Sign In

STAR WARS: REBELS - animated tv series - 2014-2018 — Page 70

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is, I believe, the first time post-release tinkering has happened at Lucasfilm since the purchase. Up until now there’s been no “versions” of anything.

Of course the question now is if his voice work stops at this one scene for Rebels, or if they went ahead and put him in Clone Wars, too.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I can’t imagine they got McDiarmid to redub (and match the animated lip sync) on six seasons of The Clone Wars. Plus, with how highly Dave Filoni has spoken of the late Ian Abercrombie in the role, I don’t believe he’d go along with erasing that performance.

As far as changes go, this was a pretty “easy” one to make. It’s a single scene, there’s no lip sync to match, and they can even go get Witwer’s blessing if they felt so inclined. It also makes it match up better with Palpatine’s later appearance in Season Four. I don’t love it, but I also understand the inclination to do this.

EDIT: What I could see, though, is them getting McDiarmid to voice Palpatine for the upcoming final batch of Clone Wars episodes coming to Disney+. If they already got him in the booth for that, it’d be easy enough to have him read this one scene from Rebels.

Author
Time

Broom Kid said:

This is, I believe, the first time post-release tinkering has happened at Lucasfilm since the purchase. Up until now there’s been no “versions” of anything.

The series premiere movie of Rebels had a scene between Vader and the Grand Inquisitor added to it when it re-ran on ABC, and that version is the one on the S1 Blu-Ray/DVD set. I think the standalone Spark of Rebellion DVD release is the original version, but I don’t recall if that got a Blu-Ray release, too.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Broom Kid said:

This is, I believe, the first time post-release tinkering has happened at Lucasfilm since the purchase. Up until now there’s been no “versions” of anything.

The TFA home video release extended the credits. Plus you could conceivably count the intro changes to the digital versions of I-VI. But yes, this is the first significant tinkering we’ve seen.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DavidMDaut said:

EDIT: What I could see, though, is them getting McDiarmid to voice Palpatine for the upcoming final batch of Clone Wars episodes coming to Disney+. If they already got him in the booth for that, it’d be easy enough to have him read this one scene from Rebels.

That’s what I was referencing in my post.

Although honestly, if they were willing to pay him for 2 or 3 days of vocal work, they probably could have retrofitted him into the old Clone Wars episodes too. But I agree with you that such a scenario seems unlikely.

RE: the other examples of tinkering: That decision to re-do the fanfares is so weird, in retrospect. I don’t understand why they even tried it, or further, why they thought that edit was a good idea.

Author
Time

I’m fine with Ian Abercrombie’s performance for The Clone Wars, as nearly all the voices are different then their live action versions. But Tim Curry’s performance on the latter seasons stuck out like a sore thumb.

Author
Time

emanswfan said:

But Tim Curry’s performance on the latter seasons stuck out like a sore thumb.

Yeah Ambercrombie was fantastic but I’m really hoping they got McDiarmid to redo Curry’s stuff. But I doubt it, it was probably just this quick scene and maybe new material for the new season of Clone Wars.

Help finish ROTJ: Revisited!

Author
Time

Broom Kid said:

RE: the other examples of tinkering: That decision to re-do the fanfares is so weird, in retrospect. I don’t understand why they even tried it, or further, why they thought that edit was a good idea.

I think they had to because Fox was not involved in digital distribution.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

I think they had to because Fox was not involved in digital distribution.

I understand why they initially pulled the logos - they wanted digital versions up very, very quickly, and hadn’t worked out a better deal with Fox - before buying them outright, that is - what I don’t understand, especially considering their strategy for The Force Awakens and every other movie that followed, is why they thought the Lucasfilm logo needed a fanfare at all, much less the chopped up “Finale” from Empire as that fanfare.

Everything about it just sounded like a thing decided upon, started, and finished in less than an hour before someone hit publish.

Author
Time

Yeah, I don’t understand why they didn’t just do a silent LFL logo like they’ve done for all the post-Disney new releases.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

I saw fans on Reddit wanting Witwer to overdub Peter Serafinowicz’s work in TMP because Serafinowicz isn’t “part of the franchise.” These fans are dicks.

Of course, you can make up a canon reason for switching actors, say “Witwer is Maul’s voice after Maul lost his lower body to Kenobi.” As for McDiarmid redubbing the lines, I’m glad they got Witwer’s permission.