Sign In

**RUMOR** Original theatrical cut of the OT to be released on blu ray!! — Page 8

Author
Time
 (Edited)

walking_carpet said:

imperialscum said:

riddler95 said:

Robert Harris would do anything he could to perfectly color correct the Original Theatrical Versions to match exactly how they looked when they were originally released in 1977, 1980, and 1983.

Unlike digital colour record where everything is clearly defined (RGB, HSV etc.), in case of analogue medium (i.e. film) colour is a very complex matter. "How they looked when they were originally released" is big variable and is really impossible to determine.

 can someone explain this further?  i remember when i saw the making of the superman II donner cut, they had all these original production notes of everything that was shot with specific details.  and I know that things like lens type, shutter speed, tracking, etc are also noted - wouldnt the same thing be done for color timing?  even though it was analog, wouldnt they have various color 'gradients' defined by some sort of numbering or naming convention so you dont have to guess? 

I guess they would but those same settings will affect the negative completely differently based on how much it has faded. Also it would depend on not only the exact stock, but the exact batch of that stock you were printing on and so on - there's a huge wiggle room and too many variables, where these optical analog processes were involved, for these production notes to give you any 100% definite answers.

I guess if I were to make an analogy, its kind of like when you get new tile installed - if something were to happen, they go back to the original dye lot so a replacement doesnt mismatch.

is that not the case or it doesnt work that way?

That's actually a pretty good analogy - you do that and the tiles will still be a little different, because your old ones have changed a bit over time, or the new batch didn't come out looking perfectly the same due to different unpredictable factors - it happens all the time. Or as another example, my dad had a custom paintjob on his car, then my mum crashed it and when he went to the paint shop to have the replaced parts painted and asked for that same paint (he knew the number and everything) the new paint-job still didn't quite match the old one.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:


I can't imagine them letting Lucas be involved at all. They know how it went last time he was involved.

Damn, I really do hope you're right and Disney are wise enough to see that.

I would not be at all surprised if GL was the one pushing for the punchier/more contrasty/more saturated/digital looks of the blu-ray releases we currently have, crushing the blacks and blowing out highlights in the process, seems to fit with his 'more intense' methodology.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just to go back a few posts I just find it funny how this is a site dedicated to preserving the original versions and were whining about the 1997 versions. Can't please 'em all I guess. Anyways if Spielberg didn't even package both E.T.'s on BluRay I can't see Lucasfilm packaging both the original and SE SW's film's but that's just me.

Author
Time

I certainly think it would be a good thing, if the '97SE was also restored an released - I wouldn't be too disappointed if it isn't but I do think it would be good - like with Blade Runner - did the release really need to contain the DC, when the FC is almost the same cut? Well, yes, because it's similar but not quite the same and it's an important piece of the films evolution.

Author
Time

Oh yeah I agree it should for preservation sake. I definitely prefer '97 SE over '04 and '11 SE's as I know a lot of you do as well. Going back to the Blade Runner theory perhaps they should just release a deluxe box set for ANH with all the cuts ('77, '81, '97, etc.) while smaller sets can be made for ESB and ROTJ.

Author
Time

I hate the 97 version but they might as well include it because any future version is going to be using it as the base, they'll have a great quality version of it before they can go any further, so why not slap it on a disc.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't think Lucasfilm will ever release any versions but the original and the current version. I think this because it's much easier to just have two versions, the original, and the director's cut. Disney does not want any of their customers to be confused about which version to watch, especially when the '97 and '11 versions are pretty much the same, the newest ones just have more prequel crap shoved into them, and I think 99% of people who like the Special Editions don't mind that anyway. As for the people who just put up with the SE's because it's their only option, I'd assume they would rather just watch the original versions than a more dated version of the SE. There is LITERALLY no market for it, and there is a higher chance of seeing the Holiday Special released than there is the 97 Special Edition. Even if they do release some 300 dollar comprehensive set with everything Star Wars related in it I'd still be surprised if it's included, although I will admit that on the off chance it is released, it will only be released in a set like that. 

The Person in Question

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

I don't think Lucasfilm will ever release any versions but the original and the current version.

I have a hard time believing that the '11 versions are the final versions. NOBODY likes Vader saying no, Han shooting second, Hayden as Anakin's ghost, etc. If there's any versions that there's no market for, it's the '11 versions.

Author
Time

Believe it or not... some people love those changes you mentioned, specifically Vader's "Nooo" in ROTJ since it "mirrors" ROTS.  I still think Vader is burping in ROTJ rather than saying no.

Author
Time

darklordoftech said:

moviefreakedmind said:

I don't think Lucasfilm will ever release any versions but the original and the current version.

I have a hard time believing that the '11 versions are the final versions. NOBODY likes Vader saying no, Han shooting second, Hayden as Anakin's ghost, etc. If there's any versions that there's no market for, it's the '11 versions.

 You'd be surprised at the amount of people who actually like Hayden's ghost.

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. ~ Spock

Author
Time

Handman said:

darklordoftech said:

moviefreakedmind said:

I don't think Lucasfilm will ever release any versions but the original and the current version.

I have a hard time believing that the '11 versions are the final versions. NOBODY likes Vader saying no, Han shooting second, Hayden as Anakin's ghost, etc. If there's any versions that there's no market for, it's the '11 versions.

 You'd be surprised at the amount of people who actually like Hayden's ghost.

Yes I was surprised. Apparently one lives in Wisconsin and the other in Stuttgart.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ok, I'll admit that I'd be pretty surprised if Vader's "NOOOO" or R2's extra rocks make it into the next "Special Edition" release, or even Han shooting second (and maaaybe Jedi Rocks if we're lucky) especially since Vader's "NO" and Hayden Christiansen would have to be re-added if they're 4K restoring the 97 negative. The ONLY people who like those changes are crazy TFN people who only like them because they're in a Star Wars movie, and if anyone but Lucas added them in they'd hate those changes too. Not to mention, people who are like that would buy the new release anyway, so really it'd be no loss for Disney. What I meant by "current version" was whatever version with the changes is released next, alongside the originals. 

The Person in Question

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

Ok, I'll admit that I'd be pretty surprised if Vader's "NOOOO" or R2's extra rocks make it into the next "Special Edition" release, or even Han shooting second (and maaaybe Jedi Rocks if we're lucky) especially since Vader's "NO" and Hayden Christiansen would have to be re-added if they're 4K restoring the 97 negative. The ONLY people who like those changes are crazy TFN people who only like them because they're in a Star Wars movie, and if anyone but Lucas added them in they'd hate those changes too. Not to mention, people who are like that would buy the new release anyway, so really it'd be no loss for Disney. What I meant by "current version" was whatever version with the changes is released next, alongside the originals. 

Gotcha. That makes sense, and it just so happens that I was about to post about the 4K issue.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

moviefreakedmind said:

especially when the '97 and '11 versions are pretty much the same, the newest ones just have more prequel crap shoved into them

That is like saying 1997 and theatrical are pretty much the same.

真実

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

Ok, I'll admit that I'd be pretty surprised if Vader's "NOOOO" or R2's extra rocks make it into the next "Special Edition" release, or even Han shooting second (and maaaybe Jedi Rocks if we're lucky) especially since Vader's "NO" and Hayden Christiansen would have to be re-added if they're 4K restoring the 97 negative.

What happened to the "they will NEVER release 1997"? :)

If you read darklordoftech arguments about 4k from the beginning you wouldn't need to make 3 posts about how certain you are that 1997 will never be release again.

真実

Author
Time

imperialscum said:

moviefreakedmind said:

especially when the '97 and '11 versions are pretty much the same, the newest ones just have more prequel crap shoved into them

That is like saying 1997 and theatrical are pretty much the same.

 Well considering both '97 and '11 are shit and '77/'80/'83 are not...

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

imperialscum said:

moviefreakedmind said:

especially when the '97 and '11 versions are pretty much the same, the newest ones just have more prequel crap shoved into them

That is like saying 1997 and theatrical are pretty much the same.

 Well considering both '97 and '11 are shit and '77/'80/'83 are not...

Ok.

真実

Author
Time
 (Edited)

imperialscum said:

moviefreakedmind said:

Ok, I'll admit that I'd be pretty surprised if Vader's "NOOOO" or R2's extra rocks make it into the next "Special Edition" release, or even Han shooting second (and maaaybe Jedi Rocks if we're lucky) especially since Vader's "NO" and Hayden Christiansen would have to be re-added if they're 4K restoring the 97 negative.

What happened to the "they will NEVER release 1997"? :)

If you read darklordoftech arguments about 4k from the beginning you wouldn't need to make 3 posts about how certain you are that 1997 will never be release again.

 What? I haven't changed my mind. If anything I just said they'll revert back to '04 content-wise because I don't think they'll add the extra rocks in front of R2 because those are completely minute and non-sensical. I think they'll keep the """official""" versions of the films as close to the 2011's as possible since that is the director's true vision, just maybe without some of the really weird stuff like Vader screaming "NOOO" or the extra rocks. I also stand by my previous statement that Disney will not want Star Wars to be cluttered with 4 different versions because that'll confuse customers, they're probably going to keep releasing the current SE's as the director's "Final Cuts" with the originals along side them as well. Having the director's cut and the originals is one thing, but it becomes cluttered when you have three different but nearly identical Special Editions. And no, saying the 97 and 11 SE's are identical is not the same as comparing the SE to the original; they're the same, just with updated Jabba and new prequel references (and without the scream in Empire).

The Person in Question

Author
Time

How about Han shooting first + 04 Jabba + Shaw as Anakin's ghost?

Author
Time

I wouldn't be completely shocked if Han shoots first since that's so notorious, but sadly I have little hope for seeing Shaw's ghost... :\

The Person in Question

Author
Time

One thing I'm stunned was never changed was Ben and Vaders sabers switching colors in ANH. Sure they're split second but hey if Lucas feels its necessary to put rocks in front of R2 I don't see why this wouldn't be changed.

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

sadly I have little hope for seeing Shaw's ghost... :\

Why is that?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:

moviefreakedmind said:

sadly I have little hope for seeing Shaw's ghost... :\

Why is that?

 Just intuition I guess; it's hard to put into words. It's kind of because, while it's completely atrocious to people like us, to the non-fan (or TFN guy) the Hayden change isn't non-sensical in the same way that Greedo shooting or the extra rocks are.

I'd love to be proven wrong though!

The Person in Question

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

darklordoftech said:

moviefreakedmind said:

sadly I have little hope for seeing Shaw's ghost... :\

Why is that?

 Just intuition I guess; it's hard to put into words. It's kind of because, while it's completely atrocious to people like us, to the non-fan (or TFN guy) the Hayden change isn't non-sensical in the same way that Greedo shooting or the extra rocks are.

I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Gotcha, although I have the opposite intuition and I think that it is non-sensical. What's the point of making a ghost look younger?