Sign In

STAR WARS - Special Widescreen Edition (Technidisc) (Released) — Page 2

Author
Time

msycamore said:

Asaki, thanks for helping out, I can provide Moth3r with the missing frames if you have problems with it and from the original upload of V8 (DVD9).

 Sure, go for it.

 Darth Mallwalker also offered to cap the V8 DVD9.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

^Yes , I can . . . (but I didn't last night ;)


While it shouldn't diminish this great project in any way, I'll point out
the LD cover in the original post linked from Fritz's site appear to be a Mitsubishi pressing
"Discs Manufactured in Japan"
Busted!
Here's my Technidisc cover, proudly made in USA
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1681/technidisc.th.png

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time

Not to worry - msycamore already sent me grabs from V8.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Darth Mallwalker said:

Thanks a lot for preserving this one msycamore, and thanks for sharing it.
Props to your mate who did the captures as well.

 You're welcome, and I'm glad I did, I will thank him. :)

Darth Mallwalker said:
The GOUT-sync is pure awesomeness.
Guess that means you've inserted black frames at the 2nd reel change?
I love that sort of attention to detail. Bravo!

Yes that's the way I did it, just 16 black frames inserted at the 2nd reel change and one deleted at the rebel hangar (last reel change) which was absent on the NTSC GOUT. So it was pretty easy doing this, and I figured it would be nice and convenient to just have it synced with the NTSC GOUT due to all the nice audiotracks that have been preserved and synced to that already. So, no problem. I don't think anyone will miss that one single frame anyway.

Darth Mallwalker said:

While it shouldn't diminish this great project in any way, I'll point out
the LD cover in the original post linked from Fritz's site appear to be a Mitsubishi pressing
"Discs Manufactured in Japan"
Busted!
Here's my Technidisc cover, proudly made in USA
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1681/technidisc.th.png

Good eye. ;)

Like Moth3r said, thank you for uploading this to the newsgroup whoever you are. :)

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

Hi all, long time lurker (like a few years off and on), first time poster. 

 

I've had it with George's nonsense. I've got the originals on LD and VHS, but I don't have a good LD player and they don't look very good zoomed on my widescreen TV. 

But, I do have this particular LD and I love the colors on these particular transfers, so..... how do I get started here? 

 

thanks

Author
Time

Hi milo, then you have come to the right place, I sent you a PM. Be sure to check out other preservations on this site as well.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

Nice DVD!

Is that the Revisited DVD on top of the stack of Star Wars DVDs in the background LOL?

Author
Time

Lol, yes! And just below it, obscured by the DVD I'm holding is DJ's V3 set.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nice cover, ROFLRICK. :)

DonnieDarko said:

I think this will be my preferred way of watching the original, I LOVE the color on the Tatooine sunset, it's exactly how I remember it as a kid.

Thank you very much :)

You're welcome. :)

I am actually a little surprised that people do seem to enjoy this crude old transfer, I may revisit this LD for a second attempt at a later time as there are things I would like to improve.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

msycamore said:

Nice cover, ROFLRICK. :)

DonnieDarko said:

I think this will be my preferred way of watching the original, I LOVE the color on the Tatooine sunset, it's exactly how I remember it as a kid.

Thank you very much :)

You're welcome. :)

I am actually a little surprised that people do seem to enjoy this crude old transfer, I may revisit this LD for a second attempt at a later time as there are things I would like to improve.

I must admit that even when it DOES have many problems, I still enjoy it MUCH more than the official "bonus disc" aka GOUT

Author
Time

I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for this one as I visit Half Price Books and other stores. Lots of good LD's are showing up now that so many have upgraded to DVD or upgraded to BR.  I didn't realize there were so many versions of the movie on LD where both the video content and so many audio versions are slightly different here and there. Will be fun to collect over time.

Author
Time

msycamore said:   I may revisit this LD for a second attempt at a later time as there are things I would like to improve.

That would be greatly appreciated.  :-)

Author
Time

DonnieDarko said:

I think this will be my preferred way of watching the original, I LOVE the color on the Tatooine sunset, it's exactly how I remember it as a kid.

Thank you very much :)

You're welcome. :)

I am actually a little surprised that people do seem to enjoy this crude old transfer, I may revisit this LD for a second attempt at a later time as there are things I would like to improve.

I have to agree that this my preferred version at the moment too! Please do revisit (when time permits).

<span style=“font-size: 12px;”><span>We seem to be made to suffer. It’s our lot in life.</span></span>

Author
Time

Screenshots now up here.

The first thing I noticed was the contrast (white level); the DVD recorder seems to have captured this very low and I'd recommend upping the white level if you go for a second attempt.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

Screenshots now up here.

The first thing I noticed was the contrast (white level); the DVD recorder seems to have captured this very low and I'd recommend upping the white level if you go for a second attempt.

Yes, I also noticed that when comparing with the actual LD after I was done, I've read about certain DVD recorders having that problem, or the other way around with to high white level.

The main reason for me wanting to do a second attempt at some point is the ugly chroma noise and aliasing. If I did, I would also restore the original opening and do some color correction, tweak the colors/contrast in certain scenes. So it wouldn't be a straight preservation of this LD that way.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

I'd also like to extend my thanks for this transfer - the colours are indeed as I remember them from TV screenings and old VHS releases. I really do like the colour palette - seems to fit the film perfectly and give it some visual life (unlike the GOUT).

If you're going for a second attempt, perhaps we should all chip in for a top notch laserdisc player. When the transfer is done we can probably sell it again on ebay for what we paid for it, and split the money back between us ;)

There must be someone out there reading this with an XO (or similar) machine who actually is willing to follow through on doing a transfer? A straight transfer of this LD on a top notch player would be awsome.

Author
Time

This does look funky. :) Colors look nice. So what's the verdict? Is this closer how SW should look like colorwise? It's interesting that this seems to be only(?) release with colors like this.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

msycamore said:

Moth3r said:

Screenshots now up here.

The first thing I noticed was the contrast (white level); the DVD recorder seems to have captured this very low and I'd recommend upping the white level if you go for a second attempt.

Yes, I also noticed that when comparing with the actual LD after I was done, I've read about certain DVD recorders having that problem, or the other way around with to high white level.

On a second look it's not as low as I thought. A subtle tweak is all that's required:

tweaked:

tweaked:

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

It surely would be nice to cap it on a high end player, maybe use mine and Mallwalker's copy for even better results. But I'm not sure if I would go through the trouble and send my copy to someone who suddenly turns up on these boards and saying that he owns a XO-player and then disappear. ;)

LexX said:

This does look funky. :) Colors look nice. So what's the verdict? Is this closer how SW should look like colorwise? It's interesting that this seems to be only(?) release with colors like this.

If you mean compared to GOUT, sometimes it is closer, sometimes it is not. There is a green/yellow tint on it, and I would say that the original film was more saturated in certain parts, contrast and colors are also less consistent compared to GOUT, it also have the Jawa canyon in bright day-light but with a little color correction you could make something nice with this LD. 

Why not check it out, there aren't that many DVNR-free transfers of Star Wars out there. Just lower your expectations, as it is only a LD-transfer. But for now, that is the resolution we're stuck in.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time
 (Edited)

msycamore said:

The main reason for me wanting to do a second attempt at some point is the ugly chroma noise and aliasing. If I did, I would also restore the original opening and do some color correction, tweak the colors/contrast in certain scenes. So it wouldn't be a straight preservation of this LD that way.

Ah a second edition! That sounds exciting... I look forward to whenever you can do it. I am very happy with this but a second one with less chroma noise and color correction could be an exciting project.. certainly a different experience than watching the GOUT.

I suppose if you do that this first edition could still have some use as a straight transfer/nostalgic edition.

EDIT: Just had a thought, msycamore, will you color correct the sunset scene in the eventual improved edition?

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

Screenshots now up here.

The first thing I noticed was the contrast (white level); the DVD recorder seems to have captured this very low and I'd recommend upping the white level if you go for a second attempt.

So, this was done with a standalone DVD recorder? Can newer models convert letterbox to anamorphic?

I am really enjoying this transfer msycamore. Thanks for making it available.

Author
Time

I'll wait till a V2 to check this out, but the colors do greatly intrigue me.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em