Sign In

Star Wars Day (UK) - Screenings of OT

Author
Time
 (Edited)

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Apermalink=starwarsday&utm_content=buffer0d665&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebookbfi&utm_campaign=starwarsday

Author
Time

2011 special editions again? At least it's just the OT.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time

A BFI SW SE screening would be like a Michael Bay movie getting a Criterion release.

Author
Time

Bah ! Why do they continue to put the dates of these special editions as 1977, 1980 and 1983 ?

I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than see these versions again.

I may well get over to the exhibition though.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=onsetstarwarsepisodeIVanewhope

 

Author
Time

m_s0 said:

A BFI SW SE screening would be like a Michael Bay movie getting a Criterion release.

 Yeah... what would that be like?

Author
Time

No idea, because - thankfully - that'd never happen.

Author
Time

This is tomorrow (Dec 13), looking forward to it. 

Will report what version, albeit it's marked as Special Edition.

Author
Time

Damn it! I knew there was a reason why I shouldn't have left London LOL

The extra goodies and guest appearances sound excellent. I'm really gonna miss the Star Wars cocktails mentioned. A 'Blue Caracua White Russian' perhaps?

Good on the BFI for clearly labelling these as the SEs on the ticket ordering page. Assuming it's in NFT1 then that's a nice big screen with an excellent soundsytem.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

This just reminded me about the behind the scenes exhibition. It only runs until the 4th of January. Might just make it after Christmas.

Author
Time

2011 version.

Just finished Star Wars and a panel chat with Biggs & Greedo actors!

Author
Time

GlastoEls said:


2011 version.

Just finished Star Wars and a panel chat with Biggs & Greedo actors!


Did someone ask Greedo how it felt to shoot first?

Author
Time

hearing about stuff like this makes me more resigned that they will only show the SE versions of the OT next year when promoting TFA.

and since the rumors are leaning towards the Empire still running the show in this GFFA, they probably should do another version of ROTJ that removes the planet celebration montage...since apparently nothing was really accomplished.

 

i dunno...just sell us the damn OOT

click here if lack of OOT got you down

Author
Time

digitalfreaknyc said:

GlastoEls said:


2011 version.

Just finished Star Wars and a panel chat with Biggs & Greedo actors!



Did someone ask Greedo how it felt to shoot first?

Of course - he said he prefers the original!

Author
Time

walking_carpet said:

hearing about stuff like this makes me more resigned that they will only show the SE versions of the OT next year when promoting TFA.

and since the rumors are leaning towards the Empire still running the show in this GFFA, they probably should do another version of ROTJ that removes the planet celebration montage...since apparently nothing was really accomplished.

 

i dunno...just sell us the damn OOT

When you say "show the SE" I'm assuming you're referring to a theatrical re-release?

To be fair, I never expected them to do a wide theatrical re-release of an OOT restoration, not in a million years. That would be great, don't get me wrong, but my hopes were never set that high. A wide re-release would be the SE version. It just lends itself to 3D conversion way more than the unaltereds. Like I said in another thread, that shot of cg Sni Snootles has been calling out for the 3D treatment since 1997! The irony is that we just last year got a 3D theatrical re-release of The Wizard of Oz, a movie that's not only way older than the original Star Wars but also almost completely unaltered!

I once had this idea that they could simultaneously re-release the SE in theaters in 3D at the multiplexes and make the bulk of their $$$$ that way, but also put out the restored OOT at the repertoire movie houses. Again, this was just a nice thought I had, something I knew (and still know) will probably never happen. Doing something like that would place both versions on equal footing, and we've seen in other examples that the most recent version of a movie tends to take priority. Disney might be in charge now, but George put his good friend Kathleen Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm. I doubt she would want to totally reverse his policies and bury the SE while bringing back the originals. Spielberg did exactly that with E.T., but he's the director. I don't see George endorsing such a move with Star Wars.

So yeah, I don't think they'll put the restored unaltereds back in theaters. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

walking_carpet said:

hearing about stuff like this makes me more resigned that they will only show the SE versions of the OT next year when promoting TFA.

and since the rumors are leaning towards the Empire still running the show in this GFFA, they probably should do another version of ROTJ that removes the planet celebration montage...since apparently nothing was really accomplished.

 

i dunno...just sell us the damn OOT

When you say "show the SE" I'm assuming you're referring to a theatrical re-release?

To be fair, I never expected them to do a wide theatrical re-release of an OOT restoration, not in a million years. That would be great, don't get me wrong, but my hopes were never set that high. A wide re-release would be the SE version. It just lends itself to 3D conversion way more than the unaltereds. Like I said in another thread, that shot of cg Sni Snootles has been calling out for the 3D treatment since 1997! The irony is that we just last year got a 3D theatrical re-release of The Wizard of Oz, a movie that's not only way older than the original Star Wars but also almost completely unaltered!

I once had this idea that they could simultaneously re-release the SE in theaters in 3D at the multiplexes and make the bulk of their $$$$ that way, but also put out the restored OOT at the repertoire movie houses. Again, this was just a nice thought I had, something I knew (and still know) will probably never happen. Doing something like that would place both versions on equal footing, and we've seen in other examples that the most recent version of a movie tends to take priority. Disney might be in charge now, but George put his good friend Kathleen Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm. I doubt she would want to totally reverse his policies and bury the SE while bringing back the originals. Spielberg did exactly that with E.T., but he's the director. I don't see George endorsing such a move with Star Wars.

So yeah, I don't think they'll put the restored unaltereds back in theaters. I'd love to be wrong, though.

 no i wasnt expecting them to re-release the OOT in theatres.  THat would be a great nice-to-have.

my concern is if they use the OT to promote TFA, they won't release OOT at all and instead release the SE into theatres and hype it as 'the original trilogy you know and love!!!"

click here if lack of OOT got you down

Author
Time

There are so many different scenarios that could happen. One big factor in all of this is Abrams and his nostalgic sensibilities. When it comes to an OT re-release I'm sure Disney/LFL have the final say in what happens and what doesn't, but this retro trading card stunt with the names of the characters is seriously making me wonder what their current thoughts are on the revised version of the true originals.

Author
Time

Disney does not want what just happened.

Boos for Greedo. Muttering at Jedi Rocks. But the ENTIRE theatre yelling and jeering Hayden SO loudly...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Overall super day however.

Now my wife and I are in the bar after with "Yoda Soda" and "Tatooine Sunset" cocktails.

Love the Wars!

Author
Time

adywan said:

GlastoEls said:

Disney does not want what just happened.

Boos for Greedo. Muttering at Jedi Rocks. But the ENTIRE theatre yelling and jeering Hayden SO loudly...

 Oh, i wish someone could have recorded that

 Let's hope some Disney people were in attendance and taking notes.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

GlastoEls said:


Disney does not want what just happened.

Boos for Greedo. Muttering at Jedi Rocks. But the ENTIRE theatre yelling and jeering Hayden SO loudly...



As opposed to my screening where people applauded.

Author
Time

There's no accounting for taste, or an audience knowing what version of a film is actually being shown. ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

digitalfreaknyc said:


As opposed to my screening where people applauded.

 Ghastly. What the ...?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

adywan said:

GlastoEls said:

Disney does not want what just happened.

Boos for Greedo. Muttering at Jedi Rocks. But the ENTIRE theatre yelling and jeering Hayden SO loudly...

 Oh, i wish someone could have recorded that

 The horrendous re-cut that mixes vader going to a star destroyer (alert my star destroyer, blah, blah, blah)  in ESB is horrible too.  did the crowd boo at that?  people always say ESB had the least changes,  but that one is one of the worst

click here if lack of OOT got you down