STAR WARS - SEQUEL TRILOGY ENHANCEMENT
I’ve been a faneditor for about nine years now, and did a very radical The Phantom Menace edit two years ago to mixed results. I never got around to completeing the edit fully, although I did release it. I grew tired of Star Wars, and got pretty fatigue’d by the community as well as Disney. However, this horrible sequel trilogy has made me a little impatient.
I watched TFA twice in cinema. I watched TLJ twice in cinema. I hated TFA. I disliked TLJ. Upon rewatching, I hated them both - and even more so than i thought i did. And i completely dislike the entire trilogy (two-piece) thus far.
However, upon my rewatch a couple of months ago, I got some ideas. And when i get ideas that i think are plausible to execute, my fanedit senses start tingeling.
THE MAJOR ALTERATIONS:
- Film opens with Rey.
- Removed inproper or bad comedy (Poe’s opening line, some banter on the Star Destroyer etc). Phasma being held hostage. Finn being a horny doofus. And more.
- Kylo Ren is not revealed to be Han Solo and Leia’s son BEFORE after Leia is introduced. It is revealed during the emotional dialogue between her and Han.
- No Snoke/New Emperor foreshadowing, except by name - twice. We acknowledge that Kylo Ren and Hux have a boss. That is it.
- No Death Star Weapon/Planet. Starkiller Base is just a base, with no doom weapon. Our characters travel there to do a surprise attack as well as save the force-sensitive Rey. It follows the film’s original run of events, except anything that includes the weapon.
- Rey does not win over Kylo Ren in the duel. She manages to surprise him, but no fatal strike - the ground splits, she runs off in fear. Kylo falls to the ground. We do not see him after this.
The main reason to these changes is to remove the ANH ripoff that this film is, and to make it stand more on its own two feet. Removing Snoke is also to make Kylo the main baddie, to not hype up “The new emperor” before his death in TLJ - and therefore not disappointing the audience upon Snoke’s death in TLJ as much as it did. His TLJ death will now not be as devestating to the overall plot (because he was now not foreshadowed to be the main baddie).
- The film starts with Rey. 12 minute opening.
- Luke did not try to kill Kylo Ren.
- Luke does not throw his lightsaber away. He gives it back to Rey in what should now be an emotional scene.
- Luke has no traitor-y or coward-y traits besides his guilt over Kylo and his former Jedi Temple’s doom.
- Luke doesn’t make Rey sound like some of the strongest shit ever put to existence. This includes removing all the “I did not fear it then, but i do NOW”.
- Luke is nicer to Rey and her situation than in the original film. He’s no longer on the brink of being a want-to-be-dead character.
- Rey trains on the island during the events of the film. Two training montages. A lot of time goes by. The audience can expect her to have been there for at least two or three weeks.
- Finn’s scenes are more streamlined (removing the six-scene gaps before he actually goes on his sideplot-mission).
- And of course, Canto Bight and all that crap is streamlined into something a lot more bearable and the events go by in a pace on the brink of lightning.
- No flying Leia.
… - and a lot of the obvious “done hundred times before” edits that the film need will be done as well.
Luke’s handeling of the saber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRGy8rm3iQ
Luke agrees to train Rey, once she gives her a speech about Leia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSiBwwVvNNo
Rey’s first training lesson (Not completely finished): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TwFCido9g
- For this sequence; audio is not completely finished (cleaned up), and I want a better Rey to Kylo transition. I might also change the soundtrack.
Kylo’s inner turmoil, and Leia’s heartbreak over her son: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfk7kqmoEg
Have in mind that none of these clips are fully completed, but very near.
- Luke has his original saber (green) during the Kylo confrontation.
- All the SW films have a saber duel, so I’ve borrowed Snoke’s Guard’s sequence with lightsabers. However, I might give them different colors (perhaps they all have purple instead of red, or two of them with purple and the rest red).
- Happily borrowed Hosnian Scene destruction idea and execution from NevererGreat’s edit / Hal 9000, with my own alterations to fit my story.