Sign In

OT Edits to Fit the PT and/or the Larger Saga (A Resource Thread, Hopefully)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sacrilege I know, but for those trying to improve continuity in the whole saga, in some cases it’s simply easier to change the OT rather than the PT where there’s a discrepancy. My goal for this thread is to compile a list of all the minor bits of dialogue or minor bits that have a potential for change, and then the suggested way to change them, and then hopefully examples of the change in action. Ultimately it’d be nice to have something like Hal’s PT edit care package, but for these specific OT changes (I know many have been done already for things such as Hal’s custom SEs).

ANH:

  • Adywan added a battle droid to the sand crawler. Are there other spots in the film were PT elements could be added?
  • Ben shows no recognition toward R2 and C-3PO. Suggested edit: “Come here my old friend.” Could also cut out Ben saying he doesn’t remember owning a droid, even though it doesn’t technically contradict anything.
  • Ben’s line about the lightsaber. Suggested edit: “I wanted you to have this when you were old enough.” I believe this change has already been worked out in Hal’s edit (https://vimeo.com/343857900).

TESB:

  • Ben’s line about Yoda, “The Jedi master who instructed me.” Suggested edit: “A Jedi master who instructed me.” I believe this change has already been worked out in Hal’s edit (https://vimeo.com/343932338).
  • Another line about Ben’s training, “Was I any different, when you taught me?” Suggested edit: “Was I any different, when Qui-Gon taught me?”
  • The infamous “other.” Suggested edit: “No, there is the other.”

ROTJ:

  • Leia’s “real mother.” In my mind the simple solution is to excise this bit of the conversation entirely. What’s the best way?
  • Vader’s line, “Obi-wan once thought as you do.” Suggested edit: “Your mother once thought as you do.” Lot of work has been done on this one recently (I believe this is the most recent attempt, getting close but not perfect: https://vimeo.com/362829979).
  • I’ve always thought it’d be pretty neat to see a PT ship or two in the space battle.
  • I think I’ve seen a few people mock up a shot of the Hayden ghost appearing at Vader’s funeral pyre. An interesting alternate to tie the trilogies together.

Hopefully this is just a jumping off point. Please let me know if you guys think of any others.

Author
Time

What are the passwords to your Vimeo clips?

Adywan’s Star Wars Revisited edits are to Blade Runner: The Final Cut as the original theatrical releases of the original trilogy are to the original version of Blade Runner.

Author
Time
  • Leave Temuera Morrison as the voice of Boba Fett, but maybe tweak the tone or speed to make him sound more like the older, menacing Fett voice.
  • Also have someone speaking out loud Fett’s name in Ep V.
  • Make Obi-Wan call Darth Vader “Anakin” or “Vader” instead of “Darth”.
  • Trim Leia addressing Obi-Wan as Ben.
  • Add at least one reference to Vader and/or the Emperor being a Sith (for example, in the Ep V opening crawl, introduce Vader as a “Sith Lord” instead of “evil lord”.
  • Address the Emperor as “Palpatine” in at least one line (it could be during the Rebel briefing scene in Ep VI: “…we’ve learned that Emperor Palpatine himself”).
  • In Ep VI, alter Luke’s line, from “I can turn him back to the good side” to I can save him. I can turn him back to the Light side".
  • Maybe one reference to the balance of the Force?
  • Maybe a throwaway line confirming Bail Organa’s death?
  • Add movement and Aurebesh texts to the screens of the Rebel bases and Imperial systems.

Also there might be some ways to further bridge Rogue One and the OT.

  • Re-scripted lines for Vader at the start referring to the events at Scarif.
  • Add Scarif in the background for the early scenes with the Death Star in space.
  • Add U-Wings and Hammerhead Corvettes to the Battle of Endor.
Author
Time

I wish we had access to Tagge saying “This Sith Lord has gone too far.”

Author
Time

An alternative to Ben on Hoth that I quickly made up. I used Hals change of “the” to “a”.
“There you will learn from Yoda, a Jedi Master.”
https://vimeo.com/368321068

Has anyone ever tried to fix Owen not recognising 3PO in 4? With 3PO having his memory wiped in 3, 3PO would still introduce himself to Owen. Maybe during this, Owen would butt in saying “3PO?” or something. Im not sure what lines are available. 3PO would respond with “Oh…” in confusion. Not really thought too much into this.

Author
Time

I don’t think that is necessary. 3PO looks different from how he looked when he saw him over twenty years ago, and he 3PO never identifies himself to Owen. The only thing you can say they have in common is their voice. Maybe the protocol droid on Bespin that 3PO runs into could also have Anthony Daniels’ voice, implying that is a common protocol droid voice.

Author
Time

DougieP said:

An alternative to Ben on Hoth that I quickly made up. I used Hals change of “the” to “a”.
“There you will learn from Yoda, a Jedi Master.”
https://vimeo.com/368321068

Has anyone ever tried to fix Owen not recognising 3PO in 4? With 3PO having his memory wiped in 3, 3PO would still introduce himself to Owen. Maybe during this, Owen would butt in saying “3PO?” or something. Im not sure what lines are available. 3PO would respond with “Oh…” in confusion. Not really thought too much into this.

Good effort on the Yoda clip, but I think his inflection makes it sound odd to end the sentence there. I think “A Jedi master who instructed me” is fine personally.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

I don’t think that is necessary. 3PO looks different from how he looked when he saw him over twenty years ago, and he 3PO never identifies himself to Owen. The only thing you can say they have in common is their voice. Maybe the protocol droid on Bespin that 3PO runs into could also have Anthony Daniels’ voice, implying that is a common protocol droid voice.

Yeah, your right. I just watched the scene again. For some reason I remembered 3PO introducing himself by name. Would make sense that he doesn’t recognise him from their conversation.

Owen: “I have no need for a protocol droid.”
3PO: “Of course you havent, sir. Not in an environment such as this.”

Maybe remove these lines since they actually did use a protocol droid in that exact same environment? I guess you could make the case that they only had him because Shmi brought him along for sentimental reasons.

Octorox said:

Good effort on the Yoda clip, but I think his inflection makes it sound odd to end the sentence there. I think “A Jedi master who instructed me” is fine personally.

Thanks. That inflection was worse originally and I did my best to fix it. Ah well, it was an idea.

Author
Time

I really like these. It’s not sacrilege to people like me, who grew up with the OT but would still prefer to be able to think of every episode as part of a whole.

It’d be my preference that any such edits used Adywan’s as a base (at least for ESB for now), given the huge progress he’s made in polishing them up to the best possible standard -though I don’t know how possible that is for editors.

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

  • Leave Temuera Morrison as the voice of Boba Fett, but maybe tweak the tone or speed to make him sound more like the older, menacing Fett voice.
  • Also have someone speaking out loud Fett’s name in Ep V.
  • Make Obi-Wan call Darth Vader “Anakin” or “Vader” instead of “Darth”.
  • Trim Leia addressing Obi-Wan as Ben.
  • Add at least one reference to Vader and/or the Emperor being a Sith (for example, in the Ep V opening crawl, introduce Vader as a “Sith Lord” instead of “evil lord”.
  • Address the Emperor as “Palpatine” in at least one line (it could be during the Rebel briefing scene in Ep VI: “…we’ve learned that Emperor Palpatine himself”).
  • In Ep VI, alter Luke’s line, from “I can turn him back to the good side” to I can save him. I can turn him back to the Light side".
  • Maybe one reference to the balance of the Force?
  • Maybe a throwaway line confirming Bail Organa’s death?
  • Add movement and Aurebesh texts to the screens of the Rebel bases and Imperial systems.

Also there might be some ways to further bridge Rogue One and the OT.

  • Re-scripted lines for Vader at the start referring to the events at Scarif.
  • Add Scarif in the background for the early scenes with the Death Star in space.
  • Add U-Wings and Hammerhead Corvettes to the Battle of Endor.

What about the sequel trilogy films?

Adywan’s Star Wars Revisited edits are to Blade Runner: The Final Cut as the original theatrical releases of the original trilogy are to the original version of Blade Runner.

Author
Time

Adywan has already added Scarif to A NEW HOPE Revisited.

FreezingTNT2 said:

Knight of Kalee said:

  • Leave Temuera Morrison as the voice of Boba Fett, but maybe tweak the tone or speed to make him sound more like the older, menacing Fett voice.
  • Also have someone speaking out loud Fett’s name in Ep V.
  • Make Obi-Wan call Darth Vader “Anakin” or “Vader” instead of “Darth”.
  • Trim Leia addressing Obi-Wan as Ben.
  • Add at least one reference to Vader and/or the Emperor being a Sith (for example, in the Ep V opening crawl, introduce Vader as a “Sith Lord” instead of “evil lord”.
  • Address the Emperor as “Palpatine” in at least one line (it could be during the Rebel briefing scene in Ep VI: “…we’ve learned that Emperor Palpatine himself”).
  • In Ep VI, alter Luke’s line, from “I can turn him back to the good side” to I can save him. I can turn him back to the Light side".
  • Maybe one reference to the balance of the Force?
  • Maybe a throwaway line confirming Bail Organa’s death?
  • Add movement and Aurebesh texts to the screens of the Rebel bases and Imperial systems.

Also there might be some ways to further bridge Rogue One and the OT.

  • Re-scripted lines for Vader at the start referring to the events at Scarif.
  • Add Scarif in the background for the early scenes with the Death Star in space.
  • Add U-Wings and Hammerhead Corvettes to the Battle of Endor.

What about the sequel trilogy films?

Author
Time

Adywan has already added Scarif to A NEW HOPE Revisited.

Knight of Kalee said:

  • Leave Temuera Morrison as the voice of Boba Fett, but maybe tweak the tone or speed to make him sound more like the older, menacing Fett voice.
  • Also have someone speaking out loud Fett’s name in Ep V.
  • Make Obi-Wan call Darth Vader “Anakin” or “Vader” instead of “Darth”.
  • Trim Leia addressing Obi-Wan as Ben.
  • Add at least one reference to Vader and/or the Emperor being a Sith (for example, in the Ep V opening crawl, introduce Vader as a “Sith Lord” instead of “evil lord”.
  • Address the Emperor as “Palpatine” in at least one line (it could be during the Rebel briefing scene in Ep VI: “…we’ve learned that Emperor Palpatine himself”).
  • In Ep VI, alter Luke’s line, from “I can turn him back to the good side” to I can save him. I can turn him back to the Light side".
  • Maybe one reference to the balance of the Force?
  • Maybe a throwaway line confirming Bail Organa’s death?
  • Add movement and Aurebesh texts to the screens of the Rebel bases and Imperial systems.

Also there might be some ways to further bridge Rogue One and the OT.

  • Re-scripted lines for Vader at the start referring to the events at Scarif.
  • Add Scarif in the background for the early scenes with the Death Star in space.
  • Add U-Wings and Hammerhead Corvettes to the Battle of Endor.
Author
Time

Temuera also has quite a few Fett lines in the Battlefront games, including “As you wish” and “worth a fortune to me,” which sound a bit less phoned-in than the lines he recorded for the 2004 DVD.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ive made a small list of some other things that could be fixed. Ill probably have a shot at them all at some point.

ANH

Obi Wan forgets R2. A few line removals would fix it. I think he even calls R2 ‘friend’ so I think it works without those lines.

“I haven’t gone by the name Obi-Wan since oh, before you were born.” Untrue in context to the prequels.

“For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.” A few times in the prequels it is stated that the Republic is only 1000 YEARS old, not generations. Can just cut out “For over a thousand generations”.

“A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights.” Is this right? Anakin HELPED the Empire? This makes it sound that the Empire was around before Anakin joined. No?

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire.” Did Obi Wan serve Bail Organa? Not sure…

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han says a few things about how he doesnt believe jedi/the force exists. It works great in the originals alone but he would of been born around the time of Order 66 surely? If not then soon after. Seems a bit off.

ESB
Yoda: “You are reckless!”
Ben: “So was I, if you’ll remember.”
While we dont get to see Obi Wans youngest years, in context to the prequels, this doesnt appear to be true. Nothing that Obi Wan does seems reckless at all. Ive removed that “so was I” line but I have no idea what Ben could say instead.
https://vimeo.com/368747602

ROTJ
“I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi." Ben says at least one line here to Luke on Degoba that is untrue in context to the prequels. Not sure about the line that I quoted, Qui Gin requested it. I think Ben also states that Anakin was a great pilot when he met him. This is closer to being untrue.

Cadavra said:

Temuera also has quite a few Fett lines in the Battlefront games, including “As you wish” and “worth a fortune to me,” which sound a bit less phoned-in than the lines he recorded for the 2004 DVD.

I didnt know that Temuera Morrison did those voices but your right. I might have to check that out.

Author
Time

Correction: Temura saying “as you wish” is from the Bounty Hunter video game, not Battlefront. It definitely sounds better than the 2004 DVD version, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to isolate from the rest of the audio.

https://youtu.be/MPGmcYhHJE4?t=537

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Adding color to the Emperor’s shuttle creates a strong connection with the prequels.
And of course solves the problem of reusing the same shuttle on ROTJ again and again 😃

alt text

Author
Time

“I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.”
This quote would make more sense if he said Qui-Gon, clearly, but we’d have to establish somehow that Luke knows who Qui-Gon was or else it’d seem odd that he didn’t ask. Putting the name Qui-Gon in “was I any different when [Qui-Gon] taught me” in ESB probably helps this a bit but it still seems odd.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

sade1212 said:

“I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.”
This quote would make more sense if he said Qui-Gon, clearly, but we’d have to establish somehow that Luke knows who Qui-Gon was or else it’d seem odd that he didn’t ask. Putting the name Qui-Gon in “was I any different when [Qui-Gon] taught me” in ESB probably helps this a bit but it still seems odd.

I don’t have the biggest issue with that line, personally. Easy to think that Ben could have swapped in “Yoda” there for “Qui-Gon” or “Mace Windu” or whoever, but decided to use Yoda because Luke was familiar with him.

Arguably, with the PT in mind, the line meaning now is essentially that he was arrogant and thought he could train Anakin as well as the greatest Jedi teacher there is could.

Author
Time

About “Your mother once thought as you do…” there are so many videos on YouTube with James Earl Jones reading The Bible. If anyone can find a verse in the Bible that says “Your mother” and find James Earl Jones saying it… Can it be done??

Author
Time

That’s what my clip did, which Ridley worked on. It’s not in the same tone or rythmn at all, so it’s rough.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time

Here’s a suggestion: remove the part in RotJ were Palpatine refers to Luke’s saber as “A Jedi’s weapon”.

Adywan’s Star Wars Revisited edits are to Blade Runner: The Final Cut as the original theatrical releases of the original trilogy are to the original version of Blade Runner.

Author
Time

FreezingTNT2 said:

Here’s a suggestion: remove the part in RotJ were Palpatine refers to Luke’s saber as “A Jedi’s weapon”.

Does that really contradict the PT, though? We see Vader has a saber throughout the OT, and we know for a fact that it’s not just his leftover Jedi saber, because Ben had that and gave it to Luke. Saying it’s a Jedi’s weapon doesn’t mean he’s saying it’s exclusive to the Jedi.