Sign In

Recommended Editions of Disney Animated (and Partially Animated) Features — Page 41

Author
Time

I’d be interested in seeing the final result. 😃

Author
Time
 (Edited)

AntcuFaalb said:

Guys, we have a new winner for The Sword in the Stone!

The Amazon WEB-DL is 1080p, has no logo, and fewer artifacts than the best HDTVrips around; better bitrate too.

Where is this WEB-DL to be found? There are a few of them floating around on Usenet, and I’m not sure which one people think is the best. Any info would be appreciated. NeverarGreat and I are trying to track down the one mentioned earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Got it! A big thank you to those who helped us out!

Author
Time

Chewtobacca said:

AntcuFaalb said:

Guys, we have a new winner for The Sword in the Stone!

The Amazon WEB-DL is 1080p, has no logo, and fewer artifacts than the best HDTVrips around; better bitrate too.

Where is this WEB-DL to be found? There are a few of them floating around on Usenet, and I’m not sure which one people think is the best. Any info would be appreciated. NeverarGreat and I are trying to track down the one mentioned earlier in the thread.

Amazon 😉

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

Almost no difference in the picture framing or aspect ratio there.

Except for there being a slight more picture information on top in some of the full framed laserdisc captures.

Is jungle book supposed to be full frame or 16:9 ?

And why do some of the widescreen shots have like maybe 2% more image on the sides while chopping off the top.

FULLFRAME

Author
Time

Chewtobacca said:

AntcuFaalb said:

Guys, we have a new winner for The Sword in the Stone!

The Amazon WEB-DL is 1080p, has no logo, and fewer artifacts than the best HDTVrips around; better bitrate too.

Where is this WEB-DL to be found? There are a few of them floating around on Usenet, and I’m not sure which one people think is the best. Any info would be appreciated. NeverarGreat and I are trying to track down the one mentioned earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Got it! A big thank you to those who helped us out!

Are there any digital releases of the remastered “Jungle Book” transfer in its open-matte?

Author
Time

ForestGWolfy said:

skyjedi2005 said:

Almost no difference in the picture framing or aspect ratio there.

Except for there being a slight more picture information on top in some of the full framed laserdisc captures.

Is jungle book supposed to be full frame or 16:9 ?

And why do some of the widescreen shots have like maybe 2% more image on the sides while chopping off the top.

FULLFRAME

Both.
“During the Xerography era from 1961 to 1981 the original aspect ratio of Disney’s animated features is unclear. The films were animated at 1.33:1 with TV broadcast in mind but matted to widescreen for theatrical release. Most early DVD releases of these films are unmatted 1.33:1 but some newer ones are being re-matted wide (about 1.75:1). These films are denoted with “OAR?”.”

Dr. M

Author
Time

I wish they would just release them with two aspect ratios on the Blu-ray, with a 16:9 1.78:1 theatrical format version and a 4:3 1:33:1 open-matte version.

The Black Cauldron, however, should be released in a 2:20:1 aspect ratio rather than the slightly cropped 2:35:1 aspect ratio it has on iTunes.

Also, for Disney animated movies, the ones I am really excited for a 4K Ultra HD release are the ones which premiered in 70mm (Sleeping Beauty, The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet).

I know Treasure Planet will be a 2K upscale unless Disney can find a way to re-render CAPS animation in 4K or if they scan an IMAX print in 4K (which would look inferior to even a 2K upscale since it didn’t come from the pure digital source) but Sleeping Beauty and The Black Cauldron will look amazing when they scan the original negatives in 4K and not screw up the grain.
Treasure Planet should be in it’s IMAX open matte aspect ratio of 1:66:1, just like the DVD and Blu-ray.

Sleeping Beauty should be in it’s 2:55:1 CinemaScope negative aspect ratio while The Black Cauldron should be in 2:20:1 from it’s 70mm negative.

And each film should come with it’s theatrical audio mix (4.0 for Sleeping Beauty, 5.1 for The Black Cauldron and Treasure Planet) in DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD in addition to a Dolby Atmos remix for their 4K Ultra HD releases.

And I’ve loved every pixel of it.
(Clarissa Darling, Clarissa Explains It All)

You’re so right.
(Kylo Ren, Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Someone at bluray. com said this:

“Apparently, some streaming or on demand service a while ago had a new HD Master of Make Mine Music up for a short time and it was completely uncut.”

Does anyone know anything about it? Has he/she kept this version?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

With an eye towards a v2 of Make Mine Music, a friendly 'Spleener sent me a clip of the ‘nudity’ in Make Mine Music from the Japanese laserdisc.



OMG, the colors. What the heck happened there? They are so far apart I have no idea which is correct.

And so so much dirt. (Although I think I’d hit a v2 with a de-halo filter.)
I’ll consider working on this if anyone has solid suggestions, but I’m not sure there is anything worth pulling from the source.

I can’t believe I got an analog TV/VHS source looking that good. (Btw, the VHS has colors about halfway between these two. I’ll add snaps of that if anyone is interested.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Doctor M said:

With an eye towards a v2 of Make Mine Music, a friendly 'Spleener sent me a clip of the ‘nudity’ in Make Mine Music from the Japanese laserdisc.



OMG, the colors. What the heck happened there? They are so far apart I have no idea which is correct.

And so so much dirt. (Although I think I’d hit a v2 with a de-halo filter.)
I’ll consider working on this if anyone has solid suggestions, but I’m not sure there is anything worth pulling from the source.

I can’t believe I got an analog TV/VHS source looking that good. (Btw, the VHS has colors about halfway between these two. I’ll add snaps of that if anyone is interested.

Just curious, who exactly sent you that Japanese laserdisc edition? Does he have any more Disney Japanese laserdisc editions?

Author
Time

GoboFraggle1983 said:
Just curious, who exactly sent you that Japanese laserdisc edition? Does he have any more Disney Japanese laserdisc editions?

A MySpleen user, I don’t know if (s)he is even on OT. I asked about Fantasia, and I was told there is already a restored Pastoral version on MySpleen, but no Deems.

I didn’t ask about anything else. What are you looking for?

Dr. M

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Doctor M said:

GoboFraggle1983 said:
Just curious, who exactly sent you that Japanese laserdisc edition? Does he have any more Disney Japanese laserdisc editions?

A MySpleen user, I don’t know if (s)he is even on OT. I asked about Fantasia, and I was told there is already a restored Pastoral version on MySpleen, but no Deems.

I didn’t ask about anything else. What are you looking for?

Well, in regards to Japanese laserdiscs, the following movies:
-Pinocchio (1986 edition) [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/1051s.html]
-Dumbo (any edition; there are four: 1985, 1987, 1990, and 1995)
-Alice in Wonderland (1985 or 1987 editions) [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/0015.html] [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/13028.html]
-Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree* [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/1706.html]
-Robin Hood (1990 edition) [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/1708.html]
-Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too* [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/1715.html]
-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1985 or 1987 editions) [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/0034.html] [http://www.geocities.ws/disney_laserdiscs/11025.html]

*In particular, I’ve been working on my own preservation project of the Pooh featurettes, since they were never released to DVD (apart from “Blustery Day” which was released only once as a bonus feature on the 2006 USA DVD of “Pooh’s Grand Adventure”) and only the 1977 compilation film version (“Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh”) is currently made available.

So far, I’m almost finished with “Honey Tree”. I’ve used the 2002 DVD edition as a source for most of the cartoon, restored Bruce Reitherman’s dialogue as Christopher Robin from the 1993 Storybook Classics VHS (in the “Many Adventures” compilation film, he is re-dubbed by Jon Walmsley who had also voiced him in “Blustery Day” and the film’s epilogue) and I’ve color-corrected the opening and closing titles from Molly’s laserdisc copy. I’ve also been collecting the more rare foreign dubs of said featurettes and once I’ve collected enough, all I need to do is learn how to make an MKV file so I can combine all of the audio tracks 😃

I will PM you my edit in a few minutes 😃

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hello. I was the one that sent him that. For the record I don’t have any Disney laserdiscs. I only have DVDs that were copied from some LDs. In this case I had a MMM DVD that was copied from the Japanese laserdisc. So I clipped that scene and sent it to him to see if that could be inserted into his version. I also happily retired my Japanese LD copy after discovering the Doctor M restoration. I’ll be using that MMM and the R2 UK DVD of Melody Time till Disney releases them uncensored on blu ray.

I want to add that for a recorded VHS the scenes look mighty fine.

On the topic of Fantasia, myspleen has a version that restored the Pastoral scenes but still has Deems Taylor dubbed. Sadly I can’t find anyone who can get Deems out of this laserdisc: https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/03733/1236-CS/Fantasia:-Special-Edition

I’d honestly be willing to purchase that off of ebay if anyone can help.

If Deems can be put into that restored version on myspleen, it would be the “perfect” Fantasia. Here is the description of the one on myspleen:

This was my attempt some years back at restoring the cut shots of Sunflower to Fantasia. The dual-layer DVD result as seen here incorporates those shots into the main film as taken from the original late-2000 DVD release. Full chapters, menus, bonus features, two audio commentaries and the end credits that were added for the earlier Laserdisc release are all included here. The main elements of the film – the audio tracks and 99% of the video were – if I’m recalling my work on this correctly – NOT REENCODED OR COMPRESSED in any way shape or form… thus the dual layer nature of the beast. Fantasia is one of my favorite films of all time and I wanted to keep the quality as high as possible to provide myself with something I could watch on a regular basis without being pissed off at the censorship.

UPDATE! Wow I just discovered something by accident. The 2000 UK DVD actually has original Deems Taylor intro, according to this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/11/17/fantasia-anthology

Author
Time

No, European 2000 DVD (UK included) had shortened Deems Taylor intro but with Corey Burton redub !

Somebody can send me a MP for the Uncut Fantasia of Myspleen ?

Author
Time

Tatder said:

No, European 2000 DVD (UK included) had shortened Deems Taylor intro but with Corey Burton redub !

Somebody can send me a MP for the Uncut Fantasia of Myspleen ?

Damn. You sure?

What is MP?

Go on my spleen and search “fantasia” it’s the fourth result you can’t miss it

From what I can gather it’s basically the 2000 US dvd but with the censored scenes restored.

If it had the shorter intros with Deems voice it’d be the perfect release.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah, i’m sure for the european DVD, i have it.

And MySpleen is no longer allowing new account registrations so i can’t access it…

And sorry, i meant to say PM (private message), not MP (“Message Privé”)… i’m french ^^

Author
Time

The Sleeping Beauty Widescreen LD has the original 70mm six-track audio as an AC3 track.

Author
Time

Class316 said:

UPDATE! Wow I just discovered something by accident. The 2000 UK DVD actually has original Deems Taylor intro, according to this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/11/17/fantasia-anthology

I had a Pal VHS that had the original narration but unfortunately I’ve sold it some time ago.
Although I’m one of those that always wants the original film, in Fantasia I don’t mind much because it’s the animation that counts.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Class316 said:

Hello. I was the one that sent him that. For the record I don’t have any Disney laserdiscs. I only have DVDs that were copied from some LDs. In this case I had a MMM DVD that was copied from the Japanese laserdisc. So I clipped that scene and sent it to him to see if that could be inserted into his version. I also happily retired my Japanese LD copy after discovering the Doctor M restoration. I’ll be using that MMM and the R2 UK DVD of Melody Time till Disney releases them uncensored on blu ray.

I want to add that for a recorded VHS the scenes look mighty fine.

On the topic of Fantasia, myspleen has a version that restored the Pastoral scenes but still has Deems Taylor dubbed. Sadly I can’t find anyone who can get Deems out of this laserdisc: https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/03733/1236-CS/Fantasia:-Special-Edition

I’d honestly be willing to purchase that off of ebay if anyone can help.

If Deems can be put into that restored version on myspleen, it would be the “perfect” Fantasia. Here is the description of the one on myspleen:

This was my attempt some years back at restoring the cut shots of Sunflower to Fantasia. The dual-layer DVD result as seen here incorporates those shots into the main film as taken from the original late-2000 DVD release. Full chapters, menus, bonus features, two audio commentaries and the end credits that were added for the earlier Laserdisc release are all included here. The main elements of the film – the audio tracks and 99% of the video were – if I’m recalling my work on this correctly – NOT REENCODED OR COMPRESSED in any way shape or form… thus the dual layer nature of the beast. Fantasia is one of my favorite films of all time and I wanted to keep the quality as high as possible to provide myself with something I could watch on a regular basis without being pissed off at the censorship.

UPDATE! Wow I just discovered something by accident. The 2000 UK DVD actually has original Deems Taylor intro, according to this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/11/17/fantasia-anthology

I can record/encode it from the Laserdisc if you’re interested. But I do not currently own the LD myself.

Author
Time

I’m quite interested in this. 😃.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version. Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night. “Stay Phrosty” - Lemar Kentell, my other half.