Sign In

RELEASED: "Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Special Longer Version)" — Page 31

Author
Time

Just chiming in to say that I have unopened copies of all the widescreen VHS tapes, including the Special Longer Version (but not the regular, shorter cut). I’d be willing to pop those suckers open if you’d like.

“You don’t really mean you’ll kill me, do you?” - Juror 8
“Silence, Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!” - Calvin “Marty” Klein

Author
Time

Colson said:

Just chiming in to say that I have unopened copies of all the widescreen VHS tapes, including the Special Longer Version (but not the regular, shorter cut). I’d be willing to pop those suckers open if you’d like.

You’ve got the SLV in widescreen on VHS? I thought it was only ever released in P&S on home video.

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

To my knowledge (particularly after buying the incorrectly labelled box set) the only version of the SLV that got a release in Australia was a pan n scan 4:3 version. I know that I sold the vhs tape eventually for that very reason…which was pretty dumb in hindsight! Isn’t the only “real” SLV version a 4:3 version anyway, because it would have been put together for tv back then…and there were no widescreen beauties around back then! All confusing, isn’t it?

Author
Time

Andcon2217 said:

To my knowledge (particularly after buying the incorrectly labelled box set) the only version of the SLV that got a release in Australia was a pan n scan 4:3 version. I know that I sold the vhs tape eventually for that very reason…which was pretty dumb in hindsight! Isn’t the only “real” SLV version a 4:3 version anyway, because it would have been put together for tv back then…and there were no widescreen beauties around back then! All confusing, isn’t it?

Yeah, ST: TMP (SLV) has never been commercially released on home video in widescreen. I also had the widescreen PAL VHS box set and it contained the the theatrical version of ST: TMP - which was the first time I’d ever seen that cut and I wasn’t impressed at all. I understood why it received a critical thumbs down back in '79. The SLV is so much better, although it’s worth noting that Robert Wise had stated that if he’d wielded artistic control, ala Lucas, both the SLV and the theatrical release wouldn’t exist.

On a side note, films did make it onto TV and early home video occasionally in widescreen during the 80s. The BBC aired 2001 in its original aspect ratio and Woody Allen insisted that Manhattan be shown on TV and home video in 16:9. Amarcord and Monty Python’s …Holy Grail received widescreen releases on CED.

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

JayArgonaut said:

Colson said:

Just chiming in to say that I have unopened copies of all the widescreen VHS tapes, including the Special Longer Version (but not the regular, shorter cut). I’d be willing to pop those suckers open if you’d like.

You’ve got the SLV in widescreen on VHS? I thought it was only ever released in P&S on home video.

You are absolutely right, my mistake. For some reason I remembered them being widescreen.

“You don’t really mean you’ll kill me, do you?” - Juror 8
“Silence, Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!” - Calvin “Marty” Klein

Author
Time

I actually have a VHS copy of ST:TMP Director’s Cut … weird hey? It’s nice for nostalgia, that’s for sure.

😃

Author
Time

Funny. I thought it was released ONLY on DVD

Author
Time

Colson said:

JayArgonaut said:

Colson said:

Just chiming in to say that I have unopened copies of all the widescreen VHS tapes, including the Special Longer Version (but not the regular, shorter cut). I’d be willing to pop those suckers open if you’d like.

You’ve got the SLV in widescreen on VHS? I thought it was only ever released in P&S on home video.

You are absolutely right, my mistake. For some reason I remembered them being widescreen.

Wishful thinking perhaps? 😃

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

This would be great to put in with the Blu-ray release which I’d also have the Director’s Edition DVDs included. Grabbed the .torrent file from MySpleen.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RayRogers said:

This would be great to put in with the Blu-ray release which I’d also have the Director’s Edition DVDs included. Grabbed the .torrent file from MySpleen.

When I cap my VHS I will pm a mod about the upload but since it is OOP AND not in the release chute anytime soon for Bluray, I don’t see an issue uploading it once I’m ready to.

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

RayRogers said:

This would be great to put in with the Blu-ray release which I’d also have the Director’s Edition DVDs included. Grabbed the .torrent file from MySpleen.

When I cap my VHS I will pm a mod about the upload but since it is OOP AND not in the release chute anytime soon for Bluray, I don’t see an issue uploading it once I’m ready to.

All I’d need to do then is just buy more Multi-Disc cases. Because I’d also have the OST CD release with it too. So far it’d be a grand total of 4-5 discs? Disc 1 - TMP Blu from Paramount, Disc 2 & 3 - TMP Director’s Edition DVD release, Disc 4 - TMP (Special Longer Version) Widescreen Custom DVD, and Disc 5 - OST CD.
For the VHS-to-DVD of the Special Longer Version, I’m expecting a DVD-DL. But it’d be best if it were the LD, depending on whichever captures in higher quality.

Author
Time

Does anyone have an NTSC copy of the Director’s Edition? Living in the PAL region myself, I would love if someone, anyone could share a VIDEO_TS or ISO of the film. It’s impossible to find anywhere, especially with seeders.

Author
Time

Shalashaska said:

Does anyone have an NTSC copy of the Director’s Edition? Living in the PAL region myself, I would love if someone, anyone could share a VIDEO_TS or ISO of the film. It’s impossible to find anywhere, especially with seeders.

Why do you need the NTSC version if you’re in the PAL region? The PAL is on rutracker, and it should be higher resolution, right? Amazon and iTunes have digital versions for sale that you could probably go for. Not sure what the actual resolution and framerate are on the digital ones, though.

Author
Time

towne32 said:

Shalashaska said:

Does anyone have an NTSC copy of the Director’s Edition? Living in the PAL region myself, I would love if someone, anyone could share a VIDEO_TS or ISO of the film. It’s impossible to find anywhere, especially with seeders.

Why do you need the NTSC version if you’re in the PAL region? The PAL is on rutracker, and it should be higher resolution, right? Amazon and iTunes have digital versions for sale that you could probably go for. Not sure what the actual resolution and framerate are on the digital ones, though.

I can’t stand the 4% speed-up on PAL DVDs, so if the NTSC version is available, I’ll go for that.

Author
Time

I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to things like this. So they don’t go from the 23.976 fps master to 25 fps. They go from 23.976 to 29.97 to 25?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m also pretty sure the PAL ISO I have is missing some picture on the left and right, has thin black bars for some odd reason, and this has happened on two different downloads.

Author
Time

They can do any number of things transferring to PAL. The most common is 24fps master to 25fps with speedup to the audio track (and the pitch rises with it).

I’ve seen weird things like 24 to 29.97 to 25 or 24 to 25 with blended fields (which yields a blurry mess of interlaced material, but correct play speed and audio).

Dr. M

Author
Time

Shalashaska said:

Does anyone have an NTSC copy of the Director’s Edition? Living in the PAL region myself, I would love if someone, anyone could share a VIDEO_TS or ISO of the film. It’s impossible to find anywhere, especially with seeders.

I see you’ve only recently joined here. My suggestion to you is to slow down a bit. Asking for what you did openly isn’t really something that is encouraged due to legal reasons. As for the DC of TMP, I will be uploading my VHS cap of it soon.

I will update this post when it’s going.

Author
Time

JayArgonaut said:

Colson said:

Just chiming in to say that I have unopened copies of all the widescreen VHS tapes, including the Special Longer Version (but not the regular, shorter cut). I’d be willing to pop those suckers open if you’d like.

You’ve got the SLV in widescreen on VHS? I thought it was only ever released in P&S on home video.

I have the Special Collector’s Series VHS, the one with the Black cover for the 75th Anniversary, and I just got done capping it this evening. It is the same as the LD version of it but I certainly like the way the VHS picture looks.

Author
Time

I have the official Blu-ray (23.976) and the official PAL Director’s cut DVD.
The DVD is just sped up from 23.976->25fps and the DVD is cropped slightly differently than the Blu-ray, but I never noticed it till now and I doubt the cropping is different on the NTSC DVD

Example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKD26OOoT8

Author
Time

pittrek said:

I have the official Blu-ray (23.976) and the official PAL Director’s cut DVD.
The DVD is just sped up from 23.976->25fps and the DVD is cropped slightly differently than the Blu-ray, but I never noticed it till now and I doubt the cropping is different on the NTSC DVD

Example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKD26OOoT8

I too, have the Theatrical Bluray, and the NTSC Director’s Cut DVD. Both of my VHS tapes (DC & SLV) are 16x9.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RayRogers said:

Jetrell Fo said:

RayRogers said:

This would be great to put in with the Blu-ray release which I’d also have the Director’s Edition DVDs included. Grabbed the .torrent file from MySpleen.

When I cap my VHS I will pm a mod about the upload but since it is OOP AND not in the release chute anytime soon for Bluray, I don’t see an issue uploading it once I’m ready to.

All I’d need to do then is just buy more Multi-Disc cases. Because I’d also have the OST CD release with it too. So far it’d be a grand total of 4-5 discs? Disc 1 - TMP Blu from Paramount, Disc 2 & 3 - TMP Director’s Edition DVD release, Disc 4 - TMP (Special Longer Version) Widescreen Custom DVD, and Disc 5 - OST CD.
For the VHS-to-DVD of the Special Longer Version, I’m expecting a DVD-DL. But it’d be best if it were the LD, depending on whichever captures in higher quality.

'Better make it 8 discs. You’ve overlooked La-La Land’s 3-CD set of the expanded OST

It’s still in print.

Or you can condense it to 7 discs by removing the single soundtrack CD release. 😉

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

I have the Special Collector’s Series VHS, the one with the Black cover for the 75th Anniversary, and I just got done capping it this evening. It is the same as the LD version of it but I certainly like the way the VHS picture looks.

Great! 😃

Can you share some screengrabs please? I’m eager to see the results. Does it contain the black screen overture like the theatrical release? The SLV’s TV airings went straight into the opening credits.

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

alexp120 said:

RayRogers said:

Jetrell Fo said:

RayRogers said:

This would be great to put in with the Blu-ray release which I’d also have the Director’s Edition DVDs included. Grabbed the .torrent file from MySpleen.

When I cap my VHS I will pm a mod about the upload but since it is OOP AND not in the release chute anytime soon for Bluray, I don’t see an issue uploading it once I’m ready to.

All I’d need to do then is just buy more Multi-Disc cases. Because I’d also have the OST CD release with it too. So far it’d be a grand total of 4-5 discs? Disc 1 - TMP Blu from Paramount, Disc 2 & 3 - TMP Director’s Edition DVD release, Disc 4 - TMP (Special Longer Version) Widescreen Custom DVD, and Disc 5 - OST CD.
For the VHS-to-DVD of the Special Longer Version, I’m expecting a DVD-DL. But it’d be best if it were the LD, depending on whichever captures in higher quality.

'Better make it 8 discs. You’ve overlooked La-La Land’s 3-CD set of the expanded OST

It’s still in print.

Or you can condense it to 7 discs by removing the single soundtrack CD release. 😉

I have this set and the other OST’s sitting on my HD. They are lovely.