Sign In

"Now...what shall we talk about?" The All-Inclusive Indiana Jones Thread — Page 2

Author
Time

I am quite pleased at the number of people who actually enjoy Temple of Doom. It has elements that are definitely racially insensitive, and it certainly is quite graphic, but I still thoroughly enjoy it. I actually am pretty certain it was the first Indy movie I saw, as I believe my older siblings would watch it often, and I as an impressionable little tyke would be horrified at the sight of a heart being removed from a man’s chest or dining on eyeball soup. I’m sure that’s partly why I enjoy it so much. It has some great sequences, a frightening villain, and what is probably my favorite climactic scene of the series. I truly enjoy that nail-biting fight on the bridge, which to this day keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Yes, I know that The Last Crusade is very much a rehash of Raiders, with so many of the same secondary characters, the same evil Nazis, a Judeo-Christian McGuffin, a vehicular chase in the desert, and so forth. Nevertheless, I feel it is both unique enough and pulls off its familiar elements well enough that I can’t help but enjoy it.

Hopefully, I will have time to give Frink’s recommended edit of Crystal Skull a gander later this week.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

captainsolo said:

SilverWook said:

Bring back Short Round! Would be nice to see him grown up and following in Indy’s footsteps.

What I was dying for in the fourth film.

I think both Raiders and Temple are those rare things in being perfect films.

I’m sorry but any movie that features Kate Capshaw whining and screaming for 90-ish minutes cannot ever be considered perfect, no matter how good the rest of it might be.

Batman 89 suffers the same flaw (minus the whining and Kate Capshaw and plus the Kim Basinger).

Capshaw’s Willie Scott is definitely a less fun love interest. She’s more of a hindrance than a help. Still, I don’t loathe her the way many do.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darth_ender said:

TV’s Frink said:

captainsolo said:

SilverWook said:

Bring back Short Round! Would be nice to see him grown up and following in Indy’s footsteps.

What I was dying for in the fourth film.

I think both Raiders and Temple are those rare things in being perfect films.

I’m sorry but any movie that features Kate Capshaw whining and screaming for 90-ish minutes cannot ever be considered perfect, no matter how good the rest of it might be.

Batman 89 suffers the same flaw (minus the whining and Kate Capshaw and plus the Kim Basinger).

Capshaw’s Willie Scott is definitely a less fun love interest. She’s more of a hindrance than a help. Still, I don’t loathe her the way many do.

IIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Ugh.

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

Yes, I know that The Last Crusade is very much a rehash of Raiders, with so many of the same secondary characters, the same evil Nazis, a Judeo-Christian McGuffin, a vehicular chase in the desert, and so forth. Nevertheless, I feel it is both unique enough and pulls off its familiar elements well enough that I can’t help but enjoy it.

I wonder if all the TFA-hating-rehasists among us are consistent enough to also hate TLC.

Author
Time

Temple of Doom is probably the only movie that ever scared me. The heart scene quite freaked me out when I saw it (must have been 6 or 7 at the time), and even though I enjoyed the rest of the movie I kinda avoided it for the next couple of years.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

darth_ender said:

Yes, I know that The Last Crusade is very much a rehash of Raiders, with so many of the same secondary characters, the same evil Nazis, a Judeo-Christian McGuffin, a vehicular chase in the desert, and so forth. Nevertheless, I feel it is both unique enough and pulls off its familiar elements well enough that I can’t help but enjoy it.

I wonder if all the TFA-hating-rehasists among us are consistent enough to also hate TLC.

Considering they aren’t consistent enough to hate ROTJ, I’d say no.

Author
Time

I saw Raiders in the theater at age 7. The spiders in the beginning, the snakes in the middle, and the spirits at the end were all quite frightening.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

TV’s Frink said:

darth_ender said:

Yes, I know that The Last Crusade is very much a rehash of Raiders, with so many of the same secondary characters, the same evil Nazis, a Judeo-Christian McGuffin, a vehicular chase in the desert, and so forth. Nevertheless, I feel it is both unique enough and pulls off its familiar elements well enough that I can’t help but enjoy it.

I wonder if all the TFA-hating-rehasists among us are consistent enough to also hate TLC.

Considering they aren’t consistent enough to hate ROTJ, I’d say no.

Good point.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

I too like the idea of bringing Short Round back, but does Jonathan Ke Quan even act anymore? I suppose they could always recast. Might be interesting to go back to Asia, either way, although not sure if it’s a good idea to touch Vietnam or not.

I, too, like the idea of bringing back Short Round. He was a cute kid and a fun sidekick. I thoroughly enjoyed how Indy treated him like an adult, gambling with him, having him drive the getaway car, etc.

I think if we ever do see any Indiana Jones prequels, I’d like to see Wu Han get some air time. He states, “I’ve followed you on many adventures,” and I think I’d like to see at least one of them (even though the OT.com crowd is relentlessly unforgiving of any nods to previous films).

Otherwise, given the timeframe, I could see something involving Berlin or Germany in general. I’ve been saying for awhile it might be fun to do a bit of Nazi zombies but I don’t know if they’ll want to reign it in after the alien backlash.

Cold War Berlin could be interesting. Soviets also experimented with attempted psychic espionage, so that could be interesting (I guess that was part of the intent of the Crystal Skull, though, so maybe that’s too similar). Something related to the nuclear arms race could worthwhile as well, but after nuking the fridge in the last movie and after so many other movies using a disruption of the nuclear balance as a plot device, that too sounds too cliched. Like you say, maybe Vietnam is too much, but perhaps something related to the Space Race might present some opportunities.

The one thing that blows my mind is that it will have been 12 years since KOTCS. That’s only 7 less years than the gap between that and TLC. It’s a real shame they didn’t make at least one in the 90s. That way it wouldn’t quite feel like there’s so much time we’ve missed (and we’d get to see Indy in the 40s).

I couldn’t agree more 😦

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

darth_ender said:

Yes, I know that The Last Crusade is very much a rehash of Raiders, with so many of the same secondary characters, the same evil Nazis, a Judeo-Christian McGuffin, a vehicular chase in the desert, and so forth. Nevertheless, I feel it is both unique enough and pulls off its familiar elements well enough that I can’t help but enjoy it.

I wonder if all the TFA-hating-rehasists among us are consistent enough to also hate TLC.

We should invite them to this thread. I’d love to have the opinions of Alderaan and Mala Strana here.

*pukes*

Author
Time
 (Edited)

captainsolo said:

That said I did recently play Lego Indy and that got me excited again so I think I’m going to dive into more of the novels. I’ve read the novelizations and a book or two which were far better in tone and story than the films had gotten.

I liked Fate of Atlantis but the age and style of the game make it cumbersome these days. The later games are all pretty damn bad and have lackluster stories. Infernal Machine was infernally frustrating on the n64 (that. damn. jeep.) , and Emperor’s Tomb was almost as bad. Staff of Kings is really not worth it, but if it ever comes across the cheap bins I may give it a go. Uncharted is okay, but it doesn’t fill that fedora sized hole in gaming. Why they can’t just give in and let someone really make an amazing game? Why not go nuts and have Rockstar or Rocksteady do it?

Captainsolo, captainsolo! Sir, might I suggest that you…

…It can wait.

No! It can’t! I have to share! Apparently, some guy wrote a fan fiction novelization of The Fate of Atlantis, and readers find it more enjoyable than many of the official novels. I’ve downloaded it but have not yet read it. You might like it. See this thread for details.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20938

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes, the last crystal is garbage. Same as the prequels and sequels in star wars. It’s just a cartoon parody of the originals.

Author
Time

If you weren’t worried, why were you thinking of me when I wasn’t around?

Author
Time

I said I was worried. Don’t twist my words. I’m always thinking about you when you’re not around!

Author
Time

You know, I don’t feel bad giving Alderaan a hard time. After all, in every single dispute he’s had with others…

…Alderaan shot first.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My two cents

The order i saw the Indiana Jones movies had a strong impact on how i evaluate every movie in the series.

My first movie was The Last Crusade. It is (imo) the best Indiana Jones film of all time. Spielberg wasn’t interested doing another roller-coaster ride so he injected a charming & heart warming character drama into the story. It’s not about the grail - it’s about Father & Son who overcome their mutual enstrangement during the adventure. In terms of action & fantasy aspects it demands the least suspension of disbelief from the audience. Great cast, excellent set pieces. All in all a timeless action-adventure movie. Everything Raiders did, this movie does better by far - yes, i said that and i mean it! Some might argue that The Last Crusade is just a mere rehash of Raiders. But don’t forget: Spielberg & Lucas went back to the Raiders formula, because of the harsh reception that Temple of Doom recieved.

Raiders was second in my viewing order. Yes it is a great movie, but strangely this movie does not age very well for me. Everytime i watch it, i see new cracks in its patina.

Temple of Doom was third in my viewing order. It is childish, giggly and feels more like Quatermain movie. Indy is completely out of character and he acts often like a douche in the first half of the film. A fun 80s flick which undoubtely can stand on it’s own, if you erase The Last Crusade and Raiders from your mind.

Kingdom of the Cyrstal Skull … my fourth Indy movie. In the cinema i had a blast watching it. Instantly i thought: better than Temple of Doom. But with every subsequent viewing that movie gradually went down into oblivion. Lazy direction, lame-ass production values, underdeveloped MacGuffin, etc.

The Indiana Jones series (i hate calling it a franchise) belongs to the 80s. Every Indy aspect outside of that era sucked. I don’t want a fifth Indy movie. Ford is too OLD!

Cherish the ride into the sunset…

f

Rogue One is redundant. Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES.
The hallmark of a corrupt leader: Being surrounded by yes men.
‘The best visual effects in the world will not compensate for a story told badly.’ - V.E.S.
‘Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.’ - SilverWook

Author
Time

Haarspalter said:

Raiders was second in my viewing order. Yes it is a great movie, but strangely this movie does not age very well for me. Everytime i watch it, i see new cracks in its patina.

What?! What sort of cracks? Maybe I’m the one looking at the movie through nostalgia goggles, but I’ve never seen Raiders as anything less than a timeless, essentially flawless film.

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Haarspalter said:

Raiders was second in my viewing order. Yes it is a great movie, but strangely this movie does not age very well for me. Everytime i watch it, i see new cracks in its patina.

What?! What sort of cracks? Maybe I’m the one looking at the movie through nostalgia goggles, but I’ve never seen Raiders as anything less than a timeless, essentially flawless film.

Word!

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Haarspalter said:

Raiders was second in my viewing order. Yes it is a great movie, but strangely this movie does not age very well for me. Everytime i watch it, i see new cracks in its patina.

What?! What sort of cracks? Maybe I’m the one looking at the movie through nostalgia goggles, but I’ve never seen Raiders as anything less than a timeless, essentially flawless film.

Word!

That was a paragraph you dingbat.