Sign In

Preserving the...cringe...Star Wars Holiday Special (Released) — Page 3

Author
Time
You don't need a good excuse. Just love it!
Author
Time
argh. not sure how this happened.

FE<3OT

Author
Time
ditto. anyway, i was trying to say that i figured out that i have that KCMO version (which is all the more sweet because that's the channel i could pick up to watch Transformers on). so i'm pretty sure that i've read that the KCCI version is better. Is this the case?

FE<3OT

Author
Time
Originally posted by: trickbaxter
ditto. anyway, i was trying to say that i figured out that i have that KCMO version (which is all the more sweet because that's the channel i could pick up to watch Transformers on). so i'm pretty sure that i've read that the KCCI version is better. Is this the case?


Supposedly the KCCI version was taken from a broadcast beta tape. However, I've heard that is now in doubt and is probably a first or very second generation tape. Its supposed to be the highest quality tape available, but I'm not sure how it compares to the KCMO version specifically. However, it is avalable on myspleen, if you want to see it and compare.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Number20
Originally posted by: trickbaxter
ditto. anyway, i was trying to say that i figured out that i have that KCMO version (which is all the more sweet because that's the channel i could pick up to watch Transformers on). so i'm pretty sure that i've read that the KCCI version is better. Is this the case?


Supposedly the KCCI version was taken from a broadcast beta tape. However, I've heard that is now in doubt and is probably a first or very second generation tape. Its supposed to be the highest quality tape available, but I'm not sure how it compares to the KCMO version specifically. However, it is avalable on myspleen, if you want to see it and compare.
The KCCI version is definitely the best, and it's remarkably better than the KCMO version. I have been in touch with the source of the master tape this was transferred from, and it apparently *is* a first generation recording from the original airing. Surprisingly, though, it's not actually Beta (as I had thought as well) but VHS, which makes the quality it's in even more amazing. This tape has been very well-preserved, and also very well-transferred by someone who knew what they were doing. And that's a stroke of luck for all of us.

The bottom line is this: the KCCI version supercedes all other versions I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a lot by now). It is hands-down the best quality you can get your hands on at present.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
Can anyone tell me for sure how the Holiday Special begins? I have a VHS copy that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago, from a guy who advertised in Goldmine magazine, who sells old TV shows on tape.

I always suspected that the beginning of my version was cut off- but I'm not sure. My version begins with Han and Chewie in the falcon cockpit, but it's a freeze-frame for a few seconds before the video actually starts moving (he must have paused his master tape for a few seconds on that scene while starting the recording of my copy). My version has the Kenner toy commercials, too. The video quality of mine is pretty good, I think the guy who sold it to me must have recorded it himself.

Author
Time
I believe there should be a "fly by" shot of the Falcon before you see Han and Chewie.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mielr
Can anyone tell me for sure how the Holiday Special begins? I have a VHS copy that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago, from a guy who advertised in Goldmine magazine, who sells old TV shows on tape.

I always suspected that the beginning of my version was cut off- but I'm not sure. My version begins with Han and Chewie in the falcon cockpit, but it's a freeze-frame for a few seconds before the video actually starts moving (he must have paused his master tape for a few seconds on that scene while starting the recording of my copy). My version has the Kenner toy commercials, too. The video quality of mine is pretty good, I think the guy who sold it to me must have recorded it himself.


Do you know which version it was? Meaning what station was it broadcast from?
Author
Time
There is another version as well that is not shown on my Holiday Special versions page which is an edited version of the WCBS New York broadcast. This was also the first one to be touted as being "remastered", I believe. Until the KCCI version showed up, this edited/remastered version was the best quality I had ever seen. Its source was a guy who taped the show himself, and he sold it for quite a few years for $30 a copy.

Here's a breakdown of the differences in this version:

- edited intro: since the opening Falcon shot was missing and some of the beginning footage was messed up, footage from a later Falcon cockpit shot was taken and edited in to fill out the scene. Han says "All right" when he shouldn't here. But the edit is very good, so good that I didn't notice it for quite a while.

- no WCBS logo: this is inherent to the original WCBS broadcast, where the logo was shown during a news promo spot. But since the edited/remastered version does not include commercials, it's otherwise very difficult to tell that it's the WCBS version.

- edited end credits: whoever "remastered" this version dropped in music from the Star Wars soundtrack at the end in place of the soundtrack music that was already there to cover up the announcer's voiceover talking about upcoming programs that appears in all other US broadcast copies. Again, it is very well done, so it took me some time to figure this one out as well.

If you have this copy, you have the second best version that's out there. But it's also not a "true" copy of the Special, in the sense that it's been creatively edited.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Originally posted by: Mielr
Can anyone tell me for sure how the Holiday Special begins? I have a VHS copy that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago, from a guy who advertised in Goldmine magazine, who sells old TV shows on tape.

I always suspected that the beginning of my version was cut off- but I'm not sure. My version begins with Han and Chewie in the falcon cockpit, but it's a freeze-frame for a few seconds before the video actually starts moving (he must have paused his master tape for a few seconds on that scene while starting the recording of my copy). My version has the Kenner toy commercials, too. The video quality of mine is pretty good, I think the guy who sold it to me must have recorded it himself.


Do you know which version it was? Meaning what station was it broadcast from?

I'll have to check.......

EDIT: Ok, I checked and it's the KCMO TV5 (kansas city, mo) version. The beginning does seem to be cut off- there's a bit of battle with the star destroyers, then the first line Han speaks is "ok, I'm turning back".

So, the KCCI version is the best one?

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mielr
EDIT: Ok, I checked and it's the KCMO TV5 (kansas city, mo) version. The beginning does seem to be cut off- there's a bit of battle with the star destroyers, then the first line Han speaks is "ok, I'm turning back". That version does seem to start with the pause button on, on the versions I've seen. And yes, the beginning is cut off a little bit, which is the case on most other versions too, unfortunately. But not on the KCCI version - it's totally complete.

So, the KCCI version is the best one?
Hands-down, there's no comparison. It's miles away from the other versions in terms of quality. I'll be surprised if we ever unearth another broadcast copy that's better than the KCCI.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
Originally posted by: SKot
Originally posted by: Mielr
EDIT: Ok, I checked and it's the KCMO TV5 (kansas city, mo) version. The beginning does seem to be cut off- there's a bit of battle with the star destroyers, then the first line Han speaks is "ok, I'm turning back". That version does seem to start with the pause button on, on the versions I've seen. And yes, the beginning is cut off a little bit, which is the case on most other versions too, unfortunately. But not on the KCCI version - it's totally complete.

So, the KCCI version is the best one?
Hands-down, there's no comparison. It's miles away from the other versions in terms of quality. I'll be surprised if we ever unearth another broadcast copy that's better than the KCCI.

--SKot

Thanks for your advice- I would have had no idea otherwise!

Author
Time
Sounds like more delusions of a Lucas Fanboy to me.

“I love Darth Editous and I’m not ashamed to admit it.” ~ADigitalMan

Author
Time
Or an attempt at clever satire. Well, he tried.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Knightmessenger
I sure can't wait to see this "special edition" version.

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa/SWHSSEE.html


AWK probably made that
Author
Time
Ah, that was Alex Newborn that wrote that one. I got a few giggles out of it.

In reality, I think if there's to be any kind of Holiday Special Edition, it will have to come from the fans. One never knows...

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
I am new to these forums, and to video editing and DVD Authoring as well, and have read ALOT of these forums over the last few weeks. These forums are a wealth of information. I have a project in mind that I’ve been obsessing over for about a week, and would like to call on the great people here for assistance:

THE PROJECT: a Feature rich version of the Star Wars Holiday Special including the Blacksvn KCCI Version (with Rikter’s permission, of course) with an optional subtitle track, Deleted Scene (if I can get my hands on it), any extant interviews about the special that can be located, a slideshow (or possibly just a DVD-Rom folder) of photos, production art, the Starlog article and more, as well as other Star Wars Holiday-related such as the Christmas in the Stars album and the various pieces of Lucasfilm Star Wars holiday artwork. Ideally, I would like to include much of the info available on starwarsholidayspecial.com (with SKot’s permission). This is mainly being created for myself, as I like to have all related material in one place, and have not been happy with the Special Features on the existing DVD’s I have (that’s not to say I don’t like the features, just that many of them I feel do not belong on a Holiday Special disc). It is also to be given out to friends and family as a “Christmas Card” similar to a series of Christmas Song CD’s I have done over the last few years (and yes, selections from Christmas in the Stars was included). If there is interest, I will also distribute through Usenet/Torrents/PIF.

THE REQUEST: Firstly, I request permission from Rikter and SKot for the use of their work. I know this is a formality and I could just do it anyway, but I like to do things the right way and credit will be given in the nfo as well as on the cover and in the DVD Credits.
Secondly, I need help locating some of these items. I have read thoroughly through these forums, perhaps a bit too thoroughly as I forget where I located some of this information. In these forums I have seen mention of a Deleted Scene and someone also mentioned an hour long interview (I think) with someone involved with the Special. These are #1 to get on my list. Also I would like to get the Conan/Harrison Ford clip, and the FoxNews clip. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as well as properly credited (if so desired).

Any help whatsoever is appreciated, and I look forward to getting started on this.
Keeper of the DVDHolocron
www.DVDHolocron.com
blog.DVDHolocron.com
www.MySpace.com/DVDHolocron
Author
Time
Great idea, I think the Conan interview is still on You Tube but there must be a better quality video out there somewhere though.

Edit: Scratch that :removed for breaking copyright legislation:

“I love Darth Editous and I’m not ashamed to admit it.” ~ADigitalMan

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mathiias
I am new to these forums, and to video editing and DVD Authoring as well, and have read ALOT of these forums over the last few weeks. These forums are a wealth of information. I have a project in mind that I’ve been obsessing over for about a week, and would like to call on the great people here for assistance:

THE PROJECT: a Feature rich version of the Star Wars Holiday Special including the Blacksvn KCCI Version (with Rikter’s permission, of course) with an optional subtitle track, Deleted Scene (if I can get my hands on it), any extant interviews about the special that can be located, a slideshow (or possibly just a DVD-Rom folder) of photos, production art, the Starlog article and more, as well as other Star Wars Holiday-related such as the Christmas in the Stars album and the various pieces of Lucasfilm Star Wars holiday artwork. Ideally, I would like to include much of the info available on starwarsholidayspecial.com (with SKot’s permission). This is mainly being created for myself, as I like to have all related material in one place, and have not been happy with the Special Features on the existing DVD’s I have (that’s not to say I don’t like the features, just that many of them I feel do not belong on a Holiday Special disc). It is also to be given out to friends and family as a “Christmas Card” similar to a series of Christmas Song CD’s I have done over the last few years (and yes, selections from Christmas in the Stars was included). If there is interest, I will also distribute through Usenet/Torrents/PIF.

THE REQUEST: Firstly, I request permission from Rikter and SKot for the use of their work. I know this is a formality and I could just do it anyway, but I like to do things the right way and credit will be given in the nfo as well as on the cover and in the DVD Credits.
Secondly, I need help locating some of these items. I have read thoroughly through these forums, perhaps a bit too thoroughly as I forget where I located some of this information. In these forums I have seen mention of a Deleted Scene and someone also mentioned an hour long interview (I think) with someone involved with the Special. These are #1 to get on my list. Also I would like to get the Conan/Harrison Ford clip, and the FoxNews clip. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as well as properly credited (if so desired).

Any help whatsoever is appreciated, and I look forward to getting started on this.


SKot's the one to taklk to about this. I have talked with him about a similiar project before. Maybe he could bring you onto the team. The Ford interview should be on a re-run in the coming months, I suppose. I'd keep the TiVo on stand-by.
Author
Time
Mattiias,

First thing you'll want to do is turn on your PMs in your profile.

Incidentally, I don't know of any hour-long interviews with anyone about the Holiday Special. Just very short snippets here and there, since most people don't like to talk about it and often clam up as soon as it's mentioned.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]