Star Wars: A New Hope (Enhanced Edition) - a work in progress
in 4K, fortified with some of SC38 Reimagined
here’s an updated pass on August 15 integrating SC38 Reimagined: https://streamable.com/8o762x
Read Leader Death comparison: https://streamable.com/cejxam
This edit uses D+77 v2.3 by oohteedee in 4k as a base to start off very close to the original theatrical release of A New Hope. It adds enhancements to update many parts, mostly that didn’t quite stand the test of time…
Runtime, scene times, and scene order are the same as the original theatrical release (except for SC38; runtime may vary by several seconds after editing in SC38).
No Jabba, no R2D2 behind CG rocks, no weird changes to the Krayt dragon call, no crappy dewback motion VFX, no large CG creatures that unnecesarily block our view of the main characters, no itty bitty CG cartoon creatures running around the desert, no floating droids on Tattoine, and no ring shockwave from the Death Star.
And of course with Greedo… ONLY HAN SHOOTS!
Change list (Work in Progress):
- Added and conformed the SE 5.1 channel audio to oohteedee’s release (he used the older sounding 5.1 channel audio). Did not automatically use all the SE audio changes. For example, kept the addition of the stormtrooper saying, “close the blast doors” and the change of Beru saying, “tell YOUR uncle” but did not keep the extra C3PO dialogue added during the Sandcrawler ride.
- Note: although a lot of SE footage is used in this edit, I avoided using extra footage which exceeded the length of the original footage. For example, the extra time they added to show off the new SE Sandcrawler.
- Added SE opening crawl.
- Updated the very outdated “two old men fighting” by using limited portions of video from SC38 Reimagined in 4k; completely re-foleyed this hybrid take on Scene 38 using ANH compatible sounds (did not use any of the SC38 Reimagined audio or music).
- Added SE Sandcrawler.
- Added SE Mos Eisley long distance shot.
- Added SE speeder arrival at the cantina (has long-necked quadriped creature led by rope).
- Removed werewolf in Mos Eisley (replaced with SE creatures).
- Added SE Falcon leaving Mos Eisley.
- Replaced the shot of the Falcon in space leaving Tatooine with an amazing new shot done by an excellent VFX artist. Also replaced the Falcon in hyperspace, heading to Alderaan.
- Recut and recomposited the SE destruction of Alderaan. Now the Death Star fires from close range, and it is in the shot with Alderraan.
- Added SE Death star corridor (longer). Note: this was already incorporated into ohteedee’s mostly theatrical release.
- Added SE trash compactor monster (blinks).
- Added scene from SE when Han runs into a hangar full of stormtroopers.
- Aurabesh text from SE used instead of English on screens.
- Remove Obi-wan calling his nemesis “Darth” during their duel. Instead he calls him Vader.
- Vader steps back as Obi-wan threatens, “if you strike me down…”
- During their duel Ben says to Vader, “Vader. You cannot control the Dark Side of The Force.” Vader responds, “Your destiny lies with this lightsaber.”
- Added multiple Falcon and other ship shots from SE for the battle of Yavin.
- Added SE Temple establishing shot.
- Added multiple SE shots of X-wings taking off and their arrival at the battle of Yavin.
- For the battle of Yavin replaced many of the shots with better versions by many talented VFX artists (borrowed from some fan films, test concepts, and student work). Examples of some of the new footage: new establishing shot of the Rebel fleet heading toward Yavin, new shots of the approach to the Death Star, some better close ups of the Death Star terrain, new shots of dogfights between TIE-Fighter and X-Wings, Porkins is now actively evading laser fire before he dies, Red Leader’s death no longer laughable, new footage of the Rebel’s final descent into the Death Star trench, and new shot of X-Wings escaping the imminent Death Star explosion, heading toward a visible Yavin.
- Color corrected the Rebel ship thrusters from pink to red.
- During the Battle of Yavin R2D2 is blue instead of black.
- Cut a line during the Battle of Yavin, “Stay low.”
- Recomposited the shot of the Death Star explosion.
- Added SE establishing shot of final award ceremony.
New VFX by:
Eternal Light Pictures