Sign In

PS78: Pre-ANH Star Wars Bootleg VHS from 1978 ***"RAW" DVD RELEASED*** — Page 18

Author
Time

The full, unedited take, from slate to cut, is in the ebook footage. One throw.

Author
Time

I clearly remember my dad saying OOPS!..... I am not just filling in things that didn't exist.  I remember that night clearly! 

And I saw it at the drive in at 100 TWIN, was that a 70 mm release?

 

hmmmm

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time

I once heard a theory that drive-ins sometimes got weird prints of movies that "regular" theaters didn't get.  And that people who say they've seen this grappling hook scene almost always saw it at drive-ins.  Don't know how true this could be.  Maybe.  I don't know.

Olivia James
Author
Time

Mitch said:

I clearly remember my dad saying OOPS!..... I am not just filling in things that didn't exist.  I remember that night clearly! 

And I saw it at the drive in at 100 TWIN, was that a 70 mm release?

 

hmmmm

I'm with Poita on this on. You remember it well, no one's arguing with that... But memories are very faulty and prone to corruption. We have bootlegs and prints and sound recordings, but NOTHING has even remotely turned up to suggest that the grappling hook missing scene exist. One just has to listen to the music recorded: 

http://youtu.be/W6vKhR8XuP4?t=3m10s

Where in the world does the music exist for Luke to throw his rope again and again?

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time
I think 'the miss' is actually a false suggestion created my the rhythm of the way the scene is cut. You expect him to throw the hook earlier, based on the pacing, but it then cuts to him still unthreading the rope. Its like that thing magicians do in the film "the prestige", you create a series of steps up to something and the mind fills in the blank. So you have the impression of actually seeing something but then when you go back in the cold light of day you see it was never there.
Author
Time

Would anyone like to help me GOUT-sync PS78?

I'm synchronizing it to a 3:2-pulldowned GOUT and it's coming out great so far, but there are a few instances where freezing or deleting a frame or two improves the sync considerably. It can't be perfect because the source is truly 29.97fps and can't be IVTC'd.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

Oh, and I'm going to post the "raw" DVDs to MySpleen tomorrow.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

AntcuFaalb said:

Oh, and I'm going to post the "raw" DVDs to MySpleen tomorrow.

Very interested in this. 

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time

Mitch said:

AntcuFaalb said:

Oh, and I'm going to post the "raw" DVDs to MySpleen tomorrow.

Very interested in this. 

Me too!

Author
Time

Now on a MySpleen near you...

1

2

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

Old school telecine made in 77/78 of an original print/soundtrack with all the density levels of the colours intact, also featuring a projected film texture? Yes please.

(p.s. if you want to frankify the colours on this beauty then use the vlc settings in post 125)

 

 

Author
Time

I've been lurking around this project from the start every so often, so I'm getting it.

So, a new book came out and we learned so much, and it is called, “Anguilosaurus, Killer of the Living”.

Author
Time

Watching this bootleg almost urges you to perceive SW as an obscure one-shot movie with a small cult following. Surreal.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It makes you feel that the original theatrical presentation was from this bootleg tape, in this case, the master tape used for this DVD.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Cue marks around 19:40, 39:01, & 39:09 on the first DVD, and around 01:54, 02:02, 20:36, & 20:44 on the second DVD. tell me if I missed some by PM'ing me.

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

Now on a MySpleen near you...

When people post those thumbnail shots like that, is there supposed to be a secret way we are able to see the shots at full size? Or is it supposed to just be a teaser kind of thing?

Because I see them a lot in our little "bootleg circles" and I've only once seen a link to the full sized shots to accompany them.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Asaki said:

AntcuFaalb said:

Now on a MySpleen near you...

When people post those thumbnail shots like that, is there supposed to be a secret way we are able to see the shots at full size? Or is it supposed to just be a teaser kind of thing?

Because I see them a lot in our little "bootleg circles" and I've only once seen a link to the full sized shots to accompany them.

I don't think so. It's generated by the quick-and-dirty "Make a Thumbnail" function that comes with Media Player Classic.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

coltonlolz said:

It makes you feel that the original theatrical presentation was from this bootleg tape, in this case, the master tape used for this DVD.

Then we have raided the lost Ark.

Author
Time

Reegar said:

coltonlolz said:

It makes you feel that the original theatrical presentation was from this bootleg tape, in this case, the master tape used for this DVD.

Then we have raided the lost Ark.

Then yes, we totally have.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This bootleg contains the original end credits , and has the "tight" John Williams credit, as well. Might any one of you check and see if it has the "cloudy" X-Wing takeoff matte?

 

Author
Time

Are ya'll happy with the latest release or should I put in time to get something more "polished"?

I figure it's primarily a historical curiosity as well as a source of information for things like the cue marks, etc.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

Are ya'll happy with the latest release or should I put in time to get something more "polished"?

I figure it's primarily a historical curiosity as well as a source of information for things like the cue marks, etc.

When i mount this on vlc i notice some tiny skips throughout the film, is this just my computer, or a syncing thing on the copy or from the original? It's not a dealbreaker. Just curious. 

Author
Time

frank678 said:

AntcuFaalb said:

Are ya'll happy with the latest release or should I put in time to get something more "polished"?

I figure it's primarily a historical curiosity as well as a source of information for things like the cue marks, etc.

When i mount this on vlc i notice some tiny skips throughout the film, is this just my computer, or a syncing thing on the copy or from the original? It's not a dealbreaker. Just curious. 

Skips? Are you describing when the video jumps up and down?

The transfer is quite wobbly.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3