Sign In

SC.38 - Forceghostrecon's Cut

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So I really enjoyed SC.38 but I’ve edited it to omit some of the scenes I didn’t think worked very well.

Changes:

  • Cut some silly angles
  • Cut bad Force-push FX
  • Cut corridor scene
  • Rearranged shots to make more sense

https://vimeo.com/335231783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgJf2cce-7Q&t=13s

ALT INTRO CUT (more Vader!)
This version incorporates a few Vader scenes from Rogue One with edited audio from ANH for a new intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9BhCeX8yjA&t=29s

 


 

Mod Edit: It has come to the moderators attention that ForceGhostRecon was a previously banned member on this site - to which FGR has himself admitted.

Author
Time

PM sent! I didn’t mind the scene. I think a lot of it could easily work in a New Hope edit, given a good editor at the helm.

Author
Time

That really fits into the movie a whole lot better than the previous one. I wonder how your shortened version would look cut into the scene…

Author
Time

Looks amazing honestly! I knew it’d work in the movie if you just removed the corridor scene. My only gripe is the scene of Obi Wan going around the corner before he confronts Vader. It’s really janky the way he looks when moving, also the camera movement is awkward. I think if you just cut to Vader walking, pulling out his saber, then back to Obi Wan at 1:17 it would look better.

Author
Time

WitchDR said:

Looks amazing honestly! I knew it’d work in the movie if you just removed the corridor scene. My only gripe is the scene of Obi Wan going around the corner before he confronts Vader. It’s really janky the way he looks when moving, also the camera movement is awkward. I think if you just cut to Vader walking, pulling out his saber, then back to Obi Wan at 1:17 it would look better.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to make some tweeks and re-release it tomorrow

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve updated the cut… I made a few tweeks for improvement and I think it’s sooo much better now.

  • Cut the “Obiwan rounding the corner” awkward shot in the intro

  • Fixed the timing on Vader’s first strike and the music cue. The editing was choppy in the original.

  • Added the close up of Vader gloves gripping his saber, which I really didn’t care for since he has the wrong gloves on but I needed the shot in order to add back in Obiwan’s “If you strike me down…” line… which i had originally omitted. I can live with the shot… Vader looks cool but the gloves are a little subpar.

  • Added lightsaber sound fx for vader’s first and last strike when he raises his saber… makes it sound much more powerful

Author
Time

This is MUCH better.

With that said, my only real gripe is with some of the shots of Obi-Wan talking. They’re pretty obviously rotoscoped. They’re not a bad attempt, but they stand out compared to the rest of the shots.

Overall, I would hope to see a fanedit include at least some of these shots as it does greatly improve the battle, especially for a modern audience. Your sequence here is a really good example of how to do it right.

“The Ziggy Edit” — A Conceptual Fanedit of Return of the Jedi

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-The-Ziggy-Edit/id/17844

Author
Time

Not only did I see the an awesome foundation for SC.38 but also a awesome shot of the Death Star Destruction -Reimagined.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I just watched the original and it really annoys me… I appreciate the work they did, and some of it is cool (their Vader fights a good deal like Vader… Until he’s punching Obi-Wan? What?), but imagining it in the context of the film just turns it into another Jedi Rocks.

It stops the film dead for a glowstick rave that serves nothing; just spectacle with no substance (but I guess that fits in perfectly with every duel since Jedi). The original fight might be clunky and awkward, but at least it serves the story and its characters, ties up the Anakin/Obi-Wan story without overshadowing the new characters, and moves the plot along. This makes it seem like Obi-Wan was fighting to do more than buy the Trio time and keep Vader’s attention away from Luke (Obi-Wan’s whole purpose there was sacrificial once he got that tractor beam out of comission, even Vader knows this, even though he didn’t know why, or that Ben wouldn’t actually die). Ben doesn’t even seem to sacrifice in the scene, he just looks like he was distracted by Luke or something, keeping his saber at the ready to continue the fight, instead of the much more impactful switching off of the saber and letting Vader cut him down.

It also uses that ham handed emotionally-pandering thing I hate so much in media, this time with the audio samples in an attempt to inject it with some artificial gravity by telling you how you should feel about the moment.

Plus the camera work doesn’t blend into the original film at all.

More of a rant than I intended, but it drives me crazy when people don’t understand that less is more when it comes to Star Wars (as we can tell by the glowing comments… Ugh); I’m all for making the duel more exciting or natural, but the original edit just misses the whole point of the original scene. Good luck with your edit though, it looks good!

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ForceGhostRecon said:

So I really enjoyed SC.38 but I’ve edited it to omit some of the scenes I didn’t think worked very well.

Changes:

  • Cut some silly angles
  • Cut bad Force-push FX
  • Cut corridor scene
  • Rearranged shots to make more sense

https://vimeo.com/335231783

Can you make a version without Revenge of the Sith dialogue?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The updated version was much better! You fixed pretty much everything I had an issue with from the first edit.
One thing I think needs to be fixed (that carries over between both edits) is the lighting in the room at the end of the fight.
When it jumps from them fighting in the hall, to the corridor (which you took out), to the room with the open door, the lighting is too different and is noticeable. I don’t know if changing the lighting would be able to help that, or maybe try rearranging a scene from what Luke and co are doing in between it.
Also the biggest glaring issue (which is on FXitinPost’s part), is Obi-Wan’s cloak. It isn’t that bad until the scene change from Obi-Wan at 3:15 to then back at him at 3:20.
Don’t know if there’s much that can be done about that, since instead of going the extra mile on superimposing Alec Guinness’s head, they decided to cover up most his head with a massive hood.

Other than those two things I think it’s near perfect. Good job!

Author
Time

Just watched. I really like what you did. I was already working on an edit of ANH with the Vader end fight from R1 spliced in the beginning, so I was going to add this to the end of the movie as well. You are a very good editor! Keep up the great work!

Author
Time

Great work! Could I get a google drive link?

Author
Time

Legacyofajedi said:

Fantastic work ForceGhost

I can’t seem to download a HD Version of the film from YouTube - was anyone able to do this?? if I can get a better quality file, I can replace it and put out a better Quality edit

Author
Time

I really appreciate what FXitinPost did but your version works much better within the style of the film. I’d love to see this added to Adywan’s Revisited.

Author
Time

Tyrphanax said:

I just watched the original and it really annoys me… I appreciate the work they did, and some of it is cool (their Vader fights a good deal like Vader… Until he’s punching Obi-Wan? What?), but imagining it in the context of the film just turns it into another Jedi Rocks.

It stops the film dead for a glowstick rave that serves nothing; just spectacle with no substance (but I guess that fits in perfectly with every duel since Jedi). The original fight might be clunky and awkward, but at least it serves the story and its characters, ties up the Anakin/Obi-Wan story without overshadowing the new characters, and moves the plot along. This makes it seem like Obi-Wan was fighting to do more than buy the Trio time and keep Vader’s attention away from Luke (Obi-Wan’s whole purpose there was sacrificial once he got that tractor beam out of comission, even Vader knows this, even though he didn’t know why, or that Ben wouldn’t actually die). Ben doesn’t even seem to sacrifice in the scene, he just looks like he was distracted by Luke or something, keeping his saber at the ready to continue the fight, instead of the much more impactful switching off of the saber and letting Vader cut him down.

It also uses that ham handed emotionally-pandering thing I hate so much in media, this time with the audio samples in an attempt to inject it with some artificial gravity by telling you how you should feel about the moment.

Plus the camera work doesn’t blend into the original film at all.

More of a rant than I intended, but it drives me crazy when people don’t understand that less is more when it comes to Star Wars (as we can tell by the glowing comments… Ugh); I’m all for making the duel more exciting or natural, but the original edit just misses the whole point of the original scene. Good luck with your edit though, it looks good!

YES, THIS.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

I’d very much prefer that people with these skills tried to improve stuff that really needs improving, like the Jabba and Solo scene, some of the mattes or even the deleted scenes.

Author
Time

4throck said:

I’d very much prefer that people with these skills tried to improve stuff that really needs improving, like the Jabba and Solo scene, some of the mattes or even the deleted scenes.

They probably disagree with you about what really needs improving.

Personally, I’ve always felt that the Obi-wan/Vader fight was the only part of the trilogy that straight up fails to live up to modern standards. The idea of seeing it updated in the film itself has me absolutely giddy with anticipation.

Author
Time

Buzz Lightyear said:

4throck said:

I’d very much prefer that people with these skills tried to improve stuff that really needs improving, like the Jabba and Solo scene, some of the mattes or even the deleted scenes.

The idea of seeing it updated in the film itself has me absolutely giddy with anticipation.

I like that idea too, but the execution here is terrible.
Technically amazing, but it doesn’t fit the look, lighting, cinematography, musical score, or even characters of the rest of the movie.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ray_afraid said:

Buzz Lightyear said:

4throck said:

I’d very much prefer that people with these skills tried to improve stuff that really needs improving, like the Jabba and Solo scene, some of the mattes or even the deleted scenes.

The idea of seeing it updated in the film itself has me absolutely giddy with anticipation.

I like that idea too, but the execution here is terrible.
Technically amazing, but it doesn’t fit the look, lighting, cinematography, musical score, or even characters of the rest of the movie.

I don’t necessarily disagree that it sticks out, but none of that really bothers me compared to how much the original fight scene bothers me (especially with OP’s cleaned up version). I just have way too much satisfaction watching the new fight scene to even begin to care about the negligible feeling of incongruity I get from it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If somebody can PM me a good quality MP4 of Adywan’s Revisited, I’ll insert my SC.38 into it (doesn’t that sound sexy??) 😃

Author
Time

^If and when you end up making that, I’d love to get a copy myself.