Sign In

Official Release Thread - Alien Appendix - Updated with #2 info (Released) — Page 8

Author
Time
How about converting the images from the Alien Illustrated Story from Heavy Metal books to one of the Appendix DVDs?

I have an extra copy that could be scanned.

Author
Time
I thought Appendix I was great. How can I get a hold of these awesome collections

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time
How do we get a copy of #2 WP redux?

How do we do it!
Author
Time
Robthom - turn on your PM's (and ensure you can receive PM's as well in your profile) and get in touch.

mm
Author
Time
AA1, AA1a, AA2, and AA2a have been posted to alt.binaries.dvd and alt.binaries.dvd.midnightmovies.

So get 'em before they're gone. (And I'm a several days late telling you this).

That's:

Alien appendix 1 - Evolution (PAL)
Alien appendix 1a - Evolution (NTSC)

Alien appendix 2 - Redux DL (anamorphic NTSC)
Alien appendix 2a - Redux SL (non-anamorphic NTSC)

One day I found... 10 years had got behind me. Next day was worse.

 

Download  shows from Cable DVR (Updated! Yes, it needs a rewrite, but it's worth slogging through, anyway).

Author
Time
Hey I am new to this particular thread. I have been watching a lot of my Alien Quadrilogy set lately and I came across this thread. Where do I go to get a copy of this. Is there a particular torrent site to go to or are we using the PiF method?
Author
Time
check : myspleen.com for all torrents, but their all dead the last time i checked...
Author
Time

Are the Alien Appendix serie's DEAD? If not please let me know where to find some info on new releases....

Author
Time
8t88 said:

Are the Alien Appendix serie's DEAD? If not please let me know where to find some info on new releases....

 

I hope there will be more.  I have some stuff that I hope can be included on future releases.  For example a Super8 copy of ALIEN that runs about 18 min.

Author
Time

Could someone please repost Alien Redux and/or the other Appendicies in alt.binaries.dvds.midnightmovies please? 

Author
Time

Hello!

Does anyone still have a copy of Alien Appendix 1a that they'd be willing to share?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Author
Time

Well, it looks like no one has had anything to say about this for quite some time, so I will take it upon me to remedy that.

 

I've got an avi rip of this, but the quality sorta sucks.  I've been looking for the full DVD but have had no luck at all.  I wish someone would point me to a place to get it.

 

Also, I was wondering if there was any plan to do this with the audio done right.  I realize this is an attempt at a workprint style thing, but I'd like to see a full final version done with the audio fully produced and corrected.  What I've seen has terrible hiss, and many shots of exteriors without sound, or with the wrong sound.  Some scenes with someone off set shouting lines to the actors (Mother's voice?) that were clearly meant to be replaced later, and the one scene with Ash's head being bashed off where you can hear the director directing.  The video work on this release is fantastic.  If the sound were done correctly it would be a perfect full version of the movie.

 

Oh.  One thing I noticed in this:  There's a scene where the crew goes down to check out the derelict, and you hear Parker say something to them over the radio.  Then a shot of the same scene plays from inside the Nostromo with Parker and Brett shown, and the same dialogue is repeated.  The scene doubles up from different perspectives.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to cut back and forth between the shots?

 

Just being overly picky as I am wont to do.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The force shall free me.

Author
Time

}{eywood said:

I've got an avi rip of this, but the quality sorta sucks.  I've been looking for the full DVD but have had no luck at all.  I wish someone would point me to a place to get it.

 

Also, I was wondering if there was any plan to do this with the audio done right.  I realize this is an attempt at a workprint style thing, but I'd like to see a full final version done with the audio fully produced and corrected.  What I've seen has terrible hiss, and many shots of exteriors without sound, or with the wrong sound.  Some scenes with someone off set shouting lines to the actors (Mother's voice?) that were clearly meant to be replaced later, and the one scene with Ash's head being bashed off where you can hear the director directing.  The video work on this release is fantastic.  If the sound were done correctly it would be a perfect full version of the movie.

 

Oh.  One thing I noticed in this:  There's a scene where the crew goes down to check out the derelict, and you hear Parker say something to them over the radio.  Then a shot of the same scene plays from inside the Nostromo with Parker and Brett shown, and the same dialogue is repeated.  The scene doubles up from different perspectives.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to cut back and forth between the shots?

 

Just being overly picky as I am wont to do.

I never really planned on doing a "perfect version" due to the fact that a lot of the deleted scenes are in much lesser quality.  Some, as you can tell, are obviously video sources rather than the original film source.  I have always had a fondness for those "workprints" with missing effects and final sound mixes.  So that is why I went for that look.  I used the original production audio from the DVD wherever possible.  The editing was done with DV files and they still exist on something like 10 DVDs backed up.  The final release was compressed to something around 3 1/2 GB just to get it out.  If the recent Bluray release had included a lot more deleted footage I would have considered going back and doing another edit.  But as usual Fox dropped the ball and didn't really do anything really special for the box set.  They could have included the 3 hour workprint from '79.  Of even a lot of the deleted footage of the alien itself that was shot. 

As far as any dialog repetition, that was just a goof. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Alien appendix 1a - Evolution (NTSC)
Alien appendix 2 - Redux DL (anamorphic NTSC)

Are the above still available somewhere?  Aside from the Quadrilogy and the Alien Saga DVD I have, these would make for a nice addition to my collection while awaiting the release of Prometheus.  I'm going to seek out the Alien Legacy Documentary as well....sounds like it would just add to my enjoyment of these awesome movies.

Apparently, me buying the BR set will fix issue one.  So I'm good there.  The 2nd one I will search my archives as I might actually have it.

Sorry for the wasted post.

Cheers!!!!

Author
Time

Will there ever be BD25 AVC (instead of MPEG2 480p) versions of any of the ALIEN Appendices discs? Perhaps even a 1080p version of the ALIEN: Extended Edition? Already own the UK ALIEN Anthology Blu-ray set and I was going to buy another multi-disc Blu-ray case. Only so I won't use anymore DVDs and have everything on Blu-ray for these.

Author
Time

FremenDar said:

Perhaps even a 1080p version of the ALIEN: Extended Edition? 

Oh man, that would be awesome, but I think an HD version would require a brand new edit with the BD or a D-Theater Rip as the base. Do the creators happen to have the master files before DVD compression?

As it is, I enjoyed the hell out of that edit from the AVI copy I could get. The DVD seems to no longer be seeded sadly.

Author
Time

RIJIR will have to give you an official answer, but considering the source material available - a large quantity of which still only exists as 4:3 letterboxed footage prepared for laserdisc - an HD version of the redux edit doesn't seem very worthwhile. I think meedermow wrung about as much quality out of this project as was possible when he upscaled it to 16:9 for the appendix release (RIJIR had edited in 4:3 originally).

As for the other appendices, it's pretty much the same story - most of the source material was DVD quality at best (much of it significantly below, and I mean that affectionately). BD might afford a better storage solution, but if you'd like them re-built as larger archives I'm afraid you'll have to make your own menus ;)

(BTW it's possible there's a lot of current interview material and such doing the rounds for Prometheus, and that would likely be in HD. I'm of the feeling that anything worthwhile - the online viral clips and such - will be on the official release, but I daresay TB1971 is collating all of this stuff just in case!)

Author
Time

Hi there! Naturally, I'm collecting promo clips for Prometeus and I'm kind of surprised no thread on the subject is created yet. Most of new blu-rays seem to omit those promo clips for some reason. I already have a few TV specials that I doubt will be released. If someone would like to contribute, PM me...

PS Prometheus was mind blowing in IMAX 3D, but from the script and directing point of view it's a mixed bag. It goes into extremes of brilliancy on one hand and extremes of stupidity in another hand.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Jonno said:

RIJIR will have to give you an official answer, but considering the source material available - a large quantity of which still only exists as 4:3 letterboxed footage prepared for laserdisc - an HD version of the redux edit doesn't seem very worthwhile. I think meedermow wrung about as much quality out of this project as was possible when he upscaled it to 16:9 for the appendix release (RIJIR had edited in 4:3 originally).

All of the material I used for the Redux Workprint came from official DVDs.  Since the quality of some of the material is obviously not from the original negatives the quality would never be considered HD by any means.  Also since this edit was supposed to represent a "workprint" top-noch quality was not what I was going for.  I did all the editing with DV files and those files still exist on something like 10 or 20 DVDs.  I compressed those down to a manageable 3 1/2 GB for the DVD.  So a higher quality master could be made.  But it would never be HD without starting from scratch.  And still the deleted footage has never been released in HD.  So you would end up with a more dramatic switch when going to and from deleted scenes.

Author
Time

tb1971 the Prometheus actors have been doing the rounds on the US late night chat show circuit. Jimmy Fallon, Leno, Letterman, Daily Show, Colbert Report. Possibly Conan and Jimmy Kimmel too.

Check the official website of the shows for when they were on, or just google prometheus+show name. I'm sure you know the drill.

Here is a funny\snarky review of Prometheus. I haven't read it myself as I haven't gone to see it yet!

http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/

I would love to get hold of some ADigitalMan Extended Editions if anyone can help out. Monty Python's Life Of Brian, Love Actually Bloated and Flatulent. Ta!

Author
Time

Hello all, I've found out about this version after watching Aliens special edition and I got very curious to see how this go (the aliens appendix 2). Would there be any kind soul willing to point somewhere to get this? I know this release is a bit old and I came up late, I also never used newsbins.

Any file share host perhaps, or torrent?

Thank you very much.

Author
Time

FremenDar said:


Will there ever be BD25 AVC (instead of MPEG2 480p) versions of any of the ALIEN Appendices discs? Perhaps even a 1080p version of the ALIEN: Extended Edition? Already own the UK ALIEN Anthology Blu-ray set and I was going to buy another multi-disc Blu-ray case. Only so I won't use anymore DVDs and have everything on Blu-ray for these.


I'm planning on combining discs and burning to blu-ray...if that's of interest.