Inspired by my trip to the multiplex last night to see the always spectacular 1958 film Vertigo, I’m wondering who else has seen some movies in theaters that were originally released before you were born? Well, I guess it doesn’t have to be before you were born, any years later rerelease will do.
Rereleases have become fairly rare, so it can be tricky to see a classic on the big screen. Luckily I always keep an eye out for limited events (like TCM’s Big Screen Classics) and on my nearby revival houses. In my time, I’ve had the chance to see a number of my favorites (and a couple not exactly favorites):
- Singin’ In the Rain
- Raiders of the Lost Ark twice, first time in IMAX
- Lawrence of Arabia
- A Hard Day’s Night
- Blade Runner (The Final Cut) twice, first time 35mm, second time in Dolby Atmos
- Jaws on 35mm
- Back to the Future
- Planet of the Apes
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm on 35mm
- The three Battlestar Galactica movies that were edited together TV episodes, all on 35mm
- Citizen Kane
- F For Fake on 35mm
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Director’s Cut)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey on 70mm
- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial on 35mm
Maybe another I’m forgetting too. It’s a fair amount but I honestly feel like I’m slacking.
What about you guys?