Sign In

Star Wars: A New Hope - The Darklighter Cut

Author
Time
 (Edited)

alt
alt

A basic edit of A New Hope to include the deleted Biggs Darklighter scene back to where they originally were in the fourth draft shooting script. The scenes are pretty dirty and as I have no clue on how to clean them up, I’ll dirty the main source to match them. The main source itself is the Silver Screen Edition 1.6, which will eventually be degraded somehow. Suggestions on how to do that are welcome.

  • Added Luke working on a mosture evaporator and seeing the Tatntive IV being boarded
  • Added Luke almost running over an old lady in Anchorhead on his way to the Toche Station
  • Added Luke and his friends at the station and him showing the battle, which they dismiss
  • Added Luke and Biggs talking about joining the rebellion
  • Added extended version of Red Leader talking about Luke’s father
  • Added Luke saying “Biggs? BIGGS!” over the radio after he gets shot down

I’ve done colour corrections on the scenes to remove the yellow tint over them, but have no clue on how to clean them up. Suggestions also welcome.

Here with the old lady scene, I masked out the landspeeder from the approch to Mos Eisley, took out R2 and C-3PO and placed it over the scene. I think it needs her saying something, probably just some angry gibberish, but anything will do.
https://vimeo.com/291628922

And here is the transision into Biggs and Luke talking outside of the Toche Station with a line from the radio drama and a shot from The Making of Star Wars. I’ll eventually replace it when the documentary is scanned by Poita, but for now it’ll do
https://vimeo.com/291702372

Author
Time
 (Edited)

im willing to asist on the audio side, as i (over the course of 4 months) refoleyed the scene, i cna upload my work and show you if needed, also instead of the far shot of the landspeeder aproaching toche station, id sujest the idea of a GC version, instead aproaching from the left, slowly stopping, then cutting to luke getting out

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Great work, though the speeder is going in the wrong direction. Based on the woman’s reaction, it should be coming toward the camera.

Author
Time

darkspire17 said:

im willing to asist on the audio side, as i (over the course of 4 months) refoleyed the scene, i cna upload my work and show you if needed\

I’d love to see it. Could you PM what you’ve done?

littlev87 said:

Great work, though the speeder is going in the wrong direction. Based on the woman’s reaction, it should be coming toward the camera.

Ah crud, and after all that time I spent masking it out. I realised my mistake as I uploaded it. Is there any other shots of a speeder approching the camera?

Author
Time

littlev87 said:

Great work, though the speeder is going in the wrong direction. Based on the woman’s reaction, it should be coming toward the camera.

nope.would say from left to the right.

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

If anyone knows a potential fix for the old lady scene, the suggestion box is always open

Here’s the first scene of Luke seeing the Tantive IV being boarded
https://vimeo.com/291814966

The two things that scene needs are a landspeeder and sound. I did a draft of it, but I have a better plan. I just need to figure out how to execute it.

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

If anyone knows a potential fix for the old lady scene, the suggestion box is always open

in the rinzler ebook is a file called vid11_SWGagReel_001_ProRes.
there is a landspeeder scene only with luke you can use.

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

If anyone knows a potential fix for the old lady scene, the suggestion box is always open

Here’s the first scene of Luke seeing the Tantive IV being boarded
https://vimeo.com/291814966

get the toy speeder with luke figure and film it yourself, then add copious motion blur.

Author
Time

yotsuya said:

The two things that scene needs are a landspeeder and sound. I did a draft of it, but I have a better plan. I just need to figure out how to execute it.

Do you mind sharing your ideas?

benduwan said:

in the rinzler ebook is a file called vid11_SWGagReel_001_ProRes.
there is a landspeeder scene only with luke you can use.

It was too low-res to crop down, but I did end up using that same shot earlier on

https://vimeo.com/292057308

Author
Time

Here I’ve tackled the extended Biggs reunion in the Yavin IV hanger. I’ve combined the 2011 Blu-Ray version with the deleted segment by adding an extra walk by to cover the cut. I’ve also regraded both shots to match the SSE with great sucess.

https://vimeo.com/292092035

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

Here I’ve tackled the extended Biggs reunion in the Yavin IV hanger. I’ve combined the 2011 Blu-Ray version with the deleted segment by adding an extra walk by to cover the cut. I’ve also regraded both shots to match the SSE with great sucess.

https://vimeo.com/292092035

looks great,but it looks strange 2 walks from the same person…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

i wouldent mind seeing luke mourn for biggs during the battle of yavin, their’s an edit on youtube of luke screaming for biggs after he’s been shot down, also little question, anyone know what synth or falange was used for ANH, treadwell’s voice is mostly just ben burt’s recordings for the mouse droid, with a filter over them, anyone know what filter was used

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time

Updated version of the Biggs reunion with the audio sync fixed and the 2nd guy to walk past is now changed to an X-Wing pilot. I think he might stand out too much, but let me know what you think.

https://vimeo.com/292339278

darkspire17 said:

i wouldent mind seeing luke mourn for biggs during the battle of yavin, their’s an edit on youtube of luke screaming for biggs after he’s been shot down, also little question

Ask and you will recieve

https://vimeo.com/292342321

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bobson Dugnutt said:

Updated version of the Biggs reunion with the audio sync fixed and the 2nd guy to walk past is now changed to an X-Wing pilot. I think he might stand out too much, but let me know what you think.

https://vimeo.com/292339278

darkspire17 said:

i wouldent mind seeing luke mourn for biggs during the battle of yavin, their’s an edit on youtube of luke screaming for biggs after he’s been shot down, also little question

Ask and you will recieve

https://vimeo.com/292342321

better than i expected it to come out, funny that it was never done officialy, considering how many times they cut to yavin for inserted dialoque, nice try with the pass of the pilot, only sujestion id make is to slightly move his arms, tho doing that may make it look like an obvious digital puppet, id sujest adding faint footsteps as he passes by

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

Updated version of the Biggs reunion with the audio sync fixed and the 2nd guy to walk past is now changed to an X-Wing pilot. I think he might stand out too much, but let me know what you think.

https://vimeo.com/292339278

looks intresting,but why you don´t use the complete deleted scene and use this guy as wipe to the movie scene…?

Author
Time

benduwan said:

looks intresting,but why you don´t use the complete deleted scene and use this guy as wipe to the movie scene…?

Is there a more complete scene out there? This is almost exactly whats in the shooting script. And there isn’t any reason to wipe from the guy walking past to the proper scene beacuse after he walks past there is still a lot more scene after this.

benduwan said:
where´s this biggs calling audio from?

The Radio Drama, same place as I got the alt. line at the start of the third Biggs scene. I believe Adywan used it in Star Wars: Revisited as well.

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

benduwan said:

looks intresting,but why you don´t use the complete deleted scene and use this guy as wipe to the movie scene…?

Is there a more complete scene out there? This is almost exactly whats in the shooting script. And there isn’t any reason to wipe from the guy walking past to the proper scene beacuse after he walks past there is still a lot more scene after this.

benduwan said:
where´s this biggs calling audio from?

The Radio Drama, same place as I got the alt. line at the start of the third Biggs scene. I believe Adywan used it in Star Wars: Revisited as well.

the scene is longer in the original script, he’s probably recalling it from Deleted magic, also with the bigggs mourn, its fantastic that mark returned for the radio drama, just gives fan editors like you and me so much more content to work with

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s also a lot clunkier in the original script. The scene doesn’t show up until the 3rd draft and even then Biggs didn’t exist yet. I’ll have a look in Deleted Magic as well.

4th Draft (Shooting script)
BLUE LEADER: Are you … Luke Skywalker? Have you been checked out on the Incom T-65?
BIGGS: Sir, Luke is the best bushpilot in the outer rim territories.
BLUE LEADER: I met your father once when I was just a boy, he was a great pilot. You’ll do all right. If you’ve got half of your father’s skill, you’ll do better than all right.
LUKE: Thank you sir, I’ll try.

Final Shot Scene
RED LEADER: Skywalker! Are you sure you can handle this ship?
BIGGS: Sir, Luke is the best bushpilot in the outer rim territories.
RED LEADER: I met your father once when I was just a boy, he was a great pilot. If you’ve got half the skill he has, you’ll do alright.
LUKE: Thank you sir, I’ll try.

3rd Draft (unused)
BLUE LEADER: You’re Starkiller?
LUKE: Yes, sir.
BLUE LEADER: Have you been checked out?
LUKE: Yes, sir. I was considered one of the best bush pilots on Sullust. I’ve also had six hours on the T-2.
BLUE LEADER: Six hours, huh? Well, that’s your ship there. You’re blue five. You stay glued to me. I don’t want an independent operations out there. Personally I think it’s foolish for them to be sending fresh kids out on a job like this. This is no joy ride we’re going on.
LUKE: Yes, sir.

Fun fact: Sullust is a planet that was later seen in Rogue Squadron for the N64 and Battlefront II that is a volcanic lava planet that housed an imperial weapons factory which was later abandoned after The Battle of Endor.

Author
Time

will you make after this Empire " the Lando cut "?
there many lando shots out there,specially in the trailers.
short but many…

Author
Time

benduwan said:

will you make after this Empire " the Lando cut "?
there many lando shots out there,specially in the trailers.
short but many…

I haven’t seen many, but if there is enough significant scenes with Lando, I could yeah

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bobson Dugnutt said:

benduwan said:

will you make after this Empire " the Lando cut "?
there many lando shots out there,specially in the trailers.
short but many…

I haven’t seen many, but if there is enough significant scenes with Lando, I could yeah

no?
in the trailers are 4 scenes and in the bluray 1…

hmmmm…i thought there are more…😕

i´m working on a extended cut and i will ask if i can use parts from your biggs scenes in my version?
thanks

Author
Time

benduwan said:

Bobson Dugnutt said:

benduwan said:

will you make after this Empire " the Lando cut "?
there many lando shots out there,specially in the trailers.
short but many…

I haven’t seen many, but if there is enough significant scenes with Lando, I could yeah

no?
in the trailers are 4 scenes and in the bluray 1…

hmmmm…i thought there are more…😕

i´m working on a extended cut and i will ask if i can use parts from your biggs scenes in my version?
thanks

The only Lando scene I’ve seen is the Lobot getting captured one, but the deleted scenes database lists these

Lando three shots Old trailer (00:05) ***
First, you’ll see him coming up the top hatch of the Millennium Falcon looking around for Luke, then it cuts to him running towards a door and presumably trying to unlock it. Neither of these was in the original release, however for the Special Edition they added some new footage of Lando’s ascent/descent in the top hatch of the Falcon to make it look and work better.

Once I’ve got it rendered and uploaded, you’re free to use it however you wish.