Sign In

Rogue One UAR: anyone interested?

Author
Time

Probably I would be able to produce an UAR version of Rogue One; to have an idea, it will look like this, more or less:

If anyone is interested, please leave a comment.

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That reminds me of how three panel Cinerama films are being presented in a Smilebox format to approximate the deeply curved screen on video.

Too bad they couldn’t open up the R1 aspect ratio a tad for the IMAX prints. The movie was spectacular looking anyway, even though shot digital.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Very much so - and thanks for making & posting your quality Hybrid Vs UAR - a simple guide in the ‘How-To’s and Technical Discussions’ - most informative!

 


Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

What does UAR stand for? Even the guide linked by oojason never actually tells me what it means… I mean, I get what it IS, but not what the “U” stands for…?

Author
Time

Thanks guys!

For the moment, I’d stick with Ultimate, but you can replace it with Unexpected, Unorthodox, Unconventional, Unusual, Universal, Useless… 😄

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|

Author
Time

What’s the source for the taller AR?

Author
Time

^…^ said:

HDTV

That’s what I thought.

I’m guessing we’re seeing more vertical info in the 1.78:1 hdtv version because the blu-ray was probably cropped on all four sides (in order to keep the aspect ratio at 2.40:1 without resizing/scaling the pixels down to 3840:1600 / 1920:800 from 4096:1706 / 2048:853) whereas the hdtv version simply crops off the sides to get the picture from 4096:1706 / 2048:853 to 3036:1706 / 1518:853. Hence we’re getting the full vertical information in the 1.78:1 version.

Has anyone done a similar comparison between the blu-ray and hdtv versions of TFA aside from the imax scene?

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

^…^ said:

HDTV

That’s what I thought.

I’m guessing we’re seeing more vertical info in the 1.78:1 hdtv version because the blu-ray was probably cropped on all four sides (in order to keep the aspect ratio at 2.40:1 without resizing/scaling the pixels down to 3840:1600 / 1920:800 from 4096:1706 / 2048:853) whereas the hdtv version simply crops off the sides to get the picture from 4096:1706 / 2048:853 to 3036:1706 / 1518:853. Hence we’re getting the full vertical information in the 1.78:1 version.

Has anyone done a similar comparison between the blu-ray and hdtv versions of TFA aside from the imax scene?

Force Awakens was filmed in anamorphic Panavision, thus the HDTV is pure pan and scan.

Author
Time

Some screenshots:






In few shots, there is no added image, hence the aspect ratio is normal letterbox; in all the others, there is a small gain top and bottom, a bit above 7% more in comparison to BD (also in very few shots, like the one in the second pic, there is a tiny bit more on one side, too - we are talking about 2 or 3 pixels…)

CourtlyHades296 said:

Has anyone done a similar comparison between the blu-ray and hdtv versions of TFA aside from the imax scene?

Force Awakens was filmed in anamorphic Panavision, thus the HDTV is pure pan and scan.

Not necessarily… an anamorphic film could gain something, too - not only on top and bottom, but sometimes also on one side: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=132920

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

Fang Zei said:

^…^ said:

HDTV

That’s what I thought.

I’m guessing we’re seeing more vertical info in the 1.78:1 hdtv version because the blu-ray was probably cropped on all four sides (in order to keep the aspect ratio at 2.40:1 without resizing/scaling the pixels down to 3840:1600 / 1920:800 from 4096:1706 / 2048:853) whereas the hdtv version simply crops off the sides to get the picture from 4096:1706 / 2048:853 to 3036:1706 / 1518:853. Hence we’re getting the full vertical information in the 1.78:1 version.

Has anyone done a similar comparison between the blu-ray and hdtv versions of TFA aside from the imax scene?

Force Awakens was filmed in anamorphic Panavision, thus the HDTV is pure pan and scan.

That’s a separate issue from what I was talking about.

Even if a movie is native 2.40:1, the 4,096/2,048 width cinema master either needs its pixels resized (which results in scaling artifacts) or needs to be evenly cropped on all four sides (so that the aspect ratio stays the same) in order to match the pixels 1:1 to the 3,840/1,920 width tv master.

But if they don’t need to worry about preserving the theatrical AR and simply want to fill out the 16:9 tv frame, well, then they only need to crop information off the sides and not the top and bottom.

Again, I’d love for someone to check the non-imax scenes of TFA’s hd broadcast to see if we’re getting just a little more vertical information from the original source.

Author
Time

I’d be very interesting in viewing a UAR version! Keep us updated as you make progress

Author
Time

Is it correction or just manipulation? That is, I have not heard that they changed the colors for the BD.

I’m looking forward to the untouched UAR release anyways.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Just a custom color correction, to have “nicer” colors/contrast, with no color reference.

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|

Author
Time

Added the crawl, and consequentely cut the title.

Test clip: http://www89.zippyshare.com/v/nKCrBCkx/file.html
just the first few minutes with the crawl and following shots, and the scenes before and after the place where there were the title - only UAR, no color correction for the moment.

Audio mix is what it is - less than perfect, but it works… all proudly done in avisynth!

Feedbacks are welcome!

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|

Author
Time

Good job with the testclip. Can you make a version without the opening crawl?

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

Good job with the testclip. Can you make a version without the opening crawl?

Thansk!

Of course, I could make a “plain” version, simply UAR, no added crawl, no color correction etc. - even if I think it will be a bit boring… 😄

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|

Author
Time

^…^ said:

CourtlyHades296 said:

Good job with the testclip. Can you make a version without the opening crawl?

Thansk!

Of course, I could make a “plain” version, simply UAR, no added crawl, no color correction etc. - even if I think it will be a bit boring… 😄

I’d be interested in that, if it also includes the original audio. Maybe it’s my mistake, but I thought this was preserving all the image possible, but it seems this may be more of a fan edit.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Well, I tinkered with the idea of making a fan edit a long ago, so maybe UAR + color correction + (slight) fan edit (only added crawl, cut original title, Jedi statue flipped to have better continuity) could be a nice project.

So, at the end, there are four possible versions:

UAR (no color correction, no edits)
UAR + color correction
UAR fan-edit
UAR fan edit + color correction

I’m keen to release the first and the last.

Of course original audio would also be included - but it will be re-encoded in the (eventual) fan edit.

Opinions?

[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|