I know that there’s a ton of edits of this floating around, but I’ve been quietly taking a stab at it as well. I’ll try to give some detail here about what might make mine different.
The big stuff:
- The edit runs roughly 2 hours 21 minutes.
- I tried to envision what this would’ve looked like if it was a movie as originally intended as opposed to a stretched out miniseries. The majority of notable plot points are retained.
- Reva is still there, but the last we see of her is getting stabbed on Jabim. It’s implied that she’s dead, but left ambiguous enough that she could show up for further adventures. The whole Lars farmstead sequence is excised.
- I cut the training duel flashback, and many other instances of seeing Vader out of the suit. The only time I kept was when he and Kenobi are both in their bacta tanks. I think holding off on showing Anakin makes the broken helmet moment stronger. It also screams of “scene that was cool that we cut that we can now add back in because it’s a series”
- I removed the initial Order 66 flashback, keeping Reva’s motivations less obvious.
- I kept my eye on pacing and making this feel like an actual movie with a three act structure. There are huge chunks cut, but also more subtle changes that just trim a line or even a few seconds from a scene.
- A few, very selective scenes bring in some original Star Wars music. I didn’t want to go too heavy on this, but Leia’s theme and Imperial March make appearances.
- Selectively added some Gradient wipes as scene transitions.
- Episode 2 probably gets the most cuts. The entire rooftop sequence is excised, and Reva never puts the bounty out on Kenobi. It can be implied through other dialogue that the Inquisitors put the city on lockdown and have people looking for them. Almost every scene in this section got a little trim.
- The first Vader duel got some trims for pacing, and to minimize the silliness of Kenobi running away a bunch of times.
- The rescue from the castle is also heavily trimmed, and Kenobi does not find the frozen bodies. I thought that was cool, but it doesn’t go anywhere with regard to the rest of the plot.
- Tala’s scene with Reva is also much shorter. She doesn’t try to play the double agent card.
- The battle on Jabim is much tighter. It doesn’t feel like the Stormtroopers miss a million easy shots anymore.
- Kenobi’s decision to leave the rebels and lure Vader happens a bit faster to keep the pace high.
- There are some trims to the big duel. But they were mainly to make the scene flow together well after cutting Reva stuff.
- I added the standard Star Wars end credits music.
Generally, it’s the same plot as the show, just shrunk down to the necessities to fit a movie length and pace. I’m currently finishing up the audio editing so this should be done fairly soon.
If you have any questions about what I kept or changed, just let me know!