Sign In

Questions about AOTC

Author
Time
Hey all. I was just watching Attack of the Clones again today, and even after watching all the movies, there are still some questions I have about that movie and some of it still confuses me.

1) Why does the Vice Roy want Senator Amidalla dead?
2) What does Master Siphodias have to do with the clones and what was his role in the whole scheme of things? (Is he ever mentioned again in another part of the SW saga?)
3) I thought Padme was against building the army of the Republic? So why did Palpatine persuade Jar Jar to introduce the motion to give the Chancellor all the power in front of those other Senators?
4) I still think I'm missing something somewhere (I always have questions when I finish that movie), so if someone could go through a quick run through of all the events going on, that would be great (only if someone has the time to do it). The rest of the movies make sense to me, but there's always questions in my head when I finish AOTC.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Forever a Star Wars fan!
Author
Time
1) Why does the Vice Roy want Senator Amidalla dead? - she opposes the military act, which would put him out of buisness if the military creation act goes down

2) What does Master Siphodias have to do with the clones and what was his role in the whole scheme of things? (Is he ever mentioned again in another part of the SW saga?) - I wish I knew. George Lucas really failed at that plot line. Big time.

3) I thought Padme was against building the army of the Republic? So why did Palpatine persuade Jar Jar to introduce the motion to give the Chancellor all the power in front of those other Senators? - He manipulated Jar Jar. Jar Jar thought he was acting in Naboo's best interest (even though he had been working closely with Padme for years. You think he would know better...)


"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Invader Jenny
1) Why does the Vice Roy want Senator Amidalla dead? - she opposes the military act, which would put him out of buisness if the military creation act goes down

2) What does Master Siphodias have to do with the clones and what was his role in the whole scheme of things? (Is he ever mentioned again in another part of the SW saga?) - I wish I knew. George Lucas really failed at that plot line. Big time.

3) I thought Padme was against building the army of the Republic? So why did Palpatine persuade Jar Jar to introduce the motion to give the Chancellor all the power in front of those other Senators? - He manipulated Jar Jar. Jar Jar thought he was acting in Naboo's best interest (even though he had been working closely with Padme for years. You think he would know better...)


Thanks....but still got a question about the third question I had. I knew Palaptine manipulated Jar Jar, but my question is, why did he do it in front of the other Senators who KNEW Padme was against creating that army...which was the real reason behind transferring all the power to Palpatine to begin with.

BTW, Thanks for your answers, they were very helpful!
Forever a Star Wars fan!
Author
Time
Obviously we don't know *exactly* how their government worked but my guess is that *whichever* official representative makes a motion its on behalf of the planet they represent- and a motion is basically just to officially open something up for discussion meaning that even if 15% or whatever of other systems voted 'no' the systems either independently wanting military action and/or already under Palp's sway would have been enough to make the motion pass. Palps just needed someone stupid enough to have the balls to actually bring it up.

As for Siphodious (sp?) I feel it was just another case of too many names for too many superfluous characters and GL just lost track of it or it was meant to be someone else (like Dooku under a psuedonym as discussed elsewhere).
Author
Time
I've always been under the impression that he's Dooku. Isn't he supposed to be?

And wouldn't Gunray be pleased that Padme's against the military creation act? I mean, the whole premise of the act is to get an army to fight off the separatist army, of which he is a part. I figured it went back to the Phantom Menace plotline of him and the rest of the Trade Federation's trade blockade of Naboo, and the fact that Padme helped to end it.

There is no lingerie in space...

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don't exist... then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks... and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming... Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
I don't remember how the movie went, but if you read the ATOC book it makes a whole lot more sense, minus the Syfodyas part. Even in the book he can't be explained properly.

But all the love and politcal crap makes a hell of a lot more sense in the book. I've seen the movie a couple of times. I've read the book twice as much. Book 's much better.
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
2) I always figured it was Dooku ordering under Syfo-dyas' name.

I have a bad feeling about this...
Author
Time
I kind of had two theories: that Syfo-Dyas was an infiltrated sith on the Jedi order, and when he was no longer necessary, Palpatine got rid of him, OR: Dooku was in Kamino saying he was Syfo-Dyas, and then killed Syfo-Dyas some time later, or maybe he was killed by Palpatine by surprise... Why GL didn't make this point clearer, God only knows. If you ask GL about it, he'll probably say "Syfo who?"
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Damon

2) What does Master Siphodias have to do with the clones and what was his role in the whole scheme of things? (Is he ever mentioned again in another part of the SW saga?)


That is answered in the book Labyrinth of Evil.
Author
Time
I think Sifo Dyas is Darth Maul. He was on the Jedi council, like Anakin, "working" with Palpatine / Sideous, then during the events of the Phantom Menace, they decided it was time to "reveal themselves to the Jedi. Ordered the clones, transformed to Darth Maul, got a cool looking face tattoo so no-one would recognise him and there ya go!

That is answered in the book Labyrinth of Evil


What does the book say? I'm not into EU.
Author
Time
Of course the *other* theory, one that sounded kinda logical to me, was that Sifo-dyas WAS Palps... aka Sideous.

Sifo-dyas... Sid De ous... etc
Author
Time
I thought about that as well. In one of the first drafts of the screen play I think that was accually true. But as the story evolved, and I use that word loosely, it was dropped. When Sifo Dyas is mentioned, he was a known Jedi Council member, so I don't thing it could be Palpatine.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: 20th Century Mark
I thought about that as well. In one of the first drafts of the screen play I think that was accually true. But as the story evolved, and I use that word loosely, it was dropped. When Sifo Dyas is mentioned, he was a known Jedi Council member, so I don't thing it could be Palpatine.


I don't know- in PT logic 'magic force monkeys' could have easily flown out of Yoda's butt too so I'd tend to not dismiss anything.
Author
Time
Thanks for all the responses everyone! It's helped clear things up a bit.

Still not sure why Vice Roy wanted to kill Padme when she was fighting AGAINST the Republic army that would threaten Vice Roy's army. This movie just has too many loose ends that were never tied up.
Forever a Star Wars fan!
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Damon
This movie just has too many loose ends that were never tied up.


No sh*t, brother.
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Well, I still stand by my earlier response that he probably wanted revenge over her screwing up his trade franchise.

There is no lingerie in space...

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don't exist... then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks... and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming... Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Gaffer Tape
Well, I still stand by my earlier response that he probably wanted revenge over her screwing up his trade franchise.



Thats what I have thought from day 1, werent we told he had 4 trials for the invasion of Naboo in the aftermath of Phantom Menace so maybe he wanted some sort of revenge for that
Author
Time
It is funny how Lucas could make 3 more movies, and now we have more questions about the saga. Sure some of the PT could have been interpreted different ways by fans, that is always fun. But there were hardcore questions that should have been answered in the PT, and as I have always said, "How does Leia remember her mom, and Luke doesn't?"
Author
Time
Originally posted by: 20th Century Mark
I think Sifo Dyas is Darth Maul. He was on the Jedi council, like Anakin, "working" with Palpatine / Sideous, then during the events of the Phantom Menace, they decided it was time to "reveal themselves to the Jedi. Ordered the clones, transformed to Darth Maul, got a cool looking face tattoo so no-one would recognise him and there ya go!

That is answered in the book Labyrinth of Evil


What does the book say? I'm not into EU.


It explains it in this article on Sifo-Dias at the Star Wars Wiki:

http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Sifo-Dyas
Author
Time
Seriously no one gives a shit about wikipedia.

It all a bunch of bullshit when they put info about star wars.
"Yub Knub" by Warrick Davis
Author
Time


I personally think things should have been explained or seen in the films and not in a series of books, winki, explained by some Lucasfilm official or in any future TV series, i thought that was the whole idea of the Prequel films was to answer all our questions, and not have left questions unanswered or new questions to be answered...
Author
Time
Originally posted by: kev
Seriously no one gives a shit about wikipedia.

It all a bunch of bullshit when they put info about star wars.

I linked to the Star Wars wiki. And, who are you to judge the quality of their articles? You don't even write them, and obviously have no real interest in them anyway, so you have no reason to complain. If you don't like the concept of a wiki, don't read the articles. The purpose of any wiki is to spread information, and that is what I was doing.

Originally posted by: Mr Bungle
I personally think things should have been explained or seen in the films and not in a series of books, winki, explained by some Lucasfilm official or in any future TV series, i thought that was the whole idea of the Prequel films was to answer all our questions, and not have left questions unanswered or new questions to be answered...


Yes, I'll agree that it would have been nice but... at least they can be explained. That's the great thing about Star Wars: it exists in so many different types of media, and can be explained in different media. Explaining it in one of the novels actually helps the concept of the films and EU being a cohesive story, as you have to read one story for the answers to another. Though I suppose a cynical person would say it also helps $$$$-wise.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Adamwankenobi
Yes, I'll agree that it would have been nice but... at least they can be explained. That's the great thing about Star Wars: it exists in so many different types of media, and can be explained in different media.



You see, that is the problem right there. I don't subscribe to the EU (and most people are in the same boat as me). The fact that the EU has to explain what we should have understood in the films is a disgrace.

Now I'm not knocking EU. The EU is there to explore further into issues that have already been established. Like, we know Luke builds a new lightsaber, we saw it in ROTJ, but if you are curious as to HOW he built it, well that is what the EU is there for. Or if you are curious as to what happens to the whole gang after the Battle of Endor, there again you have the EU to satisfy your little heart's curiosity.

To have the EU explain something so questionable, such as "why the hell does Leia remember her mother and Luke doesn't" is insulting. I am not going to read some pulp fiction book by some no-name author and his interpritation of why something so profound occured. It should have been established in the films.

The EU is not there to tie up George Lucas's loose ends. It is there to provide more detail into subjects that have already been established in the films.
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Pulp fiction? No name?
"It's the stoned movie you don't have to be stoned for." -- Tom Shales on Star Wars
Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived.