Sign In

Project 4K80

Author
Time

Project 4K80 is ramping up. We have a nice new 4K scan of a 35mm fuji Empire Strikes Back print, as well as all the sources used for the Grindhouse Version, and also a nice 35mm to 16mm reduction print made in the 1980s with pretty good color:

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/page/Project-4K80

If you enjoyed The Star Wars Silver Screen Edition, The ESB Grindhouse, Project 4K77 and Project 4K83, please consider donating $1 or more to project 4K80. We need to raise at least $600 more to get this 16mm version scanned, plus the Hard drives required to store it and work on it.

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time

You got it, dude B)

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

The work you all put in is greatly appreciated.

Very happy to make a donation.

Author
Time

I can’t wait. Two years, huh? Well, I might actually get around to finishing my other projects and be ready to tackle the next set. Until then the grindhouse will have to do.

Author
Time

Oh man, this is the one I’ve been waiting for! ALL of the projects (and especially the 4K projects) are absolutely invaluable to our cultural history [plus I just really really love having access to high quality copies of the original films 😉 ]. But Empire, as poita has mentioned before, was in the greatest danger of being lost forever and I am so incredibly happy to see this happening before it’s too late! Thank you guys!

I’ll cetainly send some help your way when I can.

Also, is one of the prints the one poita recently found (that he paid $5000 for)? Sure sounds like it, but it’s not explicitly stated.

Also also, If this is already, or would be better discussed on the other more private board I’ll happily head that way. I just frequent OT.com more so I saw it here first.

Author
Time

Williarob said:

Project 4K80 is ramping up. We have a nice new 4K scan of a 35mm fuji Empire Strikes Back print, as well as all the sources used for the Grindhouse Version, and also a nice 35mm to 16mm reduction print made in the 1980s with pretty good color:

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/page/Project-4K80

If you enjoyed The Star Wars Silver Screen Edition, The ESB Grindhouse, Project 4K77 and Project 4K83, please consider donating $1 or more to project 4K80. We need to raise at least $600 more to get this 16mm version scanned, plus the Hard drives required to store it and work on it.

Hi

long time reader, more recently a member. 77 and 83 was an interesting project and looking fwd to seeing what you can do with 80. Have a couple of beers for now.

Chris

Author
Time

This project is based on a different print than Poita’s. This is a partial Fuji print, which
has less grain, and is sharper. The colors are slightly faded though. But as Rob mentioned,
there are plenty of other color references used.

Author
Time

I’m very curious but I thought this was a 35mm scanned in 4K, cleaned in 4K and rendered in 4K, or are you using multiple sources? I like to know how you guys will make this a reality

Author
Time

Have there been tests done with the Fuji scan to see just how far the colors can be pushed (at least approximately in the right directions)? I’m sure you’re choosing the best sources you’ve got, of course. Seems like something that you might have checked out before the restoration folks spend their many hundreds of hours on cleanup (thank you for your service).

Author
Time

towne32 said:

Have there been tests done with the Fuji scan to see just how far the colors can be pushed (at least approximately in the right directions)? I’m sure you’re choosing the best sources you’ve got, of course. Seems like something that you might have checked out before the restoration folks spend their many hundreds of hours on cleanup (thank you for your service).

Not yet - I’m still waiting for the drive with the fuji scan on it to arrive…

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time

The drive is on its way, and after that we will come up with a plan for the restoration.

Author
Time

How long do you think it might take due to how good the prints are? 4K83 had an amazing print so how good or bad is Empire?

Author
Time

JonathanArthur19 said:

How long do you think it might take due to how good the prints are? 4K83 had an amazing print so how good or bad is Empire?

Unlike the pristine Return of the Jedi print which needed very little work, this project is expected to take at least two years - many of the sources are faded, and have at least as much damage (perhaps even more) as the Star Wars prints we were working with.

Author
Time

I’m excited for this and I know this will be as fantastic as the others

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night. “Stay Phrosty” - Lemar Kentell, my other half. Feel the love.

Author
Time

JonathanArthur19 said:

How long do you think it might take due to how good the prints are? 4K83 had an amazing print so how good or bad is Empire?

It’s not as clean as 4K83, but it’s in way better shape than 4K77.
Needless to say I am pumped for this one. 😃

Author
Time

Those reels look so gorgeous I swear they could be from a Blu Ray. ❤️

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night. “Stay Phrosty” - Lemar Kentell, my other half. Feel the love.

Author
Time

So, I’m still uncertain… Is one of the sources poita’s print? Yes? No? No comment?

Author
Time

This is quite fascinating to learn about the behind the scenes of restorations like this one.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night. “Stay Phrosty” - Lemar Kentell, my other half. Feel the love.

Author
Time

Williarob said:

No. We do have the first reel of his German print, and we will be using that but the rest of it will be the new 4K scan of our Fuji print, this new 16mm print, and the various prints that made up the Grindhouse version will fill in any damaged or missing frames.

From what I can see this 16mm transfer looks way better than puggo’s, which suffers from overblown highlights and crushed blacks.

Don’t have the screenshots to compare, but does this 16mm transfer have the same horizontal cropping as puggo’s or has the full screen of a 35mm frame?

Also, I think any frames taken from the Grindhouse will need some serious colour correction.

Author
Time

Williarob said:

No. We do have the first reel of his German print, and we will be using that but the rest of it will be the new 4K scan of our Fuji print, this new 16mm print, and the various prints that made up the Grindhouse version will fill in any damaged or missing frames.

Cool, thanks for the info. So what are the details (what kind of print, where’d it come from, etc., etc.) of this 35mm Fuji print? Oh, and how are it’s colors?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That Fuji print was the last of 4, that came through. It’s partially Kodak also.
It’s in the best condition, and has much less grain than the other prints.

The colors are faded. There are lots of samples, videos, etc, at the starwarstrilogy forum.