Sign In

Question to the DVD-R authors in the house

Author
Time
Hey, maybe someone can help me with a little project I'm just finishing up. After getting the TR47 version of Empire, I've gone in and fixed the little 4 second gap error. This was done by simply extracting the VOBs back out to MPEG2 files, loading them into TMPEG DVD, and performing the neccessary cut. The odd thing is, once I go to output it all as VOBs again, I'm getting a massive filesize (well, somewhat over the 4438m allowable DVD-R size anyhoo), and warnings about the combined bitrate being too high. Now, as far as I know, I just plainly pulled the MPEG2 (which is what it would have been to begin with) out, and it should go back exactly the same way. Obviously, I don't want to have to re-encode the thing again, as it'll reduce the quality a generation. Does anyone have either an idea of why this has happened, or, alternaticely, a way to frame-accurately edit a vob directly, or some other way of not losing video/audio quality while making this cut?
Author
Time
oh, i forgot

mpeg2cut will slice n dice vobs and other things, after that you will have to put your vob back together with something, or maybe you could reauthor the dvd at that point with the new vobs?

i dont know for sure, ive never authored a dvd but i do a lot of encoding
Author
Time
You might want to check out DVD Shrink it makes doing simple edits (like what you're talking about) very easy.
Author
Time
I've used DVD Shrink to try and take out the gap. Unfortunately, the editing is only accurate in half a second increments and when the file is put back together, there is a pause at the edit point so I just left it alone.
Author
Time
Thanks, guys! It actually looks like Tmpenc was just reporting it wrong for some reason. I've got the gap down to about a single frame (no way to do it any closer than that without the original, unencoded capture as there's either a B or I frame right on the last frame of black), and it's much less annoying now, not any worse than a layer change on a DVD-9. Did a couple of captures from the "original" torrented files, and my newly snipped version, and it doesn't look like I lost anything at all!