Sign In

Star Wars: A New Hope (Enhanced Edition) WIP — Page 3

Author
Time

I will release it in multiple resolutions.

heil palpatine.

Author
Time

For me the two big issues with SC38 Reimagined are the shakey cam and the lens flares. Not only they just a bad thing in general but they stand out like a sore thumb in the context of this 70s film. If those can be rectified I’ll be happy.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

For me the two big issues with SC38 Reimagined are the shakey cam and the lens flares. Not only they just a bad thing in general but they stand out like a sore thumb in the context of this 70s film. If those can be rectified I’ll be happy.

Ok. I’ll see what I can do with those two issues. Some of the shakiest camera fighting has already been removed because it was too over the top. I do want to tone down SC38 significantly. So no levitating crates on fire.

heil palpatine.

Author
Time

Red Leader death - enhanced test: https://streamable.com/m1ccvu

Changes:
added shot of Red Leader’s plummeting X-Wing
reduced shot of him yelling
moved and sped up POV cockpit shot
reduced shot of Luke looking out the window
Red Leader now screams right up until his death (heard over radio)
the X-wing colliding with the Death Star is now visible
enhanced explosion vfx and sfx

heil palpatine.

Author
Time

HyperDown said:

Looking good!

Thanks. Cuts are so fast though. Will remove one of the shots probably to let it breathe slightly.

heil palpatine.

Author
Time

G&G-Fan said:

I really love the color grading, it actually makes the movie look almost new.

that is a combination of the 4k release and oohteedee’s amazing grading on D+77.

heil palpatine.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

krausfadr said:

G&G-Fan said:

I really love the color grading, it actually makes the movie look almost new.

that is a combination of the 4k release and oohteedee’s amazing grading on D+77.

Love it too, never would’ve come up with this idea myself^^
The added vfx/sfx and impact of the x-wing is great. Very excited for your finish.
2021 could be great, your work and some clips of adywans ROTJ revisited.

Author
Time

I have a couple of questions!

  • Are laser shots throughout the film going to be enhanced (colored edges, white centers)?
  • Have you considered to have the hyperspace tunnel visible from the Falcon’s cockpit when the heroes travel to Yavin? I believe Adywan and Hal’s edits feature this.

This whole thing is looking neat. I’m very hyped to watch your renewed version of the space battle.

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

I have a couple of questions!

  • Are laser shots throughout the film going to be enhanced (colored edges, white centers)?
  • Have you considered to have the hyperspace tunnel visible from the Falcon’s cockpit when the heroes travel to Yavin? I believe Adywan and Hal’s edits feature this.

This whole thing is looking neat. I’m very hyped to watch your renewed version of the space battle.

No I won’t be tweaking any laser shots. But if Adywan releases at least a 1080p, I might update my release a bit more later.

I was not aware of or considering the Falcon Hyperspace shot, but I’ll double check Revisited to see what Adywan did there.

In the final space battle there are a lot of new replacement shots. I’m working on the re-foley for that. Thanks for giving me some ideas!

heil palpatine.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

G&G-Fan said:

I think having the Falcon’s interior look like it’s in hyperspace is very important, it’s a pretty glaring mistake, I’m surprised none of the special editions have bothered to fix it.

I went back and found what Adywan did with the hyperspace tunnel. That’s a very easy fix, especially with the static cockpit; I can matte out the windows and replace the background. Plus it would be in 4K.

EDIT: I did something similar in the blade runner n-7 cut. Here I matted out windows of the spinner to add clouds: https://streamable.com/8gwf19

heil palpatine.

Author
Time

krausfadr said:

G&G-Fan said:

I think having the Falcon’s interior look like it’s in hyperspace is very important, it’s a pretty glaring mistake, I’m surprised none of the special editions have bothered to fix it.

I went back and found what Adywan did with the hyperspace tunnel. That’s a very easy fix, especially with the static cockpit; I can matte out the windows and replace the background. Plus it would be in 4K.

EDIT: I did something similar in the blade runner n-7 cut. Here I matted out windows of the spinner to add clouds: https://streamable.com/8gwf19

If you can do this it would be perfect. This is one of the most jarring genuine errors in the original and it’s good to hear it’s not difficult to do.

Author
Time

Since Adywan’s fixes are being discussed, there’s a little nitpick he does in his edit that I haven’t seen adressed anywhere else yet.

After the inspection team boards the Falcon inside the Death Star and Han and Luke lure in the troopers guarding the hatch, the off-screen altercation that ensues, originally heard with blaster fire, is replaced by a corporal struggle SFX.

It makes way more sense after that to see their stormtrooper guises looking completely pristine (more than assume the troopers missed once again at point blank, that nobody else heard the shooting or that our heroes would execute grunts so frivolously anyways).

I don’t know if its worthy including just that bit of the track but I figure it would be another one of Ady’s fixes to note (that and the wobbly doors, of course 😃).

Looking forward to the completion of yours!