As I was looking through this site, it seemed that there is some great interest in getting the deleted scenes restored so they can be used in others who are doing extended versions. Should we just make this a priority? A mini project with goal to complete once and for all?
It seemed to me that many tried and either quit or have taken down links to their attempts.
Now that the technology has come along way in the last 5 years as far as restoration tools, I think the time is now to finish these.
While my plan was and still is to incorporate these into my extended “-x” versions. I could certainly just share these out as I finish them and focus on them first. I am curious if anyone that has WIP on these that would save me time? Below will be the full list of deleted I am adding in, followed by my process which uses 2021-22 technology. Adobe tools have come along way
I would like to start a regular cadence of finishing these off if this is the better approach. Reply to this tread if interested in this and I will divert my focus to it. If I focus on this and plan for 1-3 weeks per scene we should be able to have them all by year end. It also may depend on how much headway people have made on these as well.
- Luke w/treadwell on the surface - Completed
- Troopers searching hallway doors immediately after entering the Tantive - completed
- Tosche Station #1 - Luke & friends look to the sky - 50% complete
- Tosche Station #2 - Luke & Bigs - 10% complete
- Blue Milk and Lars Breakfast - 60% complete
- Search for R2 (POV in the Speeder)
- All 4 sandpeople mounting their Banthas
- Longer Cantina scene - All creatures - 25% complete
- Stormtroopers Search Tatooine (“stilt monster”)
- Extended scene with governers in death star board room - TBD quality is horrible
- Darth Vader Widens the Search - 10% complete
- Stormtroopers on Death Star corridor searching
- Death Star Sneaking Around Scene
- Leia and Han in falcon before Yavin - 50% complete
- Gonk Droid in Death Star Hallway
- Leia and luke after his recovery - 5% complete
- Extra scene of han and liea in hallway - 20% complete
- 3po switching the sign
- Extra wampa scene breaking free in the base
- Luke’s light sabre training
- Han repairs the falcon
- Lobot gets caught
- Luke in Falcon medical Bay extended - 40% complete
- Vader walking to chamber, calling to luke, lightsabre construction
- 3PO and R2 enter Jabbas Palace.
- The sandstorm
- General madine extra scenes going into hyperspace before Lando
- Rebels inside the shield bunker
- Jerjerrods hesitation
My current Restoration process
- Obtain HD footage
- Color correction, enhance contrast/clarity using AE and curves in AE
- Rotoscope actors off of background
- Create clean background plates for scene and angel changes and use content aware fill in PS to remove scratches and dust (skip if camera/background moves to much and instead use content aware and laso tool to remove all dust and scratches by hand frame by frame full frame with no rotoscoping and masking)
- Motion track any clean plates if they were made and match to original camera/footage movement if background plates are used
- Composite back any elements to background plate
- Use Content aware fill on spot areas of the elements after they are composited back in
- Use JPG AI neural filters in PS to remove any pixelation
- (Optional)Using original footage, mask out any elements that need to be composited back in but not edge rotoscoped (shadows)
(Optional)fix any surfaces that can be improved with a photographic texture remapping, use PS warp, liquify tools and AE’s CC powerpin to stretch over and replace damaged blurry texture on objects or background.
- Add audio improved where needed, but not surround sound at early stage.