STAR WARS - A New Hope [Modernized] [Prequel-OT Bridge]
(Cover Art: ArtIsDead - Fanedit.org)
- A New Hope 4k Color Graded Version (Self-graded)
- Upscaled version of Adywan’s A New Hope Revisited (“Dazman” of OT.com)
My son inspired this project (first four years ago, and now really). He is nine years old, and when we watched the Prequels and then came over to the OT in preperation for the Kenobi Show he asked me as we came five minutes into A New Hope why “it looked so old”. Then I explained to him that they were made many years ago, and this all seemed very hard to grasp for him. Either way, he got bored after 15 minutes and haven’t talked about watching it since, so I gotta change that.
My son know I edit movies, and we watched for example my Titanic edit recently and he “loved that i had cut away the stuff with the old lady” (haha!). However, this conversation sparked my interest in modernizing A New Hope so that future generations and the ones thus far can have a softer bridge between The Prequels and The Originals. So, having my son in mind, I have tasked this mission upon myself.
- The film is heavily color graded, often scene by scene, to resemble a more digital and crisp look. This is achieved through a re-grade of the 4k version of A New Hope and Adywan’s A New Hope (Upscaled version by “Dazman” of OT.com). Video examples down below.
- Re-scoring of scenes (either to bridge a musical continuity from the Prequels with the OT, or to replace bad compression OST from the 1970’s (Leia’s Theme is a good example; it is often replaced with a 2000+ version of Leia’s Theme to get rid of the bad compression of said soundtrack). This massively helps in removing the “Old school” feel.
- Center Channel has been re-compressed and reverbed, as to sound more modern. This will probably be even further tweaked, but the current result is a mix of modern and old-school. It doesn’t sound like it was recorded yesterday, but it doesn’t sound like it was recorded in the 70’s either.
- A few pacing implementations (I know, if you are a hardcore OT fan, you should know this fanedit is already not for you; but yes, the opening of ANH is a little tad slow-paced for modern children, and I have cut a few seconds here and there. I MIGHT put them back in, if requested - or perhaps have two alternate versions.
… and more.
MODERN COLOR GRADE EXAMPLE: https://streamable.com/w5ddi7
(Also Tantive IV getting hit less obvious a model)
LUKE FINDS HIS AUNT AND UNCLE: https://streamable.com/3fzlp3
(Sound and Grading Example - Not finished! (Audio mix is too loud at places etc))
Audio Mix Example: https://streamable.com/16dee3
(Less old-school, better compression)
FIXED DESERT: https://streamable.com/o56pu8
(explanation below on page 1 - in short; fixed brightness and contrasts, focus, colors and modernized)
VFX R2-D2 ZAPPED: https://streamable.com/y9nazb
(explanation below on page 1 of thread)