Sign In

Recommendations for Legends (old EU) books, comics, etc. — Page 2

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

captainsolo said:

The later solo trilogy is pretty fun, and the Lando novels are good old fashioned sci-fi.

By the “later Solo trilogy” I’m assuming that you are referring to the books by A. C. Crispin?

(Aren’t they also the books that tried to explain the whole Kessel run in 12 parsecs thing by having the Falcon go near a black hole, or something like that? I always found that explanation really silly, but of course that doesn’t necessarily mean that the stories are bad. I’ve just read very polarized opinions about that trilogy.)

Yes I was referring to those. They’re a little coincidental in trying to tie some things in but otherwise fun reads.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Has anyone read the Zahn novel Outbound Flight? I know I stated in my first post that I wasn’t interested in post-PT novels, but having read the Hand of Thrawn I’m now kind of curious about what Zahn had in mind when describing Thrawn’s backstory. I’m a bit skeptical though as it lists Obi-Wan and Anakin as characters, but I don’t know how important they are to the story.

Would anyone recommend this book, or is it a post-PT retconned mess like a lot of stories from the early 2000’s were?
(I’ve already had some issues with how convoluted Hand of Thrawn was, but a lot of that I imagine would have been easier to ignore if the duology hadn’t been so damn long.)

Zahn also wrote a book in 2004 called Survivor’s Quest which I know absolutely nothing about, but it has Luke, Mara and Thrawn on the cover, so I am a little bit intrigued.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

timdiggerm said:

I see you’ve already got The Han Solo Adventures, so I will go ahead and recommend the The Lando Calrissian Adventures, as long as you don’t mind really weird things. My favorite part is when Lando is transformed into a giant inside a subterranean pyramid.

Weird’s fine with me.

(Good timing also, as I bought a collection of the Lando Adventures novels just about a week ago.)

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ZkinandBonez said:

Has anyone read the Zahn novel Outbound Flight? I know I stated in my first post that I wasn’t interested in post-PT novels, but having read the Hand of Thrawn I’m now kind of curious about what Zahn had in mind when describing Thrawn’s backstory. I’m a bit skeptical though as it lists Obi-Wan and Anakin as characters, but I don’t know how important they are to the story.

Would anyone recommend this book, or is it a post-PT retconned mess like a lot of stories from the early 2000’s were?
(I’ve already had some issues with how convoluted Hand of Thrawn was, but a lot of that I imagine would have been easier to ignore if the duology hadn’t been so damn long.)

Zahn also wrote a book in 2004 called Survivor’s Quest which I know absolutely nothing about, but it has Luke, Mara and Thrawn on the cover, so I am a little bit intrigued.

I never got far into Outbound Flight, but I do recall that Anakin and Obi-Wan are featured prominently – at least early in the book.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

ZkinandBonez said:

Has anyone read the Zahn novel Outbound Flight? I know I stated in my first post that I wasn’t interested in post-PT novels, but having read the Hand of Thrawn I’m now kind of curious about what Zahn had in mind when describing Thrawn’s backstory. I’m a bit skeptical though as it lists Obi-Wan and Anakin as characters, but I don’t know how important they are to the story.

Would anyone recommend this book, or is it a post-PT retconned mess like a lot of stories from the early 2000’s were?
(I’ve already had some issues with how convoluted Hand of Thrawn was, but a lot of that I imagine would have been easier to ignore if the duology hadn’t been so damn long.)

Zahn also wrote a book in 2004 called Survivor’s Quest which I know absolutely nothing about, but it has Luke, Mara and Thrawn on the cover, so I am a little bit intrigued.

I never got far into Outbound Flight, but I do recall that Anakin and Obi-Wan are featured prominently – at least early in the book.

If I remember correctly, they were supposed to go on it but ended up not. I feel like they were included to sell the book alongside the PT.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

Don’t think anyone mentioned it yet, but for video games with a cool story (and fantastic gameplay!), X-Wing Alliance is right up there with the Jedi Knight games in my book. You’re a pilot in a family who owns a little space station and gets involved with the rebellion just after the battle of Hoth. Oh man I have so many good memories of that game. And it also had a VERY OT feel with not a hint of prequel crap despite coming out the same year as TPM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing_Alliance

Author
Time

I always loved the Rogue Squadron game for N64. I played the hell out of it, and ended up getting all the Gold Medals. The only PT influence was the Naboo Fighter they hid and released the code when TPM came out.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

The Rogue Squadron games were neat with some great ideas, but I always HATED the control system. Give me true three dimensional flight where I can loop or roll upside down without everything getting totally screwed up. They didn’t let you control it like an actual flying vehicle but more of a “turn left or right, elevate up or down”. But don’t dare try any actual aerobatic maneuvers like an Immelmann, split-s, loop, or barrel roll. I think that’s why I always liked the X-wing game series so much more.

Author
Time

I can’t do a barrel roll without an anthropomorphic rabbit telling me to do it.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time
 (Edited)

lovelikewinter said:

I can’t do a barrel roll without an anthropomorphic rabbit telling me to do it.

Jaxxon?

(Come to think of it, a Star Fox-esque SW game with old Marvel era SW characters would probably have been a lot of fun.)

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time

I was very surprised at how good the story in X-Wing: Alliance was. Even better, you can buy it from GOG or Steam, and then upgrade the graphics with the shockingly long-lived XWA Upgrade Project.

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

I was very surprised at how good the story in X-Wing: Alliance was. Even better, you can buy it from GOG or Steam, and then upgrade the graphics with the shockingly long-lived XWA Upgrade Project.

Whoa, thanks for the point to the upgrade. Definitely how I’ll play it when I get around to it.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

I came across a set of individual Tales of the Jedi issues at a thrift store a couple of months ago, but each arc was rather frustratingly missing one issue.

Author
Time

^Exactly why I avoid buying single issues of SW comics unless they happen to be one-shots.

Author
Time

TPBs are so handy!

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

ZkinandBonez said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

So I’ve been googling the Tales of the Jedi series, and the only proper collections I could find were these two omnibuses;

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Omnibus:_Tales_of_the_Jedi,_Volume_1

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Omnibus:_Tales_of_the_Jedi,_Volume_2

As far as I can tell this should be all of them.

Turns out that these two omnibuses are ridiculously hard to get a hold of (for a sane price anyway). So I’m currently trying to find the smaller collections from the 90’s which seem to be considerably more reasonably priced.

However, I’m getting a little bit confused about the publication dates. Were the Tales of the Jedi series released out of order? This list jumps back and forth in terms of publication dates. Does this list represent the correct reading order?

I found this collection of five issues for a reasonable price and figured I might start here since it has the earliest publication date, but as it’s in the middle of the list I was wondering if that would cause some confusion later on?

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just go by publication order. Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire are prequels to the other TOTJ arcs, anyway; they flesh out some of the backstory, but they aren’t needed to follow the storylines.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Tales of the Jedi comics were released in order with one exception: Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire were released in between The Sith War and Redemption, but take place 1000 years before the rest of Tales of the Jedi. I recommend reading them in publication order until you finish Dark Lords of the Sith, the reason being that Dark Lords of the Sith is where the events and characters of Golden Age and Fall of are connected to the rest of Tales of the Jedi. Once you finish Dark Lords of the Sith, you’re set to read Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire.

By the way, if you liked Dark Empire, I think you’ll like most of Tales of the Jedi.

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

I received a few EU books in the mail recently, and I’ve been going through them slowly but surely (I got four assorted books to begin with, but then found myself enjoying Survivor’s Quest so much that I ordered Outbound Flight). But since then, I’ve heard a lot of praise for I, Jedi, and am wondering, is it understandable if I don’t read Jedi Academy first (I do plan on reading it sometime, but it isn’t on the top of my priorities), and is it good at all?

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time

LuckyGungan2001 said:

I’ve heard a lot of praise for I, Jedi, and am wondering, is it understandable if I don’t read Jedi Academy first

I believe it is.

and is it good at all?

Same answer as above.

Author
Time

Cool. I’ll get on to reading it in the near-ish future.

Not enough people read the EU.