In a similar-ish vein to my previous threads like the YouTube/Vimeo/etc. finds for Original Trilogy making-ofs
and the off-topic Making-Of Documentaries - YouTube/Vimeo/etc. finds thread, I figured it’d be interesting to make a thread dedicated to public domain films that have been posted on YouTube and other video sites.
I also made a similar thread for films that are not in the public domain, but which have been released for free online by their respective copyright holders; Movies/TV officially released for free (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
In case you are unsure about what films are PD you can check here before posting;
• Keep the thumbnail small, please. Either find a small image or simply post the YouTube thumbnail (like this). Alternatively you can PM ZkinandBonez and he’ll make one for you.
• Any additional information about the film would be appreciated, such as links to the film’s IMDb or Wikipedia page, but try to avoid posting links to separate videos about the movie unless there’s a really good reason.
• Please post relevant technical information like the runtime, video resolution, and in the case of non-English films please point out if subtitles are available (don’t post movies if they don’t have subtitles).
• Movie serials can be posted. If you want to post an entire serial, please share a link to a playlist and not a link to every single episode. Serials edited together into a single video is perfectly OK, but if it is an officially released movie version then make sure that it is in the public domain as well.
• Try to not post videos that are smaller than 480p unless it’s the only version of the film you can find.
• Only post films that you know are in the public domain, not simply because you found them for free YouTube. If you are unsure about a films public domain status, you can check to two links posted above or PM ZkinandBonez and he’ll check it for you.
• Only post videos containing just the movie. i.e. no added intros, outros, mirrored videos, cropped videos, tweaked audio, etc. This usually means that the film is not PD and that the uploader is trying to trick the YouTube algorithm. Also, please don’t post any videos with horror host imitators and the like.
A Chronological INDEX… (click on ‘Expand’ to see the Index)
• The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920 - German, silent, horror)
• Nosferatu (1922 - German, silent, horror) scroll down
• The Lost World (1925 - silent, adventure, fantasy, sci-fi)
• The Phantom of the Opera (1925 & 1929 re-release - silent, horror)
• White Zombie (1932 - horror)
• The Most Dangerous Game (1932 - horror, thriller, adventure)
• The Vampire Bat (1933 - horror, mystery)
• H. G. Wells’ Things to Come (1936 - sci-fi)
• Gulliver’s Travels (1939 - animated, adventure, comedy)
• Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1942 - adventure, crime)
• The Woman in Green (1945 - crime, mystery) scroll down
• Captain Kidd (1945 - adventure)
• Terror by Night (1946 - crime, mystery) scroll down
• Dressed to Kill (1946 - crime mystery) scroll down
• The Stranger (1946 - crime, film-noir)
• Fear and Desire (1953 - war, drama)
• House On Haunted Hill (1959) (1959 - horror, mystery)
• The Terror (1963) (1963 - horror)
• Charade (1963 - mystery, comedy, romance)
• The Last Man on Earth (1964) (1964 - horror)
• Night of the Living Dead (1969 - horror)
• Horror Express (1972 - horror, adventure)
• The Phantom Creeps (1939 - sci-fi, horror, action)
• Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940 - sci-fi, action, adventure)
• Superman (1941-1942 - animated, adventure, action)
NOTE: If one of the videos should be deleted from YouTube/Vimeo/etc. please PM ZkinandBonez so that the link can either be replaced or labelled as defunct. Alternatively PM one of the mods.
Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Amazon link to my first novel; Dawn of the Karabu.