Sign In

STAR WARS: EP IV 2004 REVISITED ADYWAN *720p HD VERSION NOW IN PRODUCTION — Page 316

Author
Time

Finally watched ANH:R (i've had it for some time now, but always used to jump to different scenes) and it's near damn perfect!

only two things could be improved:

1)planet Alderaan exploding looks a bit like old CGI, not detailed enough (kind of low-res)

2)when Vader slashes Obi-Wan with his lighsabre, the movement becomes a bit too smooth and CGI for a second

 

Other than that it's far superior to anything Lucas ever came up with, and it's one of the best SEs (fan-made or official) out there (and i'm not talking only about SW). Especially the Battle for Yavin is flawless. Great work!

Author
Time

I really like Revisited, though since I have no clue how to find it, I just watched it in parts on Youtube.  One thing that I didn't like though, off the top of my head, was the ROTS music during the Obi-Wan vs. Vader duel.  There was a point in time when there were tons of mockups of that concept on Youtube, and I personally don't like the idea being used in something as creative as Revisited, because so many others have done it.

Author
Time

rpvee said:

I really like Revisited, though since I have no clue how to find it, I just watched it in parts on Youtube.  One thing that I didn't like though, off the top of my head, was the ROTS music during the Obi-Wan vs. Vader duel.  There was a point in time when there were tons of mockups of that concept on Youtube, and I personally don't like the idea being used in something as creative as Revisited, because so many others have done it.

Sounds like you'd prefer the Purist Edition. I can't find that at the moment, but I will PM you on how to get the regular edition. I would definitely recommend the DL version.

My crazy vinyl LP blog

My dumberer blog

My Retro blog

Author
Time

Sat and shared "SW:R" with another pal last night. As seems to be the case, he didn't notice most of the changes, beleiveing it had always looked that good.

He did notice, and I quote "A lot of the dumb crap" was cut (meaning the SE additions, especially in Mos Eisely). During the Obi/Darth fight he asked, "He made this like, more bad ass, right?"

Interestingly, the thing that stood out most to him was the missing last shot of Tarkin. He instantly reacted to that, with "Hey! Where's Peter Cushing!?" as the DS blew up. It was the only change he mentioned that he didn't seem to care for.

Author
Time

My first post.   I stumbled on a few Youtube clips, and here I am. I am blown away by Adywan's revamp. The color correction work and everything else done to ehance and to properly update the film is nothing short of brilliant. Any Final Edition release to survive the scrutiny of Blu-Ray and any future superior format will have to surpass this. The bar has been risen and I am in complete awe. See you folks on the Forums  

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=725516077

Author
Time

Welcome to the forums Mr. Shadow! Pleasure to have you aboard. Seems Ady has led a lot of people here.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thank you for the welcome BKEV. I am sure it will take considerable time to get know my way around here, and I cant' wait to see what others have done as well. I am another one of them SW costume builder people, working on my third clone trooper for Celebration V as we speak.  I spend most of my time on The Dented Helmet.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=725516077

Author
Time

ahhh nice another follower joins the flock :D Good to see that Adywans talents are not lost on ppl, thanks you for your nice words Shadow, I do hope you will like it here.

 

Costume builder huh? take orders ? :D

Star wars: Revisited. is now on facebook :)


http://www.facebook.com/swrevisited


Author
Time

 

A New Hope: Revisited Visual Comparison (Part 1) (Part 2)

Along with doubleofive's extensive and definitive 'A New Hope Revisited Changes List':  http://doubleofive.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/  , his 'Visual Comparison' screenshots make for a very interesting compilation of Adywan's many excellent improvements.

I hope he'll end up doing similarly comprehensive comparisons of Adywan's future edits too, eventually....  :)

 

I only bring this up because I've just come across and re-read the following 'changes' articles that were written 5 years ago when the 2004 Special Edition DVDs of the OT were originally released....which gave me the best comparison by far at the time of what had been altered, but which also made me tear my hair out due to some of the 'creative choices' they showed....

Now that I've finally got the kind of 'Special Edition' of 'SW:ANH' that I longed for at the time (thanks to 'Revisited'), it was quite fascinating to go through these articles again, to see the points and remarks that were made at the time....  They include a lot of comparison screenshots from the Original Theatrical/SE theatrical/SE DVDs, and being reminded of some of the quality issues on the DVDs made me nervous about what the Blu-ray versions will end up like for the masses....

 

SW:ANH 'changes' -  http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-one.html

SW:ESB 'changes' -  http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html

SW:ROTJ 'changes' -  http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-three.html

(and for the sake of completion, the one done later which discussed the Prequel 'changes') -  http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html

 

Oh, and keep scrolling down at the end of each article to see some interesting comments at the time, which had additional info. in them.

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Funny thing happened to me the other day...

I tried to burn a copy for a friend using Nero, yet despite the fact that the dual layer DVD I was using as the source was working (as I had just watched it with him and a few others the day before), I made 2 dual layer coasters when Nero started to burn the second layer.  I have no idea why this would happen.

I gave my friend my copy (as he was leaving the next morning from Louisville to Oklahoma) and went online to get another one for myself.  I went to fanedit and got the ISO, but now it is bombing out on me when unzipping the file at around the 85% to 90% mark.

Here is the message:
"CRC failed in 'star.wars.revisited.DVD9.NTSC\STAR_WARS_REVISITED_NTSC_DVD_9.ISO'.  File is broken"

This means that the file fanedit has is broken and needs to be replaced.  Can anyone PM me a proper link to a properly working ISO rar file?

EDIT: I'm working on some other things with it; let me see if I can get it working... will update later tonight or tomorrow morning.

         

 “You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Monroville said:

Funny thing happened to me the other day...

I tried to burn a copy for a friend using Nero, yet despite the fact that the dual layer DVD I was using as the source was working (as I had just watched it with him and a few others the day before), I made 2 dual layer coasters when Nero started to burn the second layer.  I have no idea why this would happen.

I gave my friend my copy (as he was leaving the next morning from Louisville to Oklahoma) and went online to get another one for myself.  I went to fanedit and got the ISO, but now it is bombing out on me when unzipping the file at around the 85% to 90% mark.

Here is the message:
"CRC failed in 'star.wars.revisited.DVD9.NTSC\STAR_WARS_REVISITED_NTSC_DVD_9.ISO'.  File is broken"

This means that the file fanedit has is broken and needs to be replaced.  Can anyone PM me a proper link to a properly working ISO rar file?

EDIT: I'm working on some other things with it; let me see if I can get it working... will update later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Try burning your copy with IMGburn instead. Nero isn't the most reliable burner. Or it could be that your DVD writer is on its way out or bad media

As for the download then it sounds like you have a bad rar file. find out which one is corrupt and try re-downloading it

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
 (Edited)

adywan said:

Try burning your copy with IMGburn instead. Nero isn't the most reliable burner. Or it could be that your DVD writer is on its way out or bad media

As for the download then it sounds like you have a bad rar file. find out which one is corrupt and try re-downloading it

It could also be a dirty laser on the burner itself.  I will clean it and use ImgBurn and post what happens.
BTW, how can I tell which RAR file could be corrupted?

UPDATE (10-20, 3:05pm EST):
set view to "detail" and saw that 2 of the RAR files were incomplete.  Redownloaded and unzipped successfully.  The problem now seems to be ImgBurn:


Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_51)

This Image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.
None of the cells meet the "DVD-Video specification" criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?



Does this mean that the Fanedit ISO does not include the fix posted in the previous posts?

         

 “You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

I'm going to word this as carefully as I can, because I'm a great admirer of Ady's work and I don't want this to come off too critical.  But I'm very eager to get some other opinions.

As much as I appreciate the vast majority of ANH:R, I find myself having a hard time watching it because of the Death Star interiors.  Every time we cut to the DS, I feel like I've stepped into Pleasantville...

The characters are in color (except for most of Darth Vader, minus his various lights) but everything else looks completely monochrome to my eyes.  I find it very distracting, especially in the hangar shots, in which my eyes register almost no color whatsoever.  (I wish I had the DVD with me to post a capture.)

I understand the desire to de-blue these scenes, but does anyone else find the desaturation a bit extreme?  I'd really like to know if it's just me or not.

Avoid infestation. Rotate.

Author
Time

Agreed.  That was the whole idea, the Empire is cold and lifeless.  You're starting to discover how color affects mood and perception.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Ziz said:

Agreed.  That was the whole idea, the Empire is cold and lifeless.  You're starting to discover how color affects mood and perception.

An image doesn't have to be cold and lifeless to portray coldness and lifelessness. The same way a scene doesn't have to be boring to portray boredom.

I personally don't mind the total desaturation so much, but I can understand why some do.

Author
Time
  • Lister: Why are they painting it the same color it was before?
    Rimmer: They're changing it from Ocean Grey to Military Grey. Something that should've been done a long time ago.
    Lister: Looks exactly the same to me.
    Rimmer: No. No, no, no. That's the new Military Grey bit there, and that's the dowdy, old, nasty Ocean Grey bit there. Or is it the other way around?

 

Author
Time

Count me down as truly lovin' the look of the 'Revisited' colouration throughout, compared to the SE version....especially the Death Star interiors.

I mourned the loss of the wonderful original colouration of 'SW:ANH' (as still seen on the eventual lacklustre GOUT DVD release) when I saw the SE release.  I was expecting the colour on the long-awaited DVD release of 'SW:ANH' to look fabulous, given the 'clean-up' efforts it was getting....but instead 'they'd' ruined it!

Considering that Adywan had to use the SE release as the starting point, I still find it amazing what he ended up managing to do with the colour.  I can hardly bear to look at the SE anymore after his efforts.

And I only need to look at the final trailer for 'ESB:Revisited' to know that it's going to be a revelation colour-wise too.  Those Executor interiors already look like they're going to have that 'Revisited' look that the Death Star interior colour had in the first one....in other words...far superior.  I'm sure glad he also darkened that Officer's jacket in doubleofive's comparison shots back there, to help with the continuity at that point...

Sure, it's a different 'look' to those exact original GOUT colours, but the 'Adywan-ised' look is mighty appealing in itself to these eyes, I've got to say....and at times I reckon I prefer it!  :)

I don't hold out much hope for those eventual Blu-rays though....

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

brash_stryker said:

  • Lister: Why are they painting it the same color it was before?
    Rimmer: They're changing it from Ocean Grey to Military Grey. Something that should've been done a long time ago.
    Lister: Looks exactly the same to me.
    Rimmer: No. No, no, no. That's the new Military Grey bit there, and that's the dowdy, old, nasty Ocean Grey bit there. Or is it the other way around?

 

I love that show!!