Sign In

Solo: A Star Wars Story — Official Review and Opinions Thread — SPOILERS — Page 7

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ryan-SWI said:

SilverWook said:

Ryan-SWI said:

pittrek said:

Wait, you guys REALLY liked the droid? Am I the only one who was glad when she was finally destroyed?

(L3 is the best SW character since Jar Jar Binks)

I’ll go so far as to say she’s even more insufferable than Jar Jar Binks.
At least it was clear Jar Jar was intended to be an obnoxious tool.

Thankfully she wasn’t in it long, and I liked 90% of the rest of the film.

Where has George ever said that was the intent for the character?

I more meant the intent was to make Jar Jar an obnoxious clown, because George thought he’d be funny.

The execution was off but I don’t think it’s too up for debate that Jar Jar was never meant to be a Representative in the Senat- Oh wait 😉

Lucas thought these guys would be hilarious too. They’re almost a dry run for Mr. Binks.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

Haarspalter said:

DominicCobb said:

dahmage said:

People only see fan service when they want to.

I actually agree with Mala about all the references that seemed fan servicey to me. But those things didn’t make it a bad film. It was a fun ride for the most part. But I certainly liked all the other recent star wars films more.

I’d say this film had considerably more fan service than Rogue One, though what there was tended to be integrated better (save that red guy, which is worse than anything in RO).

cough, cough

CGI Grand Moff Tarkin & CGI Princess Leia

Edited my post to clarify that I thought the fan service was mostly handled better in Solo, not Rogue One.

I would like to clarify my post too.

I wrote: And thank god no distracting fan service like Rogue One.

What i meant: The writers/producers/directors could have shoved in lots of recognizable stuff (= fan service elements) which is unnecessary for the story they told, like:

The Emperor
Darth Vader
Grand Moff Tarkin
Princess Leia
Death Star
Tatooine
Young Luke Skywalker
Mynocks
Alderaan
AT-ATs
Jedi
Blue milk
Jabba the Hutt
Jabbas the Palace
Rancor
Sarlacc Pit
Dropping-Jabbas-cargo plot point
Boba Fett
Slave One
Coruscant
Talking about the Force
Leading-into-A-New-Hope-Cantina-Scene-at-the-End
etc.

They could have done it - injecting lots of unnecessary star wars stuff - but they didn’t do it. Granted, they mention some of the stuff, but more importantly they did not show them. The present fan service elements were subtle enough for me. They did not distract from the story like in Rogue One.

I stand by my thesis: SOLO is a far superior ‘Star Wars Story’ movie than Rogue One.

Rogue One does not work on its own. It’s a cinematographic parasite that adheres between Episode III & IV. SOLO on the other hand works on its own. A person who never saw a single STAR WARS movie could watch SOLO without any previous knowledge. More so, there is a high possibility that this person falls in love with the universe and would like to see more of it - like A NEW HOPE. Becketts crew is a likeable bunch of scoundrels. The death of every crew member was touching in it’s own way - especially Rios and L3’s death were heart breaking.

Rogue One is redundant. Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES.
Being surrounded by yes men: the hallmark of a corrupt leader.
‘The best visual effects in the world will not compensate for a story told badly.’ - V.E.S.
‘Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.’ - SilverWook

Author
Time

Haarspalter said:
Rogue One does not work on its own. It’s a cinematographic parasite that adheres between Episode III & IV. SOLO on the other hand works on its own. A person who never saw a single STAR WARS movie could watch SOLO without any previous knowledge.

This is very true. R1 is a fake stand-alone, while, this time Solo really is a stand-alone (one shot or trilogy ?).

You nevertheless get plenty of references that serve no purpose and complete scenes recycled from Ep 4-5 and even 7… with a “teenage point of view” which is kinda super lame (the kissing scene aboard the falcon is very embarrassing).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Haarspalter said:
The death of every crew member was touching in it’s own way - especially Rios and L3’s death were heart breaking.

I didn’t find that touching. I was even glad that SJW L3 got killed… (and her death scene is ridiculous… it’s just a droid, just retrieve the memory card and put that elsewhere… AND NOT AS THE FALCON AI IF POSSIBLE GUYS !!! Stop ruining the OT, just make movies slightly related but stop making retcon that just don’t work and are lame).

Author
Time

I liked that the Empire was mostly background in this. I was sure we were going to get a gratuitous cameo of some sort on the bridge of that Star Destroyer that turned up. In the Brian Daley books, Han and Chewie were pretty far away from the Empire in the Corporate Sector.

And the whole black hole/space monster sequence will probably give me spooky dreams for a while.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

MalàStrana said:

Haarspalter said:
The death of every crew member was touching in it’s own way - especially Rios and L3’s death were heart breaking.

I didn’t find that touching. I was even glad that SJW L3 got killed… (and her death scene is ridiculous… it’s just a droid, just retrieve the memory card and put that elsewhere… AND NOT AS THE FALCON AI IF POSSIBLE GUYS !!! Stop ruining the OT, just make movies slightly related but stop making retcon that just don’t work and are lame).

So! You were the one who laughed when Artoo got fried! 😛

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

I liked that the Empire was mostly background in this. I was sure we were going to get a gratuitous cameo of some sort on the bridge of that Star Destroyer that turned up.

I liked that too. No ‘Imperial flags everywhere’/‘we have to rebel’ melancholy. The whole crime syndicate theme was a breath of fresh air. I also liked the Enfys Nest crew. Visually they looked like a Mad Max gang in space. I was surprised that their leader was an attractive young woman. I expected a scarred tough guy with a beard and one eye. The young attractive woman was better though 😉

Rogue One is redundant. Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES.
Being surrounded by yes men: the hallmark of a corrupt leader.
‘The best visual effects in the world will not compensate for a story told badly.’ - V.E.S.
‘Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.’ - SilverWook

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I got a bit of a Wrath Of Khan vibe from their look myself.



originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Brownies from Willow are hilarious. jar jar wishes he had the comedic timing of a Brownie.

K2 and L3 are welcome additions to Star Wars.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:
So! You were the one who laughed when Artoo got fried! 😛

Nah, I like R2 😕 (and I don’t like L3… not because it’s a she, because she’s lame…).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Solo is good but I’ll eat my shoes before saying it’s a technically better made film than Rogue One.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That’s not what he said 😉

(and I agree that R1 - that I don’t like - is visually gorgeous, while I find Solo very ugly)

Author
Time

MalàStrana said:

Haarspalter said:
The death of every crew member was touching in it’s own way - especially Rios and L3’s death were heart breaking.

I didn’t find that touching. I was even glad that SJW L3 got killed… (and her death scene is ridiculous… it’s just a droid, just retrieve the memory card and put that elsewhere… AND NOT AS THE FALCON AI IF POSSIBLE GUYS !!! Stop ruining the OT, just make movies slightly related but stop making retcon that just don’t work and are lame).

It’s more like the other way around, things that were said or that happen in the Original Trilogy was because of the events that happen in Solo. If Solo had come out first in 1976, then we got A New Hope in 1977, people would still be complaining. The Millennium Falcon has engine issues because of what they did in Solo during the Kessel Run. Is that fan service, yes, does it really matter, no. There’s way too many people complaining about this film, it’s a frickin movie, they’re not writing about something that actually happened. I loved the movie, even with all the references and fan service stuff, it made sense, it was funny, it had drama, danger and it told a story. Everyone is just nitpicking. I want a sequel, but I’ll never get one because of the people who gripe and complain about dumb stuff. I love what Ron Howard did, but he’ll probably never come back now. This could have been way worse than what we got, thank God Kathleen Kennedy stepped in. Remember, it’s just a damn movie.

Author
Time

There’s way too many people complaining about this film

I mean I also thought the movie was really good, but you’re literally on a Star Wars forum dude

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah I know, just upset that not everyone likes this film, or some people won’t even give it a chance because of all scores in RT or just all the stories on the media, saying it’s crashing and burning at the box office. Go see it for yourself, don’t listen to anyone. I know everyone has their own opinion, but don’t take their opinion as your own, you might like it.

Author
Time

CarboniteSolo said:

Go see it for yourself, don’t listen to anyone. I know everyone has their own opinion, but don’t take their opinion as your own, you might like it.

Completely agree. I’m glad I ended up seeing the film.
It’s not perfect, but I had a damn great time.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This movie was fantastic and I’m going to do my best to ignore some of the posts in here because if I thought like some of these posts think I’d live in a much less fun and much more dull world.

8/10 for now, hard to fully rate the day after with just one viewing. The stakes are also very low so it’s hard to rate in context of every other SW film, which all have much higher stakes.

The only thing I’d change is Maul, which is extraordinarily stupid. There are tons of people who only watch the movies, so I’m sure they’re either thinking “who the hell is that?” or “why is the dead sith from TPM not dead?” And I haven’t seen any CW episodes past the first season, so although I know he’s not dead, it’s just from a few comments here and I have no idea how he survived…nor do I care. It’s dumb.

Luckily it seems it would be super easy to cut him out of the film. You can keep the dialogue and the initial shot of him, just cut out the close up where he reveals himself. So she’s just working for someone mysterious, and not the bad guy from TPM that is dead in my canon.

Of course that’s not going to work if they make the sequel I want, dammit.

One other thing, my wife pointed out that they should have let Woody live, show him going to Tatooine, and start a Cantina. And I love this idea. In ANH Han throws him some credits and apologizes for the mess. 😃

And one other other thing, Kathleen is one of the best things to ever happen to Star Wars.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

This movie was fantastic and I’m going to do my best to ignore some of the posts in here because if I thought like some of these posts think I’d live in a much less fun and much more dull world.

8/10 for now, hard to fully rate the day after with just one viewing. The stakes are also very low so it’s hard to rate in context of every other SW film, which all have much higher stakes.

The only thing I’d change is Maul, which is extraordinarily stupid. There are tons of people who only watch the movies, so I’m sure they’re either thinking “who the hell is that?” or “why is the dead sith from TPM not dead?” And I haven’t seen any CW episodes past the first season, so although I know he’s not dead, it’s just from a few comments here and I have no idea how he survived…nor do I care. It’s dumb.

Luckily it seems it would be super easy to cut him out of the film. You can keep the dialogue and the initial shot of him, just cut out the close up where he reveals himself. So she’s just working for someone mysterious, and not the bad guy from TPM that is dead in my canon.

Of course that’s not going to work if they make the sequel I want, dammit.

One other thing, my wife pointed out that they should have let Woody live, show him going to Tatooine, and start a Cantina. And I love this idea. In ANH Han throws him some credits and apologizes for the mess. 😃

Oh wow I completely agree! -

And one other other thing, Kathleen is one of the best things to ever happen to Star Wars.

Oh wait :’)

Glad you liked the film though, I thought it was a blast from start to finish. A couple of niggles but I honestly didn’t expect to have that much fun.

The Cantina idea would have been fun and fit with his character too, haha.

Author
Time

I was pretty “meh” on it. Everyone else in my theater seemed to really like it, and I’m glad they did. I’m glad many of you like Solo so much. It just didn’t do anything for me.

Really hated that they fridged two of the women, though.

.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah they really ought to have done a lot more with Val. Kind of a waste of a Thandie Newton performance. It’s going to be cool to have Enfys in the mix moving forward, though.

Author
Time

And L3! They fridged the damn droid! That one really pissed me off.

.

Author
Time

Oh, okay.

Don’t get why them being women is relevant at all though.