Sign In

Star Wars (1977) - 'Behind The Scenes / Making Of' images thread — Page 6

Author
Time

ATMachine said:

V.I.N.Cent said:

Huh. Looks like the sandcrawler’s side hatch was planned to be a lot bigger at one point (with likely implications for the overall scale).

I think the big hole is there to access the internals (the remote controlled machinery). Only the other side of the sandcrawler was finished and filmed (with the film flipped when necessary)

Han: Hey Lando! You kept your promise, right? Not a scratch?
Lando: Well, what’s left of her isn’t scratched. All the scratched parts got knocked off along the way.
Han (exasperated): Knocked off?!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is an interesting photo. I can see Lucas and Kurtz center-right, and someone’s fiddling with a projector in the back, so maybe they’re showing some dailies or a version of the cut or something like that?

One of the few shots were Cushing actually wore his boots.

Shooting the live action plates for the stormtroopers outside the DS hangar bay pehraps?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Note the two landspeeders on the trucks in the background.

The deleted landspeeder close-shot with the rear-projection turned off.

Pretty cool photo that I’ve never seen before. Seems like its from the scene where Ben and Luke discover the slaughtered Jawas.

Lucas applying some goop to Greedo

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m not quite sure what scene this is from. Maybe just the actors talking backstage? It seems like they’re standing directly under stage lights though.

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:
I’m not quite sure what scene this is from. Maybe just the actors talking backstage? It seems like they’re standing directly under stage lights though.

Looks to me like they’re standing in front of the Death Star viewscreen. You can just make out the slanted lower edge of the screen area.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

ATMachine said:

ZkinandBonez said:
I’m not quite sure what scene this is from. Maybe just the actors talking backstage? It seems like they’re standing directly under stage lights though.

Looks to me like they’re standing in front of the Death Star viewscreen. You can just make out the slanted lower edge of the screen area.

I had to turn up the brightness of my screen, but yes, it does seem like its the viewscreen in the background. So unless I remember those scenes incorrectly, this means that there’s a deleted scene where Tagge was present, presumably either before Leia enters the room during the destruction of Alderaan scene or some extension of the scene where Vader and Tarkin discuss the tracking beacon.

Author
Time

I think it might be an alternate take of the scene where Tarkin decides to blow up Alderaan. The actors’ positions are different, but since the scene was filmed in one shot it wouldn’t be an issue.

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

Shooting the live action plates for the stormtroopers outside the DS hangar bay pehraps?

Yep! And that’s none other than Joe Johnston in the Stormtrooper suit. Hasbro even made his action figure years ago:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ZkinandBonez said:

ATMachine said:

ZkinandBonez said:
I’m not quite sure what scene this is from. Maybe just the actors talking backstage? It seems like they’re standing directly under stage lights though.

Looks to me like they’re standing in front of the Death Star viewscreen. You can just make out the slanted lower edge of the screen area.

I had to turn up the brightness of my screen, but yes, it does seem like its the viewscreen in the background. So unless I remember those scenes incorrectly, this means that there’s a deleted scene where Tagge was present, presumably either before Leia enters the room during the destruction of Alderaan scene or some extension of the scene where Vader and Tarkin discuss the tracking beacon.

It’s probably this scene from the revised fourth draft:

INT. MAIN CONTROL ROOM - DEATH STAR

Darth Vader and the regional Governor Moff Tarkin stand before a huge screen that shows a million stars. Admiral Motti and General Tagge are standing with them.

MOTTI
The final check out is completed and all systems are operational. What course shall we set?

VADER
She has a great deal of control. Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable. It will still be some time before we can extract any useful information from her.

TARKIN
Perhaps she would respond to an alternative form of persuasion.

VADER
What do you mean?

TARKIN
I think it is time we demonstrated the full power of this station. Set your course for Alderaan…

Originally this scene came just after Luke finds the skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. But (with dialog slightly reordered and some of Tarkin’s lines given to Vader) it’s basically in the final film, but without any alternate angles.

There IS an establishing shot of the Death Star exterior, which isn’t in the script - perhaps the original idea was to use the wide angle of the bridge as the establishing shot, but that didn’t convey the idea of the scene taking place on the Death Star well enough.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

This is an interesting photo. I can see Lucas and Kurtz center-right, and someone’s fiddling with a projector in the back, so maybe they’re showing some dailies or a version of the cut or something like that?

I think this is the screening room at the proto ILM warehouse in Van Nuys.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

This is an interesting photo. I can see Lucas and Kurtz center-right, and someone’s fiddling with a projector in the back, so maybe they’re showing some dailies or a version of the cut or something like that?

People at projector: George said he wanted to show everyone the old Flash Gordon serials to go over something.
Other person realized that mistakenly they were given not Flash Gordon but Flesh Gordon…

Once again this thread and all these photos really warm my heart. One can almost feel the lips curling of all the British crew in the candids who didn’t believe in the film they were working on.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

Some of them probably worked on Flesh Gordon! 😛

I’d love to know what flop from 1977 shot at Elstree those blokes though was going to go through the roof.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

There’s actually some pretty funny stuff in Flesh Gordon. The “good, there’s oxygen on this planet” gag is a classic.

And I swear the burning wreckage of Not-Princess-Aura’s swan spaceship was an inspiration for the cutscene before the duel with Sariss in LucasArts’ Jedi Knight.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

^ from https://twitter.com/ClassicStarWars/status/1309266366885634049

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? 
Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time
 (Edited)

^ from https://twitter.com/ClassicStarWars/status/1307680920405671938 (no Dinosaurs 😉)
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? 
Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time

^ https://twitter.com/ClassicStarWars/status/1274069440900956161

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? 
Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time

Always wondered what that board hanging from the rafters was for.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My guess is that it’s a “flag” and that they’re trying to block out some light.

It looks to dark too work for bounce lighting, which is (at least in my experience at film/media schools) usually done with either white boards or silvery/golden cloth.

Author
Time

Apologies if these have already been posted (please delete if they been posted before in this thread, mods)

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

 

 

Edit: Tobar pointed out in the post below the following 3 images are from a VW TV advert based on The Cantina scenes which aired around 2012(?) - and are NOT from the making of / behind the scene of the original Star Wars film. Whoops!

Kudos to Tobar for pointing that out…

^ It’s a trap trick!