke meets Biggs. There is a jump cut around 17 seconds, that will be smoothed, also it will be stabilized.

No color correction was done.

==================================

The comparison:

==========

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2PdzJyBLicXcNb6MxO

The restored:

===========

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k28KI5lELYeZ2db6MPf

Team Negative1

 gret.realy great.more.please more.

thanks for making this.

 antenna
window
window
window
balcony
window
window
window
balcony
window
window
window
retail shops
retail shops
parking
plaza
BUNNY

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

benduwan said:

team_negative1 said:

Here is one of the first passes at a restored scene, where Luke meets Biggs. There is a jump cut around 17 seconds, that will be smoothed, also it will be stabilized.

No color correction was done.

==================================

The comparison:

==========

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2PdzJyBLicXcNb6MxO

The restored:

===========

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k28KI5lELYeZ2db6MPf

Team Negative1

 gret.realy great.more.please more.

thanks for making this.

 antenna
window
window
window
balcony
window
window
window
balcony
window
window
window
retail shops
retail shops
parking
plaza
BUNNY

you have too much freetime for many off-topic junk!

Author
Time

Here's some sample frames from a second clip - Part A section 1,

Luke watching the space battle:

==================

=====================

NOTES : This is mainly intended to show a first pass at the cleanup.

1) Glue frames, jump frames, and skipped frames are not fixed or replaced yet.

2) There are slight frame jumps in the comparison, this is due to a frame rate change, all the actual frames are there in the full video.

3) Colors will be altered later.

4) Some vertical and horizontal black lines remain, and will be fixed later.

Video :

====================

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5BUCYDrAeSKMzb9viX

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Nice! Do you plan to release the final version?

Author
Time

This is looking really great.  Team -1, you may not be the most optimistic about future official releases, but you do great work with what we already have.  ;)

Keep it up!

Author
Time

Wow, this really looks very good. What kind of equipment are you using? I tried to do similar clean ups using After Effect filters or new still frame backgrounds in static shots, but my results never looks close as good. Would be really great to have those shots at least cleant up like this so as to use them for some edits.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

We do not have any current plans to release these, they are just tests of the software. There are many commercial film restoration programs out there, much more powerful than Aftereffects.

There were thoughts of a Grindhouse plus version using the raw clips, and an extended version using the cleaned clips, but that is not certain yet.

You are seeing the clips after 3-4 compression cycles:

=================================

Downconvert to MP4 -> Watermark -> (Comparison) -> Dailymotion compression

The originals are all High quality 1080p format.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

TN1 why share the work in progress on this site if you do not plan to release the finished restored scenes? Again, sorry for the question but I am interested in your project and the great results you are achieving however I am not quite following what your motivation / objective is?

Author
Time

Here's a continuation of the previous scene:

===========================

More shots and the video are forthcoming.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Continuing the cleanup shots:

====================

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Here is the video for the previous deleted scene:

=============================

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6mjPIzy9DoxAmbaYeh

Since we are a team, we have people doing independent projects, and testing. And the one member was testing out some rendering and cleaning with other footage. The deleted scenes were a part of that.

Currently, it is not our focus, and we did not plan to do anything with the deleted scenes. It's up to that member to decide when, and if they will be used.

We are putting it up here to show the possibilities of what the clean up with software can do.

We're sure that if people wanted to use these scenes, they would have been working on them for the last few years that they were out.

This work was done in a few weeks.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

team_negative1 said:


We're sure that if people wanted to use these scenes, they would have been working on them for the last few years that they were out.

Lol wut.

I want to be president, but I haven't been working on that the last few years.

Author
Time

team_negative1 said:

Here is the video for the previous deleted scene:

=============================

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6mjPIzy9DoxAmbaYeh

Since we are a team, we have people doing independent projects, and testing. And the one member was testing out some rendering and cleaning with other footage. The deleted scenes were a part of that.

Currently, it is not our focus, and we did not plan to do anything with the deleted scenes. It's up to that member to decide when, and if they will be used.

We are putting it up here to show the possibilities of what the clean up with software can do.

We're sure that if people wanted to use these scenes, they would have been working on them for the last few years that they were out.

This work was done in a few weeks.

Team Negative1

 Honestly, most people have no idea how to do this.

Author
Time

Looking at the screenshots, seems to me like some of the heavily damaged frames are just being dropped and replaced with an interpolation of the surrounding frames. Is this cleanup software being used on all your scans? Anyway, It still looks amazing and I'm sure a lot of people would love to have these.