Sign In

Spence's Obi-Wan Kenobi (V3 Released) — Page 3

Author
Time

nmxuci5970 said:

I watched the edit and I would say that this a V2 improved edition we were looking for but the one thing that I would keep is obi-wan dressed in a lab coat while he’s inside the lab on faith since it’s brings a bit of chemistry into this when he adds two or more reactants the bottle with the soluble water and the reactant starts to fizz up and cause a chemical reaction. This is in a scientific point of view.

Sorry, I don’t think I’m sure what you mean? I didn’t remove anything from the lab scene.

Author
Time

I mean the lab scene brings a bit of chemistry.

Author
Time

nmxuci5970 said:

I watched the edit and I would say that this a V2 improved edition we were looking for but the one thing that I would keep is obi-wan dressed in a lab coat while he’s inside the lab on faith since it’s brings a bit of chemistry into this when he adds two or more reactants the bottle with the soluble water and the reactant starts to fizz up and cause a chemical reaction. This is in a scientific point of view.

I’ll have some of whatever you are on.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SpenceEdit said:
What is the change you are suggesting?

I’m suggesting that we can have the lab scene short where Ben enters the lab and after the chemicals explode he exits the lab on daily I and encounters bounty hunters who are wanting to squeeze on him.

Author
Time

nmxuci5970 said:

SpenceEdit said:
What is the change you are suggesting?

I’m suggesting that we can have the lab scene short where Ben enters the lab and after the chemicals explode he exits the lab on daily I and encounters bounty hunters who are wanting to squeeze on him.

I think I get it, you’re suggesting that I remove when Kenobi causes the chemical explosion in the lab. That’s actually a good idea. It’s not needed and would cut a minute off the runtime.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m trying out something for that musical transition in the duel.

(sidenote: There will likely be a V3 of this, but with less major changes. So I won’t release that until I’m 100% confident in what I have. I would like for V3 to be the last version.)

The problem with this is that the first part of the duel takes place away from the rocky area, then it cuts to Reva on Tattooine, then back to the duel where they are now in the rocky area. So removing the Reva scene kind of eliminates a smooth and sensible transition to the rocky area.

My goal so far has been to have the motion of the scene basically fool you into thinking they’ve naturally moved into the rocky area, but the audio transition has been incredibly difficult to get right, and it’s not been entirely successful.

So I tried something a bit different. I did end up cutting a bit more of the duel, but the major element missing is just Kenobi rolling around on the ground, so no great loss. I think extended the audio through until it goes silent on a major beat in the action, then kicks back in when Kenobi tries to knock the large rock onto Vader. I think this works a lot smoother than what I’ve had so far. Please take a look and let me know what you think!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17k9rTuK3drz6yIY9jNjvG83f0GmJOW4u/view?usp=sharing

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SpenceEdit said:

I’m trying out something for that musical transition in the duel.

(sidenote: There will likely be a V3 of this, but with less major changes. So I won’t release that until I’m 100% confident in what I have. I would like for V3 to be the last version.)

The problem with this is that the first part of the duel takes place away from the rocky area, then it cuts to Reva on Tattooine, then back to the duel where they are now in the rocky area. So removing the Reva scene kind of eliminates a smooth and sensible transition to the rocky area.

My goal so far has been to have the motion of the scene basically fool you into thinking they’ve naturally moved into the rocky area, but the audio transition has been incredibly difficult to get right, and it’s not been entirely successful.

So I tried something a bit different. I did end up cutting a bit more of the duel, but the major element missing is just Kenobi rolling around on the ground, so no great loss. I think extended the audio through until it goes silent on a major beat in the action, then kicks back in when Kenobi tries to knock the large rock onto Vader. I think this works a lot smoother than what I’ve had so far. Please take a look and let me know what you think!

FIXED

EDIT: It’s fixed!

(The Force Awakens) Heirs of the Force | A Star Wars Legends Re-edit

(The Last Jedi) Fate of the Jedi | A Star Wars Legends Re-edit

(The Rise of Skywalker) Legacy of the Force | A Star Wars Legends Re-edit

(The Bad Batch) Cinematic Version | A More Mature Edit

(The Mandalorian+Boba) The Way of Mandalore | A Compilation Edit

Author
Time

Fixed! Can you, uh, remove mention of that in your comment please?

Author
Time

SpenceEdit said:

I’m trying out something for that musical transition in the duel.

(sidenote: There will likely be a V3 of this, but with less major changes. So I won’t release that until I’m 100% confident in what I have. I would like for V3 to be the last version.)

The problem with this is that the first part of the duel takes place away from the rocky area, then it cuts to Reva on Tattooine, then back to the duel where they are now in the rocky area. So removing the Reva scene kind of eliminates a smooth and sensible transition to the rocky area.

My goal so far has been to have the motion of the scene basically fool you into thinking they’ve naturally moved into the rocky area, but the audio transition has been incredibly difficult to get right, and it’s not been entirely successful.

So I tried something a bit different. I did end up cutting a bit more of the duel, but the major element missing is just Kenobi rolling around on the ground, so no great loss. I think extended the audio through until it goes silent on a major beat in the action, then kicks back in when Kenobi tries to knock the large rock onto Vader. I think this works a lot smoother than what I’ve had so far. Please take a look and let me know what you think!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17k9rTuK3drz6yIY9jNjvG83f0GmJOW4u/view?usp=sharing

Watching on my phone with one airpod in but it looks and sounds pretty seamless to me.

Author
Time

This is as smooth as baby Yoda’s butt.

heil palpatine!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s slightly noticeable if you’ve really taken in the geography and are looking for it, but absolutely passable, and I think when you’re deep in the flow of the movie you’d really struggle to find any kind of objection to it. I don’t think it could really be done better.

The Clone Wars: Refocused

Author
Time

How did you address Vader staying alive after Ben has him dead to rights? It’d feel weird if boththis edit & RotS end roughly the same way.

Author
Time

Darth Raditz said:

How did you address Vader staying alive after Ben has him dead to rights? It’d feel weird if boththis edit & RotS end roughly the same way.

I don’t think there’s anything you can really do in a fan edit to change that, short of reshooting the scene.

Author
Time

I disagree, there are a few ways of addressing it. The one the seems like it’d work for this edit the best would be if Qui-Gon’s voice stressed to Ben that Anakin is still the Chosen One, so that Ben spares Vader against his better judgement.

Author
Time

Have Vader hold a puppy. Qui Gon says he’s the chosen one. Vader force chokes the puppy. Ben goes home.

heil palpatine!

Author
Time

The simple answer is Kenobi can’t bring himself to end him. Which I think is pretty clear in the acting.

Author
Time

It’s definitely possible to cut it in a way that removes the major problem with the ending of this episode. It can be edited to re-arrange the sequence of the duel, whereby the end is actually Obi-Wan underneath the pile of rocks, and Vader then walks off, leaving Obi-Wan for dead.
I’ll be doing that for my edit!

Octorox said:

Darth Raditz said:

How did you address Vader staying alive after Ben has him dead to rights? It’d feel weird if boththis edit & RotS end roughly the same way.

I don’t think there’s anything you can really do in a fan edit to change that, short of reshooting the scene.

Author
Time

I watched V1, and now V2.
V2 is really great, and I enjoyed it much more than V1!
The only odd thing I found was the inclusion of the forest chase sequence on Alderaan. It looks so comical and out of place.
Aside from that, it’s a great edit!

Author
Time

There’s only three shots from that scene in the edit, you still find that to be too much?

Author
Time

Hi Spence,

So I have to confess I’m not all the way through this yet so, I should perhaps hold off on any my overall thoughts until i can offer a full ‘review’

Anyhow, I’d just like to say that technically this is flawless and so please know that Im aware any/most/all critique’s on your work are most likely you doing the best job you can whilst trying to work within the limits and flaws of the source material.

Im also very aware that I’m mostly bringing up ‘problems’ but not offering much in the way of solutions, so it’s not like I’m suggesting I could do better?!?

This is merely me querying whether there might be more ways to skin the cat??

Iv tried to view this as a standalone movie, bringing as little of my fandom and franchise knowledge to this as possible, as if I was a first time uninitiated viewer.

Anyhow, as far as I’ve watched here are some thoughts.

The opening and the arrival of the inquisitors?

Im not sure this is the ‘way in’ to the story.

Without an opening crawl or the ‘previously on star wars’ montage, the inquisitors immediate arrival on tatooine, and hunting a nameless seems a strange/unengaging jumping off point for the story?

As i watched a bit more, I wondered if starting on Alderaan might be a better way in. Meet/introduce Leia until she gets kidnapped.

The way into this story is the abduction of a young girl… which that is what leads us to introducing our hero, Obi-wan, who after we see his down on his luck existence, receives his call to action?

Once Bail has given him the call asking for help, perhaps that prompts the arrival of the inquisitors?

That was my first thoughts?

I watched further and definitely spotted some scenes that might be better re-ordered in the edit, as I think my primary observations were that if we weren’t all comparing these edits to the source material (and what I will say is that this is already 100 percent better!) would it still hold up as a standalone movie, without our previous knowledge filling in gaps in the narrative and character motivations?

As I said above, I fully acknowledge that it’s tough to overcome the limitations of the source material, especially since that was shot and edited to work as a tv series, but I do still wonder whether we can push this further and be braver with the structure.

Something I will say about all of these Obi-wan edits is that I think the way through this is to organically find the tighter story and better characters/their motivations from almost a stage 1 rewrite, using what we have to work with, rather than trying to targetedly fix or remove the pieces we didnt like within the existing structure?

What’s the story, who are our players, and how do we get them from A to B as logically, efficiently and effectively as possible.

As above, these points aren’t specifically aimed at you or your edit, as what I have seen here has been amazing from a technical standpoint, I just wonder if we can do more to find a better story structure in amongst it all?

More to follow as I watch more….if you want it, that is?

Thanks so much for all of your hard work!!

Author
Time

smpearce1981 said:

Hi Spence,

So I have to confess I’m not all the way through this yet so, I should perhaps hold off on any my overall thoughts until i can offer a full ‘review’

Anyhow, I’d just like to say that technically this is flawless and so please know that Im aware any/most/all critique’s on your work are most likely you doing the best job you can whilst trying to work within the limits and flaws of the source material.

Im also very aware that I’m mostly bringing up ‘problems’ but not offering much in the way of solutions, so it’s not like I’m suggesting I could do better?!?

This is merely me querying whether there might be more ways to skin the cat??

Iv tried to view this as a standalone movie, bringing as little of my fandom and franchise knowledge to this as possible, as if I was a first time uninitiated viewer.

Anyhow, as far as I’ve watched here are some thoughts.

The opening and the arrival of the inquisitors?

Im not sure this is the ‘way in’ to the story.

Without an opening crawl or the ‘previously on star wars’ montage, the inquisitors immediate arrival on tatooine, and hunting a nameless seems a strange/unengaging jumping off point for the story?

As i watched a bit more, I wondered if starting on Alderaan might be a better way in. Meet/introduce Leia until she gets kidnapped.

The way into this story is the abduction of a young girl… which that is what leads us to introducing our hero, Obi-wan, who after we see his down on his luck existence, receives his call to action?

Once Bail has given him the call asking for help, perhaps that prompts the arrival of the inquisitors?

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. The short answer to this is that I’m very much happy with how I have this structurally already. I think it’s important to introduce the villains, and especially that Reva is obsessed with finding Obi-Wan, right at the very beginning. The scene introduces us to the inquisitors and the role each will play going forward. So I believe it needs to be at the beginning. Opening with Leia doesn’t solve anything there, and actually makes the kidnappers appear to be the main villains, which could be an interesting twist but is unneeded in a first act with a lot going on already.

Again, this is all my opinion. I know that other edits are doing the opening differently. I feel really strongly about structure, pace, and flow when I do a fanedit. Personally, I think it’s one of the things that makes my projects stand out, even if it’s a subconscious thing for the viewer. The way I have it now is the way that makes the most sense to me.

Author
Time

So, just so everyone is aware, there will be a Version 3 of this, and that will likely be the final version. The only way I would consider making a Version 4 is if some of the effects work being done on the Grand Inquisitor’s look some intrepid fans are doing on Reddit come to fruition. I would incorporate those.

I’m going to spend a bit longer between V2 and V3 just to make sure I have every piece of feedback and have left no stone unturned before releasing V3. So, if you’ve watched it and have things you’d like to share, please do so. Even if I don’t use the feedback, I appreciate every piece of it. Some times a new idea that I don’t want to lose will lead to other creativity I do want to use.

I am also upgrading my source for this to 2160p. I don’t know that I’ll be releasing a 4k version, as I’ve never done that before, but at minimum the final version of this will look significantly better than the current ones.