Sign In

Small details that took you FOREVER to notice in the Star Wars films — Page 9

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Uggy the Ugnaught (who found the saber on Cloud City) lost it when a starcruiser line he was booked on accidentally vented his luggage into space.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

While watching Original Thrillogy’s ROTJ changes video I noticed for the first time that there’s a normal human woman in Jabba’s Palace that appears right after Oola falls into the Rancor pit. That may not seem too weird, but there aren’t that many humans in Jabba’s palace, and I remember reading in the visual dictionary as a kid that Jabba didn’t like humans, which is why there’s so few of them his entourage. Her costume is also really mundane; she’s just wearing a purple body-suit, nothing particularly science-fiction-y. When I first saw it I though it had to be part of a rehearsal without an alien suit or something like that, but she’s in all the clips (OT & SE) I’ve looked at online. The colour-grading on the SE’s is so dark that it’s hard to make her out, plus one of the shots was replaced with reaction shot of CG Sy Snootles in the SE.

https://youtu.be/WTmohwSrULY?t=347

Author
Time

When Mon Mothma reveals that the Emperor will be on the Death Star, the guy behind her has what seems like a really animated reaction to this news, turning his hold body to look at someone else.

Author
Time

Hah he’s also right back in his place after the Han/Leia reaction shot, so I guess they used two takes.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

I never noticed the gigantic 94 until now either.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t galactic standard numerals kinda/sorta resemble arabic numerals, if only very vaguely?

Not just vaguely. Unlike the retconned letters (see “Tractor beam”) the Roman numerals are still part of Star Wars universe.

Author
Time

TheHutt said:

Fang Zei said:

I never noticed the gigantic 94 until now either.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t galactic standard numerals kinda/sorta resemble arabic numerals, if only very vaguely?

Not just vaguely. Unlike the retconned letters (see “Tractor beam”) the Roman numerals are still part of Star Wars universe.

You mean Arabic. Although they did retcon Roman numerals to Episode IV. 😉

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

The TIE Bomber in the Death Star hanger at the beginning of ROTJ.

Author
Time

LexX said:

TheHutt said:

Fang Zei said:

I never noticed the gigantic 94 until now either.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t galactic standard numerals kinda/sorta resemble arabic numerals, if only very vaguely?

Not just vaguely. Unlike the retconned letters (see “Tractor beam”) the Roman numerals are still part of Star Wars universe.

You mean Arabic. Although they did retcon Roman numerals to Episode IV. 😉

Yeah, my bad. 'Twas early in the morning. 😃

Author
Time

Just found out that the TIE Pilot helmet completley re-uses the helmet design for the rebels.

For some reason I’ve always considered them as two completley separate designs, but once you compare them from the same angle it becomes obvious that they literally just took the front of a stormtrooper helmet and stuck it on the front of the rebel helmet. Pretty genius if you think about it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

One could speculate that in universe the same company that made the old helmets the Rebels use is cranking out TIE pilot versions. A good design doesn’t need to be messed with too much.

This is a great website if you don’t know about it already.
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

And as that website mentions, the Rebel pilot helmets were originally meant to have their own style of faceplates.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

ATMachine said:

And as that website mentions, the Rebel pilot helmets were originally meant to have their own style of faceplates.

I’ve noticed in a lot of movies involving pilots, in everything from WWII flicks to Top Gun they take off their oxygen asks briefly for dramatic purposes. I think rebel pilots had facemasks for emergencies in a couple Marvel comics.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

One could speculate that in universe the same company that made the old helmets the Rebels use is cranking out TIE pilot versions. A good design doesn’t need to be messed with too much.

It’s all a machine, partner.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time

I only recently realized how much ham radio influenced the audio, only after the wife said my swan 500c makes people sound like star wars, did I see the connection in the battle of yavin. much of the radio dialog sounds distinctly like single sideband, and the probe droid sounds a lot like listening to someone “off frequency”.

Author
Time

My Dad’s ancient shortwave radio would pick up all sorts of weird signals (scrambled transmissions I presume?) and it was neat when I noticed some of those turning up as background sound effects in the original film.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I only noticed for the first time yesterday when I watched the Disney+ version of ANH that the entire time Luke is trying to talk Han into flying with the Rebellion at Yavin, C-3PO and Chewbacca are chatting calmly in the background.

Author
Time

I’ve been wondering for years if Lucas gave Daniels any dialog to be saying to Chewie in that shot. Then again, maybe it was along the lines of Are you sweating more than am I in your suit? 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

joefavs said:

I only noticed for the first time yesterday when I watched the Disney+ version of ANH that the entire time Luke is trying to talk Han into flying with the Rebellion at Yavin, C-3PO and Chewbacca are chatting calmly in the background.

I’ve always loved this!
I’ve also always figured this is why he’s so concerned for 3PO in ESB. They’ve really become friends. I guess being on Chiewie’s side during chess games payed off.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

It wasn’t until fairly recently (sometime this decade) that I noticed some of the Jawas in SW '77 are relatively tall.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time

I’ve noticed that before as well. They only seem to appear in that one shot.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

IIRC, at least one of them also has a totally misaligned mask/hood as well.

Author
Time

This is more of an error than detail but still:

First Han completely tips over…

and then he’s upside down hanging

Btw, I honestly would like to know what on Earth were they thinking when they put him hanging only from his boots. Even as a kid that didn’t seem remotely possible.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It feels like you could trim three or four of those shots and solve the continuity problems by removing Han’s feetfirst fall, then having his headfirst flop be stopped by Chewie without cutting to him grabbing Han’s boots at all.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

Mocata said:

Yeah it’s dumb but it’s better than the CGI rope being added.

I feel dirty saying this, but…
I disagree. At least having a rope around his ankle gives reason.

NeverarGreat said:

It feels like you could trim three or four of those shots and solve the continuity problems by removing Han’s feetfirst fall, then having his headfirst flop be stopped by Chewie without cutting to him grabbing Han’s boots at all.

I agree all the way.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea