Sign In

Some ludicrously optimistic thoughts...

Author
Time
Is it even vaguely possible that Lucas, especially given his recent comments in the MTV interview about finding out which version people prefer, is releasing the September release to test the waters to see if there is money in including the OOT in the 30th anniversary boxed set. It would be logical (not that LFL have ever been logical when it comes to the OOT, but...). With Robert A. Harris volunteering, and the mass of complaints about the release (so overwhelming, in fact, that LFL actually answered), is it possible?

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mike O
Is it even vaguely possible that Lucas, especially given his recent comments in the MTV interview about finding out which version people prefer, is releasing the September release to test the waters to see if there is money in including the OOT in the 30th anniversary boxed set. It would be logical (not that LFL have ever been logical when it comes to the OOT, but...). With Robert A. Harris volunteering, and the mass of complaints about the release (so overwhelming, in fact, that LFL actually answered), is it possible?

I think the OOT will be released properly....eventually. If, for no other reason, than GL will have to keep coming up with new Star Wars material to release on video. He'll make us wait, that's for sure, but I think it will happen. If you'd asked me that question 6 months ago, I would have been skeptical, but with this 9/12 release, it's a sign of things to come.

Author
Time
I'm just hoping (against hope) that GL can't stand to release anything so embarrasing as a straight transfer from the Loser Discs. Hopefully he'll cave and actually do some work for us.
Author
Time
At the same rate, I'm sure Lucas can't stand to release anything as embarrasing (to him) as the original versions in the first place.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: ShiftyEyes
At the same rate, I'm sure Lucas can't stand to release anything as embarrasing (to him) as the original versions in the first place.
He's doing it begrudgingly, for sure.

I can't wait till the home theater and entertainment mags start doing their reviews of the DVDs- they're going to rip him a new one!

Author
Time
Well, it's nice to be optimistic, but the cynic in me says that if GL really hates the originals (which seems to be the case!) then the fact that he is releasing them at all can mean only one of two things:

1. He respects the fans and wants to give us what we want. If that were the case then he'd do a restoration, so that's not it.

2. He just wants to fart on us.

All I hope is that he realises he's cutting off his own nose by releasing sub-par material (and that he realises that people don't buy his line on the original media being deteriorated too badly/permanently altered). If he sees that people will laugh at him for releasing it without some work, and some pretty spiffy work at that (why should anyone expect less from Lucas and his $$?), then he'll be forced to actually try.

Unfortunately the cynic in me says that he is too blind to see this and all we'll get is his fart.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: bindibadgi
Well, it's nice to be optimistic, but the cynic in me says that if GL really hates the originals (which seems to be the case!) then the fact that he is releasing them at all can mean only one of two things:

1. He respects the fans and wants to give us what we want......

2. He just wants to fart on us.


Well, "no" to #1 (LOL!!!!!) and "yes" to #2

I hope he IS embarrassed by the aftermath of the 9/12 DVD releases. The entertainment reviewers are going to skewer him, and I'm sure there will be some complaints by irate fans who discover, upon popping the OT DVDs into their machines, that the DVDs are not anamorphic.

He SHOULD be embarrassed.

Author
Time
I hope that he gats made fun of so bad/ridiculed/embarassed/hated on that he gives us and proper release and doesn't make people who paid for the sub-par release buy the set again. He jsut gives them to them.

But then again I'm being VERY optimistc
Author
Time
LOL. I think you need to invent a new word to use instead of VERY there Darth Richard. I don't think English can handle such an understatement.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mielr
Originally posted by: Mike O
Is it even vaguely possible that Lucas, especially given his recent comments in the MTV interview about finding out which version people prefer, is releasing the September release to test the waters to see if there is money in including the OOT in the 30th anniversary boxed set. It would be logical (not that LFL have ever been logical when it comes to the OOT, but...). With Robert A. Harris volunteering, and the mass of complaints about the release (so overwhelming, in fact, that LFL actually answered), is it possible?
I think the OOT will be released properly....eventually. If, for no other reason, than GL will have to keep coming up with new Star Wars material to release on video. He'll make us wait, that's for sure, but I think it will happen. If you'd asked me that question 6 months ago, I would have been skeptical, but with this 9/12 release, it's a sign of things to come.



Let us hope that you are correct. This waiting game is agonizing though.

I can't wait till the home theater and entertainment mags start doing their reviews of the DVDs- they're going to rip him a new one!


THX. The best sound. The best picture. LFL can't have this both ways.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death