Sign In

Small details that took you FOREVER to notice in the Star Wars films — Page 11

Author
Time

Well, he might have been on the other side of the moon for all we know. There must be more Imperial garrisons than that one platform. Even the legion of troops had to come somewhere. Vader could have just travelled from another spot to meet Luke.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Shopping Maul said:

screams in the void said:

I watched Return Of The Jedi last night and caught something that I never gave much thought …when the Emperor tells Vader to go to the sanctuary moon and wait for Skywalker , he does not arrive on the moon until after nightfall .In the scene right after Vader has his talk with Palps ,the rebels land on Endor and a full day passes into night before Luke goes off to meet Vader . Was there that much travel time between Death Star 2 and Endor via shuttle ? Or did Vader go off and meditate for a while before departing ? I guess this could be open to a lot of speculation .

Also Luke says to Leia “Vader’s here - on this moon…” when Vader hasn’t landed yet.

Oh god.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Shopping Maul said:

screams in the void said:

I watched Return Of The Jedi last night and caught something that I never gave much thought …when the Emperor tells Vader to go to the sanctuary moon and wait for Skywalker , he does not arrive on the moon until after nightfall .In the scene right after Vader has his talk with Palps ,the rebels land on Endor and a full day passes into night before Luke goes off to meet Vader . Was there that much travel time between Death Star 2 and Endor via shuttle ? Or did Vader go off and meditate for a while before departing ? I guess this could be open to a lot of speculation .

Also Luke says to Leia “Vader’s here - on this moon…” when Vader hasn’t landed yet.

Hmm. That’s kinda interesting.
I’m bring this up elsewhere…

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LexX said:

Well, he might have been on the other side of the moon for all we know.

Maybe? But it doesn’t make visual sense. You shouldn’t have to rationalize it.

There must be more Imperial garrisons than that one platform.

Why? They’re just protecting the shield generator.
Why would they need platforms on the other side of the planet? Why would Vader arrive there & then have to travel all the way around the entire planet to get where he was trying to go? He knew what the Rebels were up to & about where they’d be.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So apparently in the SW universe the driver’s seat is on the right.

As a side note, the speeder was built around the chassis of a British Bond Bug.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ray_afraid said:

LexX said:

Well, he might have been on the other side of the moon for all we know.

Maybe? But it doesn’t make visual sense. You shouldn’t have to rationalize it.

You also shouldn’t think about it at all.

There must be more Imperial garrisons than that one platform.

Why? They’re just protecting the shield generator.
Why would they need platforms on the other side of the planet? Why would Vader arrive there & then have to travel all the way around the entire planet to get where he was trying to go? He knew what the Rebels were up to & about where they’d be.

Because the Emperor said there was an entire legion waiting for the rebels and that was the entire plan. There were walkers, speeder bikes and even the scout trooper said there was a base. It wouldn’t be that far fetched that Vader was giving latest info on the rebels or something before meeting Luke if you have to wonder where he came from in the first place.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

I’d say that the whole “turn your brain off” kind of has to be applied to a lot of sci-fi and especially fantasy (and SW is obviously both), otherwise you wouldn’t have much of a story at all. As long as it’s balanced, and the whole narrative itself makes sense, then I think it’s ok to stretch your suspension of disbelief or bend the rules a little. I mean ESB, though generally considered the best SW films, really is the most nonsensical one of them all. The continuity of that film is a complete mess if you try to make sense of it (at face value anyway), and some scenes breaks physics even by SW standards. But, it all makes sense as a dramatic narrative and that’s what makes it a good film and justifies all the weird logic IMO.

Author
Time

You don’t have to turn your brain off to not think about unimportant things. In fact often the best way TO think is to make sure you’re not distracting yourself unnecessarily by focusing on unimportant/meaningless stuff that doesn’t matter at the expense of putting time and energy into considering other, more important things.

And of course, you have to have your brain on and working in order to even make the decision that something isn’t really worth your time to keep thinking about.

Being discerning is a skill a lot of people don’t really try to learn anymore. Now it’s just a lot of binary solutions being arrived at via external influence. It’s faster that way, and generates more “takes” that result in more responses and that’s the ultimate goal more often than not. Not understanding, not analysis. Content creation and audience reaction.

Put it this way: Thinking MORE, about EVERYTHING, isn’t the same as thinking BETTER, about what MATTERS.

…and that’s why there was probably another garrison on Endor, thanks for coming to my TED talk

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ZkinandBonez said:

I’d say that the whole “turn your brain off” kind of has to be applied to a lot of sci-fi and especially fantasy (and SW is obviously both), otherwise you wouldn’t have much of a story at all. As long as it’s balanced, and the whole narrative itself makes sense, then I think it’s ok to stretch your suspension of disbelief or bend the rules a little. I mean ESB, though generally considered the best SW films, really is the most nonsensical one of them all. The continuity of that film is a complete mess if you try to make sense of it (at face value anyway), and some scenes breaks physics even by SW standards. But, it all makes sense as a dramatic narrative and that’s what makes it a good film and justifies all the weird logic IMO.

You don’t have to turn your brain off to suspend belief.
Something can be fantastical & even silly while still making sense within it’s own context.
This is a very different topic though.

So anyway, yeah, never noticed that Luke claims Vader is on the moon before he arrives.
Neat bit of trivia & a welcome contender for a Revisited change.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

So anyway, yeah, never noticed that Luke claims Vader is on the moon before he arrives.

ray_afraid said:

Wrong. “Turn your brain off & don’t think about it” is always terrible advice.

So pic one.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

LexX said:

ray_afraid said:

So anyway, yeah, never noticed that Luke claims Vader is on the moon before he arrives.

ray_afraid said:

Wrong. “Turn your brain off & don’t think about it” is always terrible advice.

So pic one.

It’s just something I never noticed. I haven’t caught every detail.
So what?

LexX said:

You also shouldn’t think about it at all.

So please stop posting when you’re just trying to cause arguments on every thread as it seems.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LexX said:

ray_afraid said:

LexX said:

ray_afraid said:

So anyway, yeah, never noticed that Luke claims Vader is on the moon before he arrives.

ray_afraid said:

Wrong. “Turn your brain off & don’t think about it” is always terrible advice.

So pic one.

It’s just something I never noticed. I haven’t caught every detail.
So what?

LexX said:

You also shouldn’t think about it at all.

So please stop posting when you’re just trying to cause arguments on every thread as it seems.

You’ve got no point & I’m not starting arguments, but contributing to a conversation. A conversation that the others involved with don’t seem to be pissy about.

I encourage you to go through my post history & point out to the mods where I’m starting arguments.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Man behind desk [shouting]: WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Customer: Well… well, I was told outside that…

Man behind desk [shouting]: DON’T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!

Customer: What?

Man behind desk [shouting]: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!

Customer: Yes, but I came here for an argument!

Man behind desk: Oh! Oh! I’m sorry! This is abuse!

Customer: Oh! Oh, I see!

Man behind desk: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

Customer: Oh… Sorry…

Man behind desk: Not at all!

Man behind desk [under his breath]: Stupid git.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

CatBus said:

Man behind desk [shouting]: WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Customer: Well… well, I was told outside that…

Man behind desk [shouting]: DON’T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!

Customer: What?

Man behind desk [shouting]: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!

Customer: Yes, but I came here for an argument!

Man behind desk: Oh! Oh! I’m sorry! This is abuse!

Customer: Oh! Oh, I see!

Man behind desk: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

Customer: Oh… Sorry…

Man behind desk: Not at all!

Man behind desk [under his breath]: Stupid git.

Oh man, I just saw that sketch for the first time a couple months ago.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Re-watching the Wampa scene I noticed that you can see a shadow move across the cave wall. I guess because of the SE (first version I saw as a kid) is just always assumed that it was eating the Tauntaun off-screen, but it seems like in the original version the implication was that it was wandering around. Or perhaps there were meant to be several of them in the cave.

https://youtu.be/B6o2WX4crxg?t=50

Author
Time

At the beginning of this shot in ROTJ you can see Luke, Chewie, and Threepio hitching a ride to the shuttle.

Author
Time

Oh wow. How many times have I seen that movie and never EVER noticed that. That’s great.

Author
Time

Broom Kid said:

Oh wow. How many times have I seen that movie and never EVER noticed that. That’s great.

Same here. 😄

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.