Sign In

Small details that took you FOREVER to notice in the Star Wars films — Page 19

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LexX said:

Speaking of small details, does anyone still know what the intercom voice says here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKs0iI68Rx8&t=30s
I have some idea but I still don’t know for sure what he says.

NeverarGreat said:

“Media Squad, prep your team and check any power (powdered?) supplies.”

Maybe. The sounds change based on what I’m expecting to hear.

That’s a tough one. I couldn’t make out anything at first, but now think NeverarGreat is very close.

  • “… squad, prep your team and check …” sounds spot on.
  • “Media” has the right sound, but the context doesn’t fit. Due to the sudden cut to this scene, perhaps there’s something before the “edia” sound that was lost in the editing?
  • My ears hear different vowel sounds (as well as a different rhythm) at the end: I don’t think it’s “power supplies”, but confess not to have a better suggestion at present.
Author
Time

Bluto said:

LexX said:

Speaking of small details, does anyone still know what the intercom voice says here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKs0iI68Rx8&t=30s
I have some idea but I still don’t know for sure what he says.

NeverarGreat said:

“Media Squad, prep your team and check any power (powdered?) supplies.”

Maybe. The sounds change based on what I’m expecting to hear.

That’s a tough one. I couldn’t make out anything at first, but now think NeverarGreat is very close.

  • “… squad, prep your team and check …” sounds spot on.
  • “Media” has the right sound, but the context doesn’t fit. Due to the sudden cut to this scene, perhaps there’s something before the “edia” sound that was lost in the editing?
  • My ears hear different vowel sounds (as well as a different rhythm) at the end: I don’t think it’s “power supplies”, but confess not to have a better suggestion at present.

Someone once suggested it’s meteor squad but I don’t know if that makes any more sense.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LexX said:

Bluto said:

LexX said:

Speaking of small details, does anyone still know what the intercom voice says here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKs0iI68Rx8&t=30s
I have some idea but I still don’t know for sure what he says.

NeverarGreat said:

“Media Squad, prep your team and check any power (powdered?) supplies.”

Maybe. The sounds change based on what I’m expecting to hear.

That’s a tough one. I couldn’t make out anything at first, but now think NeverarGreat is very close.

  • “… squad, prep your team and check …” sounds spot on.
  • “Media” has the right sound, but the context doesn’t fit. Due to the sudden cut to this scene, perhaps there’s something before the “edia” sound that was lost in the editing?
  • My ears hear different vowel sounds (as well as a different rhythm) at the end: I don’t think it’s “power supplies”, but confess not to have a better suggestion at present.

Someone once suggested it’s meteor squad but I don’t know if that makes any more sense.

Considering how early on in SW canon this is I’d say that actually makes a lot of sense. ANH has much more traditionally sci-fi elements to it the the later films did, and for all we know the announcement might be borrowed from some other movie or TV series or real life thing that just sounded right for this setting. This could even be the reason why it’s so unintelligible.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time

I doubt it since it isn’t in the script but just Ben Burtt recording himself in a church or whatever it was. I think it’s something very simple.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

LexX said:

I doubt it since it isn’t in the script but just Ben Burtt recording himself in a church or whatever it was. I think it’s something very simple.

Well, yes, that’s kinda what I meant. It could just be something he recorded at an airbase, or something he swiped from an old movie, etc. I’m sure they made sure to record/find something that wouldn’t sound (too) out of place in a starship hangar setting, but I was never suggesting it was scripted. Of course it could just be something Ben Burt made up on the spot that he felt sounded sci-fi-y and then just added enough echo and electronic crackle in post to make it borderline unintelligible. Had this been any other movie than SW I doubt we would even bother to try an analyse this incidental background noise in the first place.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time

LexX said:

Bluto said:

LexX said:

Speaking of small details, does anyone still know what the intercom voice says here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKs0iI68Rx8&t=30s
I have some idea but I still don’t know for sure what he says.

NeverarGreat said:

“Media Squad, prep your team and check any power (powdered?) supplies.”

Maybe. The sounds change based on what I’m expecting to hear.

That’s a tough one. I couldn’t make out anything at first, but now think NeverarGreat is very close.

  • “… squad, prep your team and check …” sounds spot on.
  • “Media” has the right sound, but the context doesn’t fit. Due to the sudden cut to this scene, perhaps there’s something before the “edia” sound that was lost in the editing?
  • My ears hear different vowel sounds (as well as a different rhythm) at the end: I don’t think it’s “power supplies”, but confess not to have a better suggestion at present.

Someone once suggested it’s meteor squad but I don’t know if that makes any more sense.

Meteor does sound more correct from a Star Wars perspective. I was trying to figure out what that first word was and came up with ‘Phoenix’, but Meteor does sound best.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I always heard “Sand People. Or worse.” as “Sand People. The worst.”

Also, when the Dianoga let go of Luke, I thought Luke said “I saw him, and he disappeared.” Like the dianoga literally teleported away before Luke’s eyes.

Now that I think about it, nearly all of my misheard dialogue is from ANH. It’s something specific to that movie.

Author
Time

I once was fooled into thinking Luke screaming hey, was Carrie.