Sign In

Share your good news! — Page 53

Author
Time

I’m standing in line for a free burrito right now.

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time

My application has been accepted, and I will be starting online classes for a diploma in pastry arts tomorrow! 🥳

I have altered Lucas’ visions. Pray I don’t alter them any further.

Author
Time

I got a job at my university. I’ll guide a weekly study group for an introductory analysis course.

Your thread will make a fine addition to my collection.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I just got a percentage of 56% in my physics practical assessment on vehicle collisions.

Author
Time

Job interviews went well and I should hear back from both soon.

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Star Wars has 3 eras:The eras are 1977-1983(pre Expanded Universe), (1983-2014) expanded universe or (2014- now) Disney bought version. Each are valid.

Important voice tool:
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1472151/action/topic#1472151

Author
Time

nmxuci5970 said:

I just got a percentage of 56% in my physics practical.

Practical physics exam? So what, you throw a ball and predict it’s trajectory in real time?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anakin Starkiller said:

nmxuci5970 said:

I just got a percentage of 56% in my physics practical.

Practical physics exam? So what, you throw a ball and predict it’s trajectory in real time?

So what? No one cares about your view here, It was extended practical investigation - vehicle collisions for the speed of cars (scientific poster).

Author
Time

Dude, chill out. He was just asking what that means, since most people don’t know what a “practical physics exam” is.

Author
Time

Exactly. I’ve never taken a physics class in my life. Not even remotely close to any field I’ve studied in.

Author
Time

Finally made it to the end of Year 10 and a new beginning of Year 11 2023 Academic School year.

Author
Time

I was approached by my professor about writing my bachelor thesis at her department. And in general this semester is going great, everything involving algebra and number theory is fascinating. The only course that I struggle to enjoy is elementary differential geometry, there is simply too much arithmetic involved. The greatest thing about leaving school mathematics behind was not needing to memorize that many formulas any more. Well, this course turned out to be just like that all over again.

Your thread will make a fine addition to my collection.

Author
Time

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

After five years without a PC my new laptop arrived a couple of months ago. First thing I did was play Mass Effect Legendary Edition because way back then I only played ME1 and never got around to playing ME2 and ME3. It felt so satisfying to finally go through the rest of Commander Shepard’s journey on my own terms, customizing Shepard’s armor to my liking, romancing who I wanted to and making all the decisions I wanted to make after nearly fourteen years of anticipation and having nothing but YouTube videos to see how those decisions played out. Feels great to finally get that out of my system.

Author
Time

Now that All I Want For Christmas Is You season is over, how long did you guys go without hearing it? I made it all the way to December 23.

Author
Time

I just got out of one of the worst emotional periods of my life.

For months, I’ve been trapped in an endless cycle of overblown paranoia, violent urges, and anarchist fantasies. There’s just been so much BS in the world recently (especially in the USA where I live), that it almost became a form of escapism for me to fantasize about how I’d use violence to set things right. Once I start a revolution, kill everyone who pisses me off, and become the new leader of the free world, everything will be fine, right? Or, so I told myself. In reality, it was just an illusion, a lie I told myself to avoid the feeling of powerlessness against a rigged system.

It was only today, when my fantasies reached their climax, that I was finally able to break out. Someone very important to me (who I won’t name here) had been subjected to my rants for long enough, and was finally done. They called me out on my crap, and finally drilled in the lesson that had flown over my head for years: why violence is wrong. According to them, it’s impossible to eliminate injustice completely. Killing one bad person won’t stop countless more bad people from abusing the innocent for their own personal benefit. But if I murdered them in a vain attempt to stop them, that would just result in my morality being squandered. I would rot in a jail cell for the rest of my life, and everyone would just know me as “the psycho who killed all those rich people”.

I attempted to refute their arguments, but I couldn’t. Deep inside, I knew I was wrong. So, I started to cry: something I hadn’t done in years. When I was done crying, and I finally admitted that they were right, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I was free to be myself again: to work on being the best person I can possibly be, not get irrationally upset about issues I can’t solve.

My preferred Skywalker Saga experience:
I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve always been fond of this quote from Errico Malatesta, an anarchist*:

“Violence (physical force) used to another’s hurt, which is the most brutal form of struggle between men can assume, is eminently corrupting. It tends, by its very nature, to suffocate the best sentiments of man, and to develop all the antisocial qualities, ferocity, hatred, revenge, the spirit of domination and tyranny, contempt of the weak, servility towards the strong. And this harmful tendency arises also when violence is used for a good end. […] Anarchists who rebel against every sort of oppression and struggle for the integral liberty of each and who ought thus to shrink instinctively from all acts of violence which cease to be mere resistance to oppression and become oppressive in their turn are also liable to fall into the abyss of brutal force. […] The excitement caused by some recent explosions and the admiration for the courage with which the bomb-throwers faced death, suffices to cause many anarchists to forget their program, and to enter on a path which is the most absolute negation of all anarchist ideas and sentiments.”

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/errico-malatesta-violence-as-a-social-factor

*Equating anarchism with chaos always triggers me. But I can’t fault the noob for that.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

Superweapon VII said:

I’ve always been fond of this quote from Errico Malatesta, an anarchist*:

“Violence (physical force) used to another’s hurt, which is the most brutal form of struggle between men can assume, is eminently corrupting. It tends, by its very nature, to suffocate the best sentiments of man, and to develop all the antisocial qualities, ferocity, hatred, revenge, the spirit of domination and tyranny, contempt of the weak, servility towards the strong. And this harmful tendency arises also when violence is used for a good end. […] Anarchists who rebel against every sort of oppression and struggle for the integral liberty of each and who ought thus to shrink instinctively from all acts of violence which cease to be mere resistance to oppression and become oppressive in their turn are also liable to fall into the abyss of brutal force. […] The excitement caused by some recent explosions and the admiration for the courage with which the bomb-throwers faced death, suffices to cause many anarchists to forget their program, and to enter on a path which is the most absolute negation of all anarchist ideas and sentiments.”

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/errico-malatesta-violence-as-a-social-factor

*Equating anarchism with chaos always triggers me. But I can’t fault the noob for that.

This part reminds me of the character of Lord Asriel from His Dark Materials. Throughout the books he’s constantly fighting against organized institutions but is a very shitty father to Lyra.