Sign In

Song Of The South [35mm Restoration V3] (a WIP)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For some time I’ve been working on a Song Of The South restoration from a 35mm scan, the past 2 releases I’ve done used automated cleanup, however this cleanup didn’t get all of the dirt. And thus I am redoing my restoration doing a manual dirt cleanup, along with a new color correction and using higher quality tools [PFclean rather than Virtualdub], I am also receiving help from YoshiKiller2S from the Lost Media Wiki with the dirt cleanup, though if anyone wants to help that would be great as there are 120,000+ frames to clean.

Preview [Stabilization not done yet] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xR8AvFCJ6HVd7mIpsgokGhtEMT0oC7Dy

Author
Time

Did you do it?

At what cost?

girl

Author
Time

snooker said:

Did you do it?

At what cost?

Not my scan, it’s a scan that’s been floating around for a while.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Honestly, if you guys want SOTS in good quality the best idea would be to borrow the 16mm print and get it scanned on professional equipment at 2K or 4K. It would be much better quality than the 35mm scan, and you wouldn’t have misaligned dye layers that affect the 35mm IB tech prints of this film.

Here is a small sample of some 16mm trailers that were scanned at 2K. They come from a collector friend (they’re not my scans) so I’m not sharing the full thing and they’re downsized to 1080p, but just to give everyone the idea of the kind of quality you can get from 16mm:

https://we.tl/t-2lfXehdaDq

[ Valeyard Film Archives | VFA Discord Server - for film enthusiasts, open to the public | SubscribeStar | Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time

oof i cant wait for this

Fate is best Anime/Visual Novel.

Author
Time

RU.08 said:

Honestly, if you guys want SOTS in good quality the best idea would be to borrow the 16mm print and get it scanned on professional equipment at 2K or 4K. It would be much better quality than the 35mm scan, and you wouldn’t have misaligned dye layers that affect the 35mm IB tech prints of this film.

Here is a small sample of some 16mm trailers that were scanned at 2K. They come from a collector friend (they’re not my scans) so I’m not sharing the full thing and they’re downsized to 1080p, but just to give everyone the idea of the kind of quality you can get from 16mm:

https://we.tl/t-2lfXehdaDq

can’t the scan be color corrected to match the original color timing?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hey, this is something that Notelu (OP) forgot to mention we don’t just need help with the dirt clean up, but we also need help with audio, because Notelu wants to make a stereo up-mix, but he needs help with that. So if you know someone good with sound or know someone that can help clean up the dirt, DM Notelu or me or something.

Author
Time

dwalkerdon23 said:

can’t the scan be color corrected to match the original color timing?

Not really. The scanned print had a misaligned dye channel, and an already encoded 1080p mpeg2 bd25 is the best quality anyone has of that scan. Instead of investing thousands of hours in manual clean-up my suggestion is to start fresh from a better source. The end result will be much, much better. Getting a 16mm print scanned in 2K full aperture DPX would be much higher quality than the 35mm HD Telecine transfer (and also better than the existing 16mm scan as well, obviously).

[ Valeyard Film Archives | VFA Discord Server - for film enthusiasts, open to the public | SubscribeStar | Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time

RU.08 said:

Honestly, if you guys want SOTS in good quality the best idea would be to borrow the 16mm print and get it scanned on professional equipment at 2K or 4K. It would be much better quality than the 35mm scan, and you wouldn’t have misaligned dye layers that affect the 35mm IB tech prints of this film.

Here is a small sample of some 16mm trailers that were scanned at 2K. They come from a collector friend (they’re not my scans) so I’m not sharing the full thing and they’re downsized to 1080p, but just to give everyone the idea of the kind of quality you can get from 16mm:

https://we.tl/t-2lfXehdaDq

dang I missed the preview on this.

Author
Time

How big is the raw file you ar using to restore this, I might help if it isn’t too big, as I currently am waiting on a raw scan of Temple of Doom for my restoration and that wont be small.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bridger12 said:

Any news?

Joining the question. This restoration is so important, especially with Disney refusing to release this film in an official form. It may be controversial, but it’s also a very entertaining and historically important piece of art… the preview for V3 looks so great, and cleaner than V2. I really hope this project is still in progress.

“After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working”
-The wind in the willows

Author
Time

Am also curious about it, would love to see it!

Author
Time

Not Notelu’s cleaned up version, but you can find the scan if you look hard enough.

Author
Time

EPho3nix said:

Not Notelu’s cleaned up version, but you can find the scan if you look hard enough.

Can you please share?

Author
Time

I’m looking on archive.org

There’s

[V2] Notelu’s Song Of The South Restoration

This is regarded as the best version out there. Added on there in 2018.

I also see

Song Of The South (4K Restoration)

Added in 2021. But honestly looks inferior to the V2 Notelu at least in terms of color. And may even be in upscale I don’t know.

Am I missing another better version?

Author
Time

Class316 said:

I’m looking on archive.org

There’s

[V2] Notelu’s Song Of The South Restoration

This is regarded as the best version out there. Added on there in 2018.

I also see

Song Of The South (4K Restoration)

Added in 2021. But honestly looks inferior to the V2 Notelu at least in terms of color. And may even be in upscale I don’t know.

Am I missing another better version?

The 4K restoration is an upscale, and I think it’s also out of sync, at least during “Zip a Dee Doo Dah”. There is also a fan made BluRay which was reviewed at songofthesouth.net and described as the best way to watch the film currently, but it didn’t make it to the internet as far as I know and I didn’t manage to get a copy.

“After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working”
-The wind in the willows

Author
Time

CMGF said:

The 4K restoration is an upscale, and I think it’s also out of sync, at least during “Zip a Dee Doo Dah”. There is also a fan made BluRay which was reviewed at songofthesouth.net and described as the best way to watch the film currently, but it didn’t make it to the internet as far as I know and I didn’t manage to get a copy.

I always thought the bootleg BD was just the v2 someone put on a disc and tried to make money off of. Is it really a separate restoration?

Author
Time

stwd4nder2 said:

CMGF said:

The 4K restoration is an upscale, and I think it’s also out of sync, at least during “Zip a Dee Doo Dah”. There is also a fan made BluRay which was reviewed at songofthesouth.net and described as the best way to watch the film currently, but it didn’t make it to the internet as far as I know and I didn’t manage to get a copy.

I always thought the bootleg BD was just the v2 someone put on a disc and tried to make money off of. Is it really a separate restoration?

No… you’re correct in your assessment that it’s the V2 that someone grabbed and put on a disc…