Sign In

Star Wars 1977 releases on 35mm — Page 30

Author
Time

poita said:

I am going to be withdrawing from the forums here, the equipment destruction has given me reason to pause, and to be honest, the current media noise re Star Wars and fan restoration has me concerned as well.
My work has always been about preservation, both helping people with resources and technique to learn how to do it themselves, and to undertake my own preservation projects to help ensure the films I love are not lost forever. I have no interest in distributing restorations, my only goal is preservation of films that have not already been preserved.

I have thought a lot about my resources, and have decided not to make any scans I have done myself available to anyone that is not working directly in the preservation field, but feel free to contact me if you have an educational or study use, or anything else that would fall under fair usage laws. Harmy has access to the same resources that I do, and I am sure he will continue to do great work with them.

I will continue my own preservation work and rebuild my gear, and will probably setup a simple preservation website or join an existing one soon, so I am not becoming a hermit or anything, but won’t be spnding as much time online.

A big thanks to everyone on the OT forums, I have had a great time and learned so much from everyone here, and to everyone that helped me out with HDDs and resources, you will not be forgotten, I’ll keep you all in the loop as my work progresses.

This wasn’t an easy decision, I do spend an inordinate amount of time in these forums, but life has also been getting increasingly difficult, my main employer hit hard times and has let most staff go, including me, and as many of you know, one of my four daughters is physically and mentally disabled, and as she hits puberty, she has become far more difficult to look after, imagine someone who is mentally an 18 month old, that is 5 foot tall, and incredibly strong, that is simultaneously going through the both the tantrum phase of ‘the terrible twos’ and the throws of hormones and mood swings of a teenager, coupled with random violent outbursts, and you can see how it puts a lot of stress on the family, especially when you also have a three year old daughter, safety is also a real concern.

So I have decided that I probably should spend more time on family stuff, and less time online, so this seems as good a time as any to start doing exactly that.

Thanks again to everyone here that has enriched my knowledge and life in so many ways, it has been a joy and priveledge to call you my friends, even though I never met a single one of you in the real world 😃

Cheers, and goodbye

-Peter

Sorry to hear you’re leaving, Peter, but it sounds like a wise choice. I know you’ve had health, family, and now technical problems that are all quite big in their respective ways.

Also I think if I were any of the main players in the great restorations here, I would definitely be considering a period of semi-hibernation (it seems that most here are between major projects anyway). It simply isn’t worth the risk. TN1’s public website makes it much easier for the press, who are already probably primed to amplify this kind of thing due to TFA.

Best of luck Peter. See you around someday, hopefully.

Author
Time

You’ve been invaluable here, Poita. Life comes first and I’m sure we all understand and respect your decision. I am personally proud to have been a part of this forum at the same time as you were in my opinion doing some of your best work.
In whatever future endeavors you find yourself in, I’m sure all of us here will be there to support you.
The force will be with you, always.

Author
Time

That was very, very, very sad to hear poita. I do hope you’d still come back and pop in on the forums to share your knowledge from time to time as you’re in the top 5 most knowledgeable guys here IMHO. Good luck with everything.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Poita, I don’t know what else to say except…

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

poita said:

This wasn’t an easy decision, I do spend an inordinate amount of time in these forums, but life has also been getting increasingly difficult, my main employer hit hard times and has let most staff go, including me, and as many of you know, one of my four daughters is physically and mentally disabled, and as she hits puberty, she has become far more difficult to look after, imagine someone who is mentally an 18 month old, that is 5 foot tall, and incredibly strong, that is simultaneously going through the both the tantrum phase of ‘the terrible twos’ and the throws of hormones and mood swings of a teenager, coupled with random violent outbursts, and you can see how it puts a lot of stress on the family, especially when you also have a three year old daughter, safety is also a real concern.

Peter,

I have not read this thread until today, so I was unaware of the various difficulties you have faced. In addition to echoing what others have said, I just wanted to say that I believe you and the rest of your family deserve all the good thoughts we can possibly send your way. I have an Asperger’s daughter who is eight, and while many days are definitely a struggle, and more are certain to come, I’ve always known there are families out there who have it more difficult than us. And since I know many people with “normal” kids don’t have a clue with what my wife and I deal with, I’m quite comfortable in assuming I don’t have a clue what you have to deal with. I hope this does not come off poorly, because I am trying to find a way to express my admiration for you while not minimizing your love for your daughter at the same time, and I am probably failing miserably. At any rate, thank you for sharing, and best of luck for you, your daughter, and the rest of your family.

All the best,
Frink

Author
Time

We will all miss you. I hope the best for you and your family.

I am not saying this just for a cheap Star Wars reference, but…

May the Force be with you.

Author
Time

poita said:

I am going to be withdrawing from the forums here, …
Thanks again to everyone here that has enriched my knowledge and life in so many ways, it has been a joy and priveledge to call you my friends, even though I never met a single one of you in the real world 😃
Cheers, and goodbye

/me teary-eyed & feels a song coming on . . .
Happy Trails To You

'Til we meet again, poita!

Author
Time

Peter -

Incredibly sad to read, and you will be missed. You were always a help to all of us and will leave a void that we will all feel. I agree - family comes first. I echo the others in saying that I feel privileged to have been witness to some of your incredible work.

Thanks for the memory -

ww12345

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Peter, your knowledge has been invaluable to everyone here including myself. I am sad that you are withdrawing but you are making the right choice as family always comes first. I wish the best to you and your family in whatever the future might bring. Godspeed

Author
Time

You are a great man Peter. Thank-you for all your contributions to this forum. Let us know if we can ever help you in the future. Be safe, well and happy.

Author
Time

Well said sir.

TV’s Frink said:

poita said:

This wasn’t an easy decision, I do spend an inordinate amount of time in these forums, but life has also been getting increasingly difficult, my main employer hit hard times and has let most staff go, including me, and as many of you know, one of my four daughters is physically and mentally disabled, and as she hits puberty, she has become far more difficult to look after, imagine someone who is mentally an 18 month old, that is 5 foot tall, and incredibly strong, that is simultaneously going through the both the tantrum phase of ‘the terrible twos’ and the throws of hormones and mood swings of a teenager, coupled with random violent outbursts, and you can see how it puts a lot of stress on the family, especially when you also have a three year old daughter, safety is also a real concern.

Peter,

I have not read this thread until today, so I was unaware of the various difficulties you have faced. In addition to echoing what others have said, I just wanted to say that I believe you and the rest of your family deserve all the good thoughts we can possibly send your way. I have an Asperger’s daughter who is eight, and while many days are definitely a struggle, and more are certain to come, I’ve always known there are families out there who have it more difficult than us. And since I know many people with “normal” kids don’t have a clue with what my wife and I deal with, I’m quite comfortable in assuming I don’t have a clue what you have to deal with. I hope this does not come off poorly, because I am trying to find a way to express my admiration for you while not minimizing your love for your daughter at the same time, and I am probably failing miserably. At any rate, thank you for sharing, and best of luck for you, your daughter, and the rest of your family.

All the best,
Frink

Author
Time

Thanks for everything you have done Poita. Your generosity has already provided more than I could have possibly deserved.

-G

Author
Time

Poita,

You’ve been a great asset to this site but your family comes first.

Thank you for all the fish.

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time

Poita, the incredible contribution you’ve made to the preservation communities is hugely appreciated, without you many preservation efforts would never have begun. Godspeed.

__Valeyard.net __Vimeo

Author
Time

Dear Peter,
a huge thanks for all you’ve done to the community and good luck in both your personal and your professional life.

A different Peter

Author
Time

Good luck in everything. Enjoy your family…hopefully we’ll see you some day in the not too distant future.

Author
Time

I don’t think I’ve ever posted in this thread because I have no knowledge or sources that could begin to add to the plethora here. But thank you, poita. And, far more importantly, good luck to you all.

Author
Time

All the best Poita, take care and thanks for your incredible contribution to SW preservation!

Author
Time

This is indeed a sad day for us. Thanks for everything Poita. Best wishes for the future.

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

Thanks for what you’ve given this community, Poita. Best of luck, and may God bless you and your family.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

Thank you for all your contributions to the community, Peter. I wish you weren’t leaving, but I understand your situation, gotta have priorities. Wish you all the best in life.

Fanres - fan restoration forum: https://forum.fanres.com/

Author
Time

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I am rebuilding my workstation, and will continue my work, I just won’t be on the forums any more, and will be focusing on one thing at a time.
None of the scans or WIP will go to waste, and much of it will be helping other projects that are already in progress with others, both here and outside the forums, it will all be put to good use I assure you 😃

I have a couple of technical posts to finish off in the tech forums, and then it will be radio silence. Once any of the projects are complete, you will hear about them I am sure.

Thanks again to all at OT and elsewhere.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I hope the best for you and your family Poita. Thank you for all your contributions to SW preservation and in my opinion your scans are always awesome

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Peter,

Thanks for all you have done for us here at the OT. I wish you all the best for the future. May God grant you his peace, and may you feel his strength caring for your family. We are all sad to see you leave here, but understand that family comes first.

Blessings to you and your family.

dlvh