So it turns out my first capture was actually better than the second. Out of curiosity I started going through the process of looking for duplicate frames in that one and was finding fewer right from the start, so I’m going to use that as the basis of the project.
After every 30 frames of analysis I’m checking to make sure I have 24 frames left once the duplicates have been removed, and if not I’m referencing it against capture 2 to locate the missing frame(s).
I’ve only done 15 seconds of the clip so far and have only had to locate 3 missing frames, which I’ve found successfully. If there are any frames missing from both captures I’ll do a third one to try to pick them up.
Bear with me as this is clearly going to take a while, but hopefully we’ll end up with a really nice version.
Edit: 33 seconds of the clip checked and I have 791 individual frames - all present and correct so far. I probably won’t have time to do any more until tomorrow.
Edit: 66 seconds checked and I’m one frame missing, but I know exactly where it should be so I’ll re-capture that section over and over until I get it.
Edit: 100 seconds checked and now I’m three frames missing. I still know exactly where those frames should be so I’m quite happy that I’ll find them on a subsequent capture.
I hope these updates aren’t too boring/annoying, I just thought some of you might like to know how it’s going.
Edit: I’ve finished the frame by frame check of both captures, and by my reckoning I’m missing just four frames. I’m now going to do another couple of captures of the middle section of the clip where the missing frames are in the hope that they’ll get picked up.