(The original thread can be found here:
STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [Improved]
2017 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsEiWLaBDI
Episode I is the best-looking of the three prequels, with a lot of devotion put into them from both the crew, actors as well as the director himself before he went all ludacris on digital moviemaking. It is also the most dull of the three prequels, with little to no character motivation or even plot explanation.
Some of you might remember my very enthustiastic restructering of The Phantom Menace, and although it received a Fanedit of the Month and more positive than mixed to negative reviews, it had plenty of faults - most of which many of the viewers were kind enough to look past and give good and constructive criticism too.
The project burned me out for anything Episode I-related, for what is now nearly five years, and the sequel trilogy extinguished any flame left. Now that the Sequel trilogy is objectively worse than anything from the prequels I have found the fire in my heart again to show people how good The Phantom Menace can be, and how much potential there is for the Prequel Trilogy beyond the first and very-hated chronological entry of Star Wars.
The original, completed workprint (that will be followed):
- There are new visual effects, and many alterations to both audio (voice and alien language) as well as music and sound effects.
- Story narrative altered. The Nemodians are motivated by revenge as much as Sidious’s plot (;which is to create a clone army on Naboo).
- Appearances of Lord Sidious will have his hologram face hidden for a duration of the beginning to create mystery, as well as his hologram voice altered and new plot points given.
- The Nemodians (Nute Gunray & Co.) speak in foreign Alien language, to give of new and menacing voices, as well as completely new plot points for the story.
- The Purple saber of Mace Windu will be removed in my trilogy, and given to Qui-Gon. It makes him more important, and fits his rogue style as he choses not to be on the Jedi Council. Mace Windu will get green.
- Battle Droids has a new voice, but hardly ever speak.
- Jar-Jar Binks will serve as comic relief, although appearances or voice from him that diminish an important character or story moment, will be removed or decreased. His presence is that of C-3PO in A New Hope; he’s there, but he doesn’t take up screentime that he does not deserve.
- Qui-Gon is the main character of the story. This is very clear throughout. Obi-Wan and Anakin are side-characters that will get to shine a little bit throughout, but are part of a bigger puzzle to occur in the later entries of the trilogy.
- Anakin has, to the very best of my ability, become a very strict, grown-up kid with a lot of personality. This comes across in his dialogue with Wattoo and Sebulba, as well as his lack of stupid lines or groans or unecessary screentime. There are neither any accidents in his actions.
- Anakin is not born by virgin birth - but his Chosen One Prophecy has been reinstated, and his father died (although the fans can spectulate who his father would have been/is). His mother is all he has. Anakin and Padme’s love theme is given to Anakin and his mom and their relationship.
- Darth Maul has more screentime and presence throughout.
So, let’s dive into the changes:
- A new and improved source (Downscaled 4k footage (1080p) for more detail)
- A new color grade that better suit the Prequel Trilogy, and that utilizes keyframe grading to better support outdated CGI backgrounds).
- Fixed and fixing many reported errors (freezed frames, grading issues, audio transitions and more)
- Restructured the musical structure of the film. Many people enjoyed new bits of soundtrack and foreshadowing, some hated it. Removed plenty of instances of the new Maul theme (although it still is present in a more subtle way), removed the “Falcon Theme” in all instances except for the first time we see R2-D2 and he fixes the Royal Ship, removed and replaced instances of new soundmixing with the film’s original) and more. The ONLY soundtrack that I received some complains on that I am seriously considering leaving in, is the “Across the Stars” theme for Anakin and his mother (and Padme in EP II). It is such a beautiful theme that I always envision it as Anakin’s “Love Theme” for both his mother and his future wife. It being utilized for one movie as a sort of “I have butterflies in my stomach” theme for Anakin I think utterly diminishes the soundtracks power and effect on the audience, and is a waste for the overall impact it could have on the Prequel Trilogy.
- Fixed new CGI added for The Ancient Lore. This including for instance Sidious hologram on Tattooine, some background details have been refined and improved, and of course re-graded certain scenes to a much better effect that both fit the film more as well as better mask stand-out effects in the background.
- Improved pacing (by actually adding a little bit more footage to the Naboo Underwater scenes), and trying to go for better suspense as well as character building and humour.
- Improved Dooku hologram.
- Improved first act and third act pacing.
- Reinstated some lines I have found to better fit in the “new Star Wars” and that might actually serve a purpose.
And so much more
I will also add that I am considering creating a “The Canon Cut” further down the line for those who like their films to be “canonically correct”. But for now, this is not a fully-supported Canon edit, although you could easily watch The Ancient Lore and jump straight into EP II without scratching your head.