I just started working on my Episode VI edit, following Episode I (Shadow of the past), Episode II (Keepers of the peace), Episode III (Rise of the Dark Side, unfinished), Episode IV (The son of Skywalker) and the Episode V I still haven’t started working on.
The main point here is that I don’t have to hide the plot twists anymore.
For now I’ve changed the order of some scenes.
IMHO Return of the Jedi is by far the weakest movie in the OT… and personally I enjoy ROTS more than this one.
The first act is way too long and repetitive.
Stay with me: the droids arrive at the palace - Jabba says something - the droids get captured.
Leia and Chewie arrive at the palace - Jabba says something - Chewie gets captured.
Luke arrives at the palace - Jabba says something - Luke falls into the trap.
So I’m trying to have the order of scenes suggested in the Radical Changes thread.
- Palpatine arrives in the Death Star.
- 3PO and R2 arrive at the palace and get captured.
- Leia frees Han.
- Luke arrives (+ battle at Sarlacc)
- Palpatine talks to Vader.
- Luke on Dagobah.
About the rest of the movie, I will make the same changes I tried on previous edits, so Color Corrections, new music tracks, etc.
I’ll try to totally remove Boba Fett, or make him leave the palace before the Sarlacc scene. Anyway, he does not die in the desert.
- Modern intro, with Disney era Lucasfilm logo.
- New crawl.
- Movie starts with Palpatine’s arrival in the DSII. Different cut to make it believable. Also new music track.
- New Tatooine sky.
- New Jabba’s palace exterior.
- Color corrected interior.
- Enhanced Luke’s hologram.
- Band plays some music here, not later. I never liked the band scene, not even the original. Plus, we see Leia’s bounty hunter now. He/she looks at 3PO before he gets taken away.
- No tentacle-thing grabbing 3PO.
- No 3PO waving like the droid behind him.
- Digitally removed Boba Fett. He does not die in the movie. He is not even on Tatooine. Makes him cooler… the only guy who managed to make the heroes fail. And survived.
- Totally removed song and dance. I always hated both versions. Plus, it makes the Rancor trap later more a surprise.
- No Leia and Chewie arrival. At the beginning we HEAR 3PO saying that Lando and Chewie “never returned”. They are already there. Lando in disguise and Chewie prisoner. We see in a previous shot Leia-bounty hunter, and stop.
- Enhanced colors during the Leia-freeing-Han scene.
- Color corrected Tatooine desert.
- Added twin suns when possible, and original Sarlacc restored (Despecialized).
- Removed shot of the droids extraction from sand.
- Enhanced planet view of Tatooine.
- Enhanced Ben’s Force ghost.
- Enhanced rebel briefing colors and hologram.
- Added force shield to rebel hangar.
- Removed view of Lando walking away towards the matte painting. I had to keep the previous shots because of important dialogue.
- No “I have the feeling that I won’t see here again”. Han just looks at the Falcon and we realize he is worried.
- Added short shot of Sith Wayfinder in the Throne Room display.
- Enhanced lights.
- Enhanced Endor colors.
- No Han’s “Hey, it’s me!”. And no Luke telling him to be quiet.
- Added tracks during speeder chase.
- Cut Leia flying with the speeder. I’ve always hated it. In my mind, speeders are not ships, they should just hover.
- Cut Leia meeting Wicket. We should be worried about her as much as Luke and Han are. Plus, that’s a totally useless scene.
- Cut Emperor wondering about Vader’s feelings.
- Shortened 3PO telling the story, and cut Leia’s reaction. It looks like she’s never heard anything like that.
- Cut Han asking multiple questions to 3PO. He just asks one, and we cut to the Luke/Leia scene.
- Trimmed Han/Leia. Han does not show jealousy.
- Color corrected Vader/Luke scene.
- Cut Vader telling Luke that he MUST obey his master, or that it’s too late for him. It sounds like the Dark Side is a torture for him, and I know it is like that. But in the movie we should still see Vader as a menacing bad guy.
- Shortened Ewok on speeder.
- Reduced Ewoks in battle. They are just a surprise effect.
- Space and ground battles are totally color corrected. All lasers and lightsabers remade by xxtelecine7xx.
The edit is not finished, but at this stage the runtime is just around 1.55 hrs - to - 2 hrs
- CHOSEN ONE - A Star Wars Story: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/THE-CHOSEN-ONE-A-STAR-WARS-STORY-RELEASED/id/60721
- SHADOW OF THE PAST (EpI): https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/SHADOW-OF-THE-PAST-A-Phantom-Menace-edit/id/65473
- KEEPERS OF THE PEACE (EpII): https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/KEEPERS-OF-THE-PEACE-Attack-of-the-Clones-edit/id/66617/page/1#1274835
- THE SON OF SKYWALKER (EpIV): https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-The-Son-of-Skywalker/id/69085
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsWtMZobefiq04JNuS2jFLQ?view_as=subscriber