Sign In

Rangers Of The New Republic (live action series) - general discussion thread (Cancelled) — Page 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sure, this series cancellation makes perfect sense under the circumstances (though of course there’s a lot to say about the circumstances as well). Overall though, I think a lot of fans are just annoyed by all the uncertainty. Rangers makes sense, but it is also the latest of several cancelled or indefinitely delayed projects in just the past few years.

I think Lucasfilm is trying a bit too hard to imitate the MCU/Kevin Feige model of planning everything years in advance, despite the fact that there clearly hasn’t been much of a grand plan (TROS is definitely proof of that). Sure the MCU has had failed projects too, but nothing like what we’ve seen with SW in just the last five to six years, so I think it’s completely fair for fans to be a bit concerned/annoyed by the seeming indecisiveness of it all.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Marvel does have the benefit of a multitude of source material to cherry pick the best from, but even they are not entirely immune. They parted ways with Edgar Wright over differences regarding Ant-Man, and it looks like they currently have drama surrounding their sequel to Black Panther.

There was a problem with Rogue One, but they dealt with it and I love how it turned out. Benioff and Weiss turned out to be not as creative when George R.R. Martin couldn’t keep the source material coming at the same pace as the show. I wish them well and will be interested in what they end up making for Netflix. I do think the problems with Solo were allowed to drag on for too long. That’s a problem that should have been corrected sooner and could have saved them some money. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why they’re quicker to move on now.

I know they’ve said Rian Johnson, Taika Waititi, and Kevin Feige are all working on projects, but nothing is guaranteed. I don’t think Lucasfilm has been over-hyping anything, just that fans are so eager to know what’s coming next, we get excited over just the idea of something. Also nothing seems to make as good of click-bait material as Star Wars pseudo-news.

Right now we have three Star Wars series ready to go (Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Andor), and they’re currently making Ahsoka and a third season of The Mandalorian. I’m not sure what’s next for the big screen, but looks like we’ll have plenty to look forward to until then.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That’s the thing, though. The reason they announce these projects so early is specifically to drum up fan hype (and to make the brand look appealing to shareholders). That’s why they announced Rian Johnson’s trilogy before TLJ came out, and why they announced Benioff and Weiss’s trilogy before Game of Thrones Season 8 came out (then quietly shelved it after the reaction to season 8). They were jumping the gun to make these grand statements about their future movie plans, and in the case of Benioff and Weiss, it looked they were just trying to grab onto the Game of Thrones hype train at the time, not actually considering whether those two were even the right fit for Star Wars. (Which they definitely aren’t.)

As for Rogue One, I still wonder whether the reshoots actually made the movie better or worse. With Solo, I’m almost certain they made it worse. Both films were meant to be more experimental and push out of the genre confines of what a Star Wars movie could be. But it seems Lucasfilm got cold feet and wanted to rein those projects in and make them more conventionally Star Wars. In a way, the “anthology film” concept has been repurposed into those Disney+ series, which I think is a good move. I’ll give them credit for that. That allows for more experimentation and takes away the pressure of box office performance.

Marvel does have plenty of source material, but so does Star Wars. Since Marvel seems like more of a tight ship overall, I’d say the best comparison to Star Wars would be the DC movies. DC is really in a similar predicament of just trying things out, cancelling things often, and not being sure of what direction to take going forward beyond just “People liked that character. Let’s give them more of that character.”

But, of course, the main problem here isn’t the cancellations themselves. It’s the premature announcements that are designed to drum up hype, then never go anywhere.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rodney-2187 said:

Marvel does have the benefit of a multitude of source material to cherry pick the best from, but even they are not entirely immune. They parted ways with Edgar Wright over differences regarding Ant-Man, and it looks like they currently have drama surrounding their sequel to Black Panther.

There was a problem with Rogue One, but they dealt with it and I love how it turned out. Benioff and Weiss turned out to be not as creative when George R.R. Martin couldn’t keep the source material coming at the same pace as the show. I wish them well and will be interested in what they end up making for Netflix. I do think the problems with Solo were allowed to drag on for too long. That’s a problem that should have been corrected sooner and could have saved them some money. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why they’re quicker to move on now.

I know they’ve said Rian Johnson, Taika Waititi, and Kevin Feige are all working on projects, but nothing is guaranteed. I don’t think Lucasfilm has been over-hyping anything, just that fans are so eager to know what’s coming next, we get excited over just the idea of something. Also nothing seems to make as good of click-bait material as Star Wars pseudo-news.

Right now we have three Star Wars series ready to go (Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Andor), and they’re currently making Ahsoka and a third season of The Mandalorian. I’m not sure what’s next for the big screen, but looks like we’ll have plenty to look forward to until then.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I think maybe we’re reacting to different fan reactions to this cancellation though. The video I linked to probably sounded angrier in the title than what was actually expressed in the video, which was only mild frustration at the uncertainty of the new shows and movies.

PS. I did say that the MCU had had a few creative differences throughout the years, but the way it had been done has for the most part been handled differently than the way Lucasfilm have IMO.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Servii said:

The reason they announce these projects so early is specifically to drum up fan hype (and to make the brand look appealing to shareholders).

I’m sure that’s backfiring right now! It does seem a bit of a mess. I will say though, the TV shows that have been announced seem much safer than the movies - Rangers is perhaps the exception because Carano got fired, but it wasn’t due to creative issues like some other troubled productions.

ZkinandBonez said:

The video I linked to probably sounded angrier in the title than what was actually expressed in the video, which was only mild frustration at the uncertainty of the new shows and movies.

Eckhartsladder is usually a bit like that I find. Often quite clickbaity titles, but in the video itself he’s really chilled out. I’m used to that now and love his content.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I find very few youtube channels I enjoy listening too regarding Star Wars. Star Wars Explained is one, and sometimes Hello Greedo. The rest are tiresome and I refuse to reward their click-bait efforts.

Author
Time

Rodney-2187 said:

I find very few youtube channels I enjoy listening too regarding Star Wars. Star Wars Explained is one, and sometimes Hello Greedo. The rest are tiresome and I refuse to reward their click-bait efforts.

Star Wars Explained and Eckhartsladder are my regular two. Hello Greedo and AT-AT Chat are definitely good as well but I don’t watch their videos as much as I’d like to.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

Rodney-2187 said:

I find very few youtube channels I enjoy listening too regarding Star Wars. Star Wars Explained is one, and sometimes Hello Greedo. The rest are tiresome and I refuse to reward their click-bait efforts.

Click-bait titles are unfortunately often a necessity for YouTubers to stay afloat, plus compared to a lot of the nonsense that is on YT these days I’d say that Eckhardladder’s titles are quite mild. I sometimes forget that I often automatically filter through the hyperbole in titles based on my knowledge the YouTubers.

Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I heard Star Wars Explained have named their Book of Boba Fett after show “The Book Report.” That sounds fun. I miss Andi and Anthony on The Star Wars Show, no offense to Kristin Baver.

Author
Time

Rodney-2187 said:

I miss Andi and Anthony on The Star Wars Show, no offense to Kristin Baver.

Agreed, they had such great chemistry together. Always enjoyed those videos and I have very fond memories of watching Andi host Rebels Recon after every episode when I was younger. I’d love to meet and thank her some day.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

jedi_bendu said:

Rodney-2187 said:

I miss Andi and Anthony on The Star Wars Show, no offense to Kristin Baver.

Agreed, they had such great chemistry together. Always enjoyed those videos and I have very fond memories of watching Andi host Rebels Recon after every episode when I was younger. I’d love to meet and thank her some day.

I just knew they’d be back to do a similar segment for The Bad Batch, but it didn’t happen.

Author
Time

Rodney-2187 said:

I find very few youtube channels I enjoy listening too regarding Star Wars. Star Wars Explained is one, and sometimes Hello Greedo. The rest are tiresome and I refuse to reward their click-bait efforts.

Have you tried Mr. Sunday Movies? Pure charisma and good laughs all around, never too serious. Obviously not a Star Wars centric channel but they do cover it.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Rodney-2187 said:

I find very few youtube channels I enjoy listening too regarding Star Wars. Star Wars Explained is one, and sometimes Hello Greedo. The rest are tiresome and I refuse to reward their click-bait efforts.

Have you tried Mr. Sunday Movies? Pure charisma and good laughs all around, never too serious. Obviously not a Star Wars centric channel but they do cover it.

Not my style of humor. I also watch Always Believe, Geek Buddies, Bitter Asian Dude, and pReviewe’d.