Sign In

STAR WARS: EP V "REVISITED EDITION"ADYWAN - 12GB 1080p MP4 VERSION AVAILABLE NOW — Page 70

Author
Time
 (Edited)
doubleofive said:

Siliconmaster482 said:

Personally, I have no problem with the new lines. As much as people may pretend the prequels never happened, the added lines do support the assumption that Vader did not know what had happened to his child(ren). With the old lines, it appears he already knows Luke is his son. I mean, it's up to Ady, but IMO the newer ones are one of the SE changes I agree with.

 

The thing is, if Vader is running around the galaxy saying "The Rebels are there, and I'm sure Skywalker is with them!" and the opening crawl saying how obsessed he is with finding young Skywalker, I'm pretty sure that unless he forgot his old last name, he knows that Luke is his son. In the original version, it could be interpreted that the Emperor is just upgrading Luke's threat level, while in the new one he's basically telling Vader that Luke exists, when it's obvious that Vader knows already

 

Yeah, and it makes the Emperor look like an idiot for thinking he's laying this bombshell on Vader after a full THREE YEARS have gone by since Yavin,

and then Vader's new lines in comparison with his earlier behavior make it look like he's totally playing the Emperor for a fool (rather than cleverly negotiating to keep Luke alive for his own purposes as in the original).

 

Keep the original dialog, all the way! It's too bad nobody has a recording of Ian McDiarmand saying the word "Luke." Too bad also his vocal performance wasn't as good as Clive's.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There's another edit out there that has the Ian dialog already looped into the 1980 lines... is it the Darth Editous/ADM Hybrid Edit? I can't remember.

Author
Time

For comparison's sake:

Original:

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?
EMPEROR: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
VADER: I have felt it.
EMPEROR: We have a new enemy -- Luke Skywalker.
VADER: Yes, my master.
EMPEROR: He could destroy us.
VADER: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
EMPEROR: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
VADER: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.
EMPEROR: Yes. Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
VADER: He will join us or die, my master.

2004 DVD:

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?
EMPEROR: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
VADER: I have felt it.
EMPEROR: We have a new enemy, the young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
VADER: How is that possible?
EMPEROR: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.
VADER: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
EMPEROR: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
VADER: If he could be turned, he will become a powerful ally.
EMPEROR: Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
VADER: He will join us or die, my master.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress / Twitter

Author
Time

This change didn't make any sense to me in 2004 and it still doesn't. As doubleofive said, the crawl and Vader's own words already make it 100% clear he knows who Luke is. So what does this scene accomplish, other than to confuse the audience? I dunno.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

All right, I can see your argument there. However, when Palpatine told Vader "you killed her in your anger", Luke had not yet been born. Therefore, for all Vader knows, there could be a Luke with the same last name running around. I mean, it is a big galaxy, after all.

 

I guess I'll be ok with either version.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Kurgan said:

 

Actually, can anyone confirm... are the TIEs all blue in ESB (1980) or only the ones associated with the Executor?

After studying the video its seems all the TIEs are blue not just the ones associated with the Executor (even with the ever changing shades). It would have made a lot better sense if it was just the ones from the Executor that were blue and have the other ones grey then there wouldn't be the problem with the grey ones in ANH. The one thing that annoys me is the lame excuse that they were grey because they were the Death Star squadron. So why were the SE additions blue / grey and the Death Star ones in ROTJ blue? That is why i ignore any explanations that weren't in the movies (like the EU).

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
sgdelta1771 said:

In Ripplin's version, the star destroyers are still a bit blue and dark.

Yeah, that's because I didn't touch them. Heh. But looking at it after all this, I think they look ok at such a distance, especially as it still shows a good contrast in color between them and the SSD.

Here's the ultimate SSD; the Super Special Star Destroyer, with patented "huh?!" technology:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/Ripplin/ssd.gif

 

My crazy vinyl LP blog

My dumberer blog

My Retro blog

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Ripplin said:

sgdelta1771 said:

In Ripplin's version, the star destroyers are still a bit blue and dark.

Yeah, that's because I didn't touch them. Heh. But looking at it after all this, I think they look ok at such a distance, especially as it still shows a good contrast in color between them and the SSD.

Here's the ultimate SSD; the Super Special Star Destroyer, with patented "huh?!" technology:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/Ripplin/ssd.gif

 

 

o_0 That really disoriented me for a second.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sod it....Just make it a big purple beast!!

 

Yeah baby!!

 

 

 

 

On the subject of Super Star Destroyers, there's a line in Jedi that kinda contradicts things.

When Han and Co are travelling to Endor, Luke says something like 'Vader's on that ship" to which Han replies "Yadda Yadda, there's plenty of command ships".

I thought this was the only one?

 

http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time
doubleofive said:

So Ady, did you ever consider recoloring the TIEs in ANH blue for better consistency? And Ripplin's most recent Executor is now the definitive version.

at first yeh, but because many of the models they used were actually white the colour just wouldn't take properly and looked too fake, due to the fact that when you are recolouring something you need to be able to keep the white highlights to keep the colouring looking natural

Ripplin said:

Hey Ady, I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet: if there was pristine footage of the original Emperor scene, would you use that instead of the McDiarmid re-do? I know I would.

no. simply because the original looks nothing like the Emperor we all know now. The 2004 version is fixable to make him look like his ROTJ self so that's a better avenue IMHO

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Ripplin said:

Hey Ady, I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet: if there was pristine footage of the original Emperor scene, would you use that instead of the McDiarmid re-do? I know I would.

 

But... Why? The new one is the Emporer, the old one was a mockup for an unseen character. I mean, for preservation efforts, sure, but in terms of creating any sort of continuity, the new one is the best, regardless of dialogue choices.

 

Edit: Yeah, Ady beat me to it. :P

Author
Time

It just doesn't bother me that he (actually, that should be he/she/it) is different from in other films, that's all. ;) I'm fine either way. I've seen what some people have done with the McDiarmid performance and I know Ady will do a great job.

My crazy vinyl LP blog

My dumberer blog

My Retro blog

Author
Time
doubleofive said:

For comparison's sake:

Original:

 

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?
EMPEROR: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
VADER: I have felt it.
EMPEROR: We have a new enemy -- Luke Skywalker.
VADER: Yes, my master.
EMPEROR: He could destroy us.
VADER: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
EMPEROR: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
VADER: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.
EMPEROR: Yes. Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
VADER: He will join us or die, my master.

 

2004 DVD:

 

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?
EMPEROR: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
VADER: I have felt it.
EMPEROR: We have a new enemy, the young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
VADER: How is that possible?
EMPEROR: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.
VADER: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
EMPEROR: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
VADER: If he could be turned, he will become a powerful ally.
EMPEROR: Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
VADER: He will join us or die, my master.

 

 

A compromise version - common dialogue normal, GOUT dialogue bold, 04 dialogue italic.  All it requires is a swap out of one GOUT Vader line and trimming the rest of the '04 Emperor stuff.

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?
EMPEROR: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
VADER: I have felt it.
EMPEROR: We have a new enemy, the young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star.
VADER: Yes, my master.
EMPEROR: He could destroy us.
VADER: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
EMPEROR: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
VADER: If he could be turned, he will become a powerful ally.
EMPEROR: Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
VADER: He will join us or die, my master.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

I wonder how he learned Luke's Full name... I don't remember it being mentioned in ANH... in fact... save for about 10 seconds of Leia screaming "Luke it's too late!"  as he kicked some old man clothes on the floor, he never heard the boys name lol...


Is it not sad that in this time, we are more surprised by acts of love than acts of hate?
-Me

Author
Time

Well, there is 3 years between ANH and TESB, and the DS blowing up was a big event.  You think Vader doesn't watch the news?

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Yes... I'm sure that wall on the Executor which is a bunch of grey, clear squares were all cathode-ray tubes and you turn it on, and it's got Bill O'Reilly 24/7 :-p


Is it not sad that in this time, we are more surprised by acts of love than acts of hate?
-Me

Author
Time

I think that if you go with this color scheme for the Super Star Destroyer you'll make the Empire even more bad ass.

With all joking aside.  I just saw your opening scene and I love the color correcting.  I can't wait to see more.

Author
Time

The personal star destroyer of Darth Falfa.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time
adywan said:

That's very close to the colouring, if not exactly, that i'll be using for the Executor in ESB:R.

I tried...

Author
Time

Guys, I think I've come up with a good edit of the conversation... I actually.,.. quite enjoy my edit... I'm gonna post it as soon as it finishes rendering. I also took the liberty to toy with a few things.

 


Is it not sad that in this time, we are more surprised by acts of love than acts of hate?
-Me

Author
Time

Anywho, here's the file:

 

Emperer Talk

 

I kinda like this edit... I'll explain more when people see/comment...


Is it not sad that in this time, we are more surprised by acts of love than acts of hate?
-Me

Author
Time
GoodMusician said:

Guys, I think I've come up with a good edit of the conversation... I actually.,.. quite enjoy my edit... I'm gonna post it as soon as it finishes rendering. I also took the liberty to toy with a few things.

 

 

I think it's a nice compromise between the versions.  I also like how you took out the "offspring of Anakin Skywalker".  It flows better.