Sign In

Screening of the Original Version of STAR WARS July at Stockton, CA

Author
Time

For those of you fans who want to see the original version of STAR WARS on the Big Screen, take note of this.

The original version as seen in 1977 will be screening at the historic Fox Theatre (now the Bob Hope Theatre) in Stockton, CA on Sunday, July 14, 2019. Doors will open at 1 PM Pacific time with the movie following at 2 PM Pacific time.

More information is at https://foxfriends.org/ . We hope you fans will plan to attend this historic event.

“Hear you nothing that I say?”
-Yoda

Author
Time

Looks a cracking traditional cinema to watch a classic film in 😃

A decent ticket price as well.
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

“As seen in 1977.”

If this is a film print they’re showing, does it actually have the original crawl?

Not even the technicolor print that screened in Baltimore almost a decade ago had the original crawl.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

“As seen in 1977.”

If this is a film print they’re showing, does it actually have the original crawl?

Not even the technicolor print that screened in Baltimore almost a decade ago had the original crawl.

Well, the title says Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope after all…

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Hey, I live near Stockton! I’ll have to go check this out.

Author
Time

I wonder if they’ll be showing the GOUT DVD?

(just going on this screening here - https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Carolina-Theater-in-Greensboro-claims-to-be-showing-GOUT-this-weekend/id/68099/page/1)
 

Hope it sells out and there’a fair few younger fans seeing this too 😃
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Cthulhunicron said:

oojason said:

I wonder if they’ll be showing the GOUT DVD?

(just going on this screening here - https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Carolina-Theater-in-Greensboro-claims-to-be-showing-GOUT-this-weekend/id/68099/page/1)
 

Hope it sells out and there’a fair few younger fans seeing this too 😃
 

That kinda makes me nervous. I just assumed it would be a film print, but maybe that’s naive of me.

Could well be a film print mate - I certainly hope it is 😃

They are showing a film print here - https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/70mm-print-of-GOUT-on-Saturday-in-Academy-Theater-in-CA/id/68191

Either way - watching the original unaltered Star Wars on the big screen at the cinema… you lucky gits 👍

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

hiphats said:

For those of you fans who want to see the original version of STAR WARS on the Big Screen, take note of this.

The original version as seen in 1977 will be screening at the historic Fox Theatre (now the Bob Hope Theatre) in Stockton, CA on Sunday, July 14, 2019. Doors will open at 1 PM Pacific time with the movie following at 2 PM Pacific time.

More information is at https://foxfriends.org/ . We hope you fans will plan to attend this historic event.

Where did this verbiage come from? It’s not on their official website

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here is what might be the source of @hiphats information, this SoundCloud podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/mat-as-antonio-bombal/mabhollywood-on-kahi-am-and-fm-auburn-052419-aladdin-booksmart-1977-star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

The master of ceremonies for this event, Mathia Bombal, begins discussing the Star Wars screening at the 8:29 mark.

Here are the highlights:

Matia Bombal said:

…the folks at the Friends of the Fox Movie Classics Series are working very hard to have one of the closest possible to the original 1977 release presented there…

Mr. Bombal adds,

Matia Bombal said:

We’re going to find the closet thing we can to the original Star Wars from 1977 and that’s what we’ll show on this very special occasion. Star Wars. Episode IV. A New Hope.

That doesn’t sound like the Fox Theatre has the 1977 version, yet.

So I take this with a grain of salt.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Would you make the trip to that theatre, not knowing whether the theatre will show the '77 version or not, for a chance to win a 4-Disc, Blu Ray, DVD Combo of SW:TFA 3D?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

alexp120 said:

Would you make the trip to that theatre, not knowing whether the theatre will show the '77 version or not, for a chance to win a 4-Disc, Blu Ray, DVD Combo of SW:TFA 3D?

No?

Author
Time

alexp120 said:

That doesn’t sound like the Fox Theatre has the 1977 version, yet.

So I take this with a grain of salt.

This is exactly what I thought…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

@Laserschwert,

May I ask you to give a link on where you got this info from?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Again, what Criterion is involved with this? I only know of one and if it’s that Criterion, the implications are interesting.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Laserschwert said:

Just when we thought they’ve turned around:

Reading that brings to mind what I recall saying when I originally read the Flannelled One’s first proclamation that the special editions were the real versions of the films and that he would actively suppress the originals…

“Well, F*** you, George!”

Author
Time

We don’t know the bigger picture on this though. I doubt George was even texted on this one.

And I seriously doubt Criterion would touch the SE unless they could include the original version as well. If any company respects film fans, it’s them.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

We don’t know the bigger picture on this though. I doubt George was even texted on this one.

And I seriously doubt Criterion would touch the SE unless they could include the original version as well. If any company respects film fans, it’s them.

Oh, I know George wasn’t involved in this latest decision (he is out of the picture fortunately), but it is his legacy that lead to it.

So, I repeat…

“F*** you, George!”

Author
Time

Because that’s really taking the high road. 😕

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?